Cupcake Wars: Tony Awards

by in Shows, July 13th, 2011

cupcake wars episode 5 cupcakes
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

There’s nothing I look forward to more than returning champions day — to see the familiar faces of former winners “baking it out” makes for great competition and delicious tastings.  Let me also take my hat off to the champions, Doron, Arlene, Rebecca and Victoria, who were willing to take the risk to come back again. They had a lot to lose and it took guts to do.

Florian and I had high hopes for our champions, but it was a rocky start from the very beginning.  In round one, Rebecca wowed us with her molecular gastronomy creativity, but lost sight of the most important factor: baking time for her cupcakes. She was left with over-baked cupcakes and a charred crust.

In round two, we were mystified that no one translated the magic of Broadway into magical decorations.  Were our risk-taking champions playing it safe?  Victoria came closest to embracing the Tony Awards with her comedy-tragedy mask and her larger-than-life “Big Apple” cupcake. In the end, Arlene was the one who put it together the best. Her cupcakes were transformed into guests dressed and seated inside a Broadway theater. Pretty clever indeed.

The Sting of Elimination for a Judge — Alton’s After-Show

It’s no secret that Cutthroat Kitchen judges are secluded from the sabotages taking place during competitions and forced to evaluate the dishes ...

1. Joyce says:

Please post Lori's red velvet recipe! I too would like to know since Florian said he is not big on them but Lori's was great!

2. Susi says:

Wow ! ARe you kidding? Eye candy desserts are sooooooooooo over, lets get fresh and healthy please.

3. Gale says:

I love the team that went home first on this episode they are so creative. They had the best episode win on cupcake wars, food network needs to create a show for them I bet it would do well. I think Florian is awesome and I love his macarons.

4. Deb Li Chin says:

A general comment on the show: The opening of each episode shows us the winning cupcakes! When I recognize the cupcakes during the episode, I already know who won! Please change the opening!

5. Sandy says:

Where is the blog for episode "Work of Art"??

6. Stephanie says:

I wanted Victoria and Rebecca to be the last two.

7. guest says:

Was wondering if Victoria was married Ithink she is a beautiful woman :)

8. Emma says:

I thought Victoria should have won. Arlene's cupcakes were too plain.

9. Meera says:

Y didn't Victoria win? Her cupcakes looked great and actually looked tasty, and Arlene's…not so much.

10. But a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw great style and design . “People forget how fast you did a job – but they remember how well you did it.” by Howard Newton.