This Week on Food Network’s Star Blog

by in Shows, July 7th, 2011

guy fieri
The seventh season of Food Network Star is in full swing and the writers on the Star blog are dishing. This week, Melissa d’Arabian urges the finalists to be authentic, Guy remembers the anxiety and Penny, once again, stirs the pot. If you missed last week’s episode, catch up with this recap or watch the latest exit interview.

Watch an all-new episode: Sunday, June 26 at 9 p.m. Eastern/ 8 p.m. Central

Food Network’s New Show Hungry Games will Change the Way You Think About Food

Ever wonder why ice cream is so addictive, or why it gives you a brain freeze when you eat it too fast? And how about that restaurant menu item that s...

1. kelly says:

Penny isn't going to win…they know that wouldn't be a good idea. They are just keeping her around and will until the end. Its called RATINGS…..although nobody will watch her actual show …they are watching every week to see what horrible thing she'll do next. The network knows this and is keeping her around for that alone. I think it will be a guy that wins….the last two have been women and well, they're thinking about that as well.

• basillover says:

I stopped watching 2 weeks ago & based on what I've read, I'm glad I did. I just checked in to see who was voted off. Too bad about Orchid. I thought she had a lot of potential. I agree with many others. This group of contestants has very little or no talent at all. No Wow! factor. Boring.

• Meow says:

I don't know about you but as far as I can see the judges really haven't been using much common sense in picking the next stars the last couple of times. Take Arti's Party which is dry and boring and then Melissa with her Ten dollars meals which is so sweet it is sickeing and neither of them did all that good in the shows before they were picked in my opionion but yet they have their own shows.

2. Julia says:

i really dislike Penny, and I agree with Jyll. She's rude, and I definetly would not watch her show if she were to win.

3. Julia says:

I'm really rooting for Whitney because I know I would watch her show, and enjoy watching it as well.

4. Paul says:

I'm so tired of the reality shows that do not have anything to do with cooking. Next Star used to be about showcasing talent, not just show us how they fight. I'm tired of it. Oh, and I'm also tired of "Extreme" shows that are not even close to entertaining. Come on FoodNetwork. We are not all adolescent children that need to be entertained with drama. Most of us turn to you for learning and enjoying food. Please get back to that. Please.

5. ashton says:

i loved last year's food network star season, but this year,there's way too much drama! Every reality show on tv is though. Penny aggravates me sooo much! her show isnt even something i would watch! REALLY how many episodes is she going to shoot making food "sexier"…she's not even sexy! she's made good food on food network star but it has nothing to do with what she wants her show to be! and just by reading the other comments, EVERYONE hates her and it would really suck for food network to lose viewers because they chose penny to be the next food network star. very few of the finalists have potential to win but their attitudes ruin it for them! FOOD NETWORK, PLEASE DONT CHOOSE PENNY!

6. movinslow says:

I was really pissed off to see Orchid eliminated. The judges made a BIG MISTAKE!!! When the judges picked Melissa d’Arabian over Jeffery Saad, I swore I wasn’t going to watch the Food Network Star show anymore. But I figured I’d give it another chance, well this has been the worst group I’ve ever watched. To you folks on the Food Network, wake up! Most of us would like to see what the contestants can offer in their skills with food during the challenges. Not the cat fights and drama that you allow.

The only two left I’d like to see win is either Whitney or Vic… the rest of them are a bunch of ding-a-lings. Leave Whitney alone on her personality! Yours wasn’t so great Bobby Flay when you first started. I disliked your shows because you were a sore loser and arrogant! Now that time has passed , you have out grown those negative qualities and now I can honestly say I do enjoy your shows.

Please keep Susie Fogelson on the panel. She may be harsh in some of her evaluations, but she’s pretty accurate when it comes down to eliminating a contestant. As for the judges in general …….Please don’t ever forget how you got your job on the Food Network Channel. Everyone deserves a chance, just like you got! But you blew it for Orchid, shame on you!

7. kitchenqueen says:

If Food Network teamed up the meanest cook in the world, Penny, with the most boring cook in the world, Ina Garten, I'd watch that.

8. Stunned says:

Instead of being a loyal Food Network viewer, I will be a former FN viewer after I found out that Orchid got the boot. Just because she was nice and didn't rudely interrupt her teammates to talk about her food doesn't seem like a good reason to conclude that she is not a FN star. Even after Orchid talked about her food, the judges did not even seem interested in learning more about the food she prepared. Based on that alone, it seemed obvious that the judges would not like the food she prepared. I thought the FN was trying to integrate the show with chefs with international culinary experience to expose the FN TV viewership to different types of food, and now I realize the FN is only looking for someone who can act like a cast member of the Jersey Shores show to up the TV ratings. How sad!

9. Mountain Woman says:

Posters, you have to all remember that your pleas about sending Penny home (which I agree with, 100%) are falling on deaf ears, because the results have been decided weeks, probably months ago. If Penny does win, we will have to vote with our remote and stop watching FN for at least her miserable 30 minutes per week.

10. Nijole says:

I enjoy watching next foodnetwork star. I have to say, the last time I voted was for Guy many seasons ago. I luv watching him on Triple D. I hope either Vic or Jeff win. They're both fun to watch. I resent Giada saying each judging time how Penny is a strong woman. No, Penny is a backstabbing b****. If she wins, I guarantee I will NOT watch her show. I'm really amazed at how the celebrity chefs come across as jerks on the show. Then again, maybe it's how they really are.

• Lori says:

It is interesting Giada says this. Being a strong woman is not a requisite for hosting a FN show. Having on-camera charisma and being able to cook is. If this is not so, then FN needs to let us in on what they are really looking for in a FN host. Back when Guy was a contestant, he won us over with his fun-natured approach.