What to Watch: Amusement Park Eats, Food Network Star and Heat Seekers

by in Shows, July 15th, 2011

heat seekers
In between trips to the beach and grilling at the house, gather the family and check out the latest Food Network has to offer this weekend:

Amusement Park Eats
Get ready for the sweetest ride of your life as host George Duran discovers some of the tastiest treats that amusement parks have to offer.  These menus start at cotton candy and corn dogs, and move on to unusual and exotic dishes.
Tune in: Saturday, July 16 at 8:00 p.m. Eastern/ 7 p.m. Central

Food Network Star
It’s midterm time and the finalists are hosting a dinner party for super-chef Wolfgang Puck.
Tune in: Sunday, July 17 at 9:00 p.m. Eastern/ 8 p.m. Central

Heat Seekers Sneak Peek
Follow chefs Aarón Sanchez and Roger Mooking on a tongue-testing odyssey in their new show to discover the most delicious and dangerous spicy food in the country. In each city, they discover the secrets of heat in cuisines like Mexican, Indian and Korean, and then subject themselves to a test of who can handle the heat.
Tune in: Sunday, July 17 at 10:00 p.m. Eastern/ 9 p.m. Central

What to Watch: It’s One Big Party This Weekend on Food Network

Tune into Food Network for a weekend of fun as the chefs gear up for a variety of food-filled parties and competition shows....

1. SuzL says:

Great concept, these guys are overdoing it. Both are great chefs and in their other shows seem much more authentic… Here they are like frat boys trying to sell the audience too hard. Tone it down, show the food and how it's made, a little contest at the end is fun, but this is tough to watch, sorry guys. You're audience isn't made up of only people looking for shock value in some really great dishes, we just really like heat in our f…but love your other shows!

2. jill says:

I LOVE Food Network Star but….watching the judges, especially the ones whose shows I usually enjoy, makes me cringe. Bobby Flay and Giada are so nasty to the contestants that it makes me wonder if they are like this in person. Totally turns me off of them and won't be watching Everyday Italian again any time soon!

3. JohnM says:

"Heat Seekers", aired for the first time tonight, very well done, but the overemphasis and misrepresentation of Cajun food as being flaming hot was unfortunate. It makes no difference to me that Sanchez "cut my teeth" in New Orleans, true Louisiana Cajun food is all about being spicy which is NOT the same as flaming hot. It should have a "kick" or "bite" to it, but should never be flaming hot, except for the minority of people who like it that way. The greatest Louisiana chef ever is John Folse, and he will confirm this fact as well. If Chef Sanchez were judging that flaming hot gumbo on Chopped he would reprimand who ever presented it that way. The show will likely be very successful, but it clearly misrepresented South Louisiana Cajun food.

4. Sherry says:

Watched a bit of Heat Seekers but it feels too one note. Arron and Roger are doing what Guy already does in Tripple D, but with the goal of one flavor profile, hot. It's too similar. We go to the place, we see the folks make the food, the hosts take a bite and say how good it is…and the only bonus, the food is spicy.

Needs to be thought out more and fully rendered, it's not enough to just show us where to go to get good hot food, spend some time talking about the spices, about the combinations, about how fire/smoke/oils affect heat and our experience of it…need something other than a tour of places that serve food with a kick of tabassco and chiles. (And I love hot food).

5. ohiocook says:

Thank God Penny " I'm a legend in my own mind is gone"

6. Paul B. says:

"Heat Seekers" is a great new show. I had never heard of Roger Mooking but he is a perfect fit for this show, and he definitely beat Aaron Sanchez in the heat showdown at the end of the show. Aaaron hardly touched his plate at all, but Roger finished his.

7. Lily says:

Heat Seekers could be a good show but I'm sorry Aaron Sanchez is so unappealing to look at, he is greasy and sweaty all the time and I know FN has tried hard to find a show that he would fit in but he just does not have it. And the two host thing is not doing it for me. It's like the battle on who says something funny and worthwhile faster. And neither of them did.

8. Rico says:

Heat Seekers was okay, but if Aarón Sanchez said "brotha" one more time, I thought I would go insane. It was rather annoying and a bit distracting. Roger was pretty funny and they worked well together, but it was like Hulk Hogan invaded Aarón Sanchez's body! Please brother, please.

9. susan says:

I hope the show "Heat Seekers"survives! Arron Sanchez is a winner no matter what he is doing. The show has a few kinks, but don't they all at first. Arron, I am a big fan.

10. joe says:

Annoying as HELL! I had to dive for the remote after 15 minutes!! Like being taken on a restaurant tour with Cheech and Chong. Please no more shows that follow slobs around stuffing their faces. Show us how to cook instead.