Cupcake Wars: Tim Burton Bake-Off

by in Shows, July 6th, 2011

cupcake wars tim burton
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

The wild world of Tim Burton had all of our cupcake bakers very inspired this week, and it also brought out the absinthe, blood orange and currant flavors in round one. Bravo to Nancy for making the first fruitcake I’ve ever really enjoyed. Tiffany did well with her absinthe and goat cheese frosting, though it was dripping off the side. Lori’s textures were lovely, but missing red currant flavor. Bayah did something different by working with tapioca, but her filling didn’t set in time and turned the inside of her cupcake to goo. We were sorry to see her go because her green fairy was a hint of her decorating talents, which we definitely could have used in round two, where both Nancy and Tiffany ended up playing it safe.

cupcake wars episode 3
Nancy’s cupcakes were delicious, whereas Tiffany had major execution issues; Tiffany was the next to go in round two. In the final round, Nancy and Lori took two very different directions: dark and creepy versus fun, colorful and quirky. Two very strong bakers and two amazing displays. It was a tough decision at the judges’ table, but ultimately Lori’s consistent cupcakes and her fantastical display landed her the win.

Bake the winning cupcake recipe: Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes With Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. Liz says:

Please post Lori's red velvet recipe! I too would like to know since Florian said he is not big on them but Lori's was great!

2. Lisa A says:

Please post the tapioca absinthe cupcake Recipe! I would love to see what that would taste like. We all were thinking that has to be yummy!!!

• Danielle says:

I got to taste the tapioca absinthe cupcakes and, maybe it was because the tapioca had time to set in the ones I tried, but I thought it was really good.

3. awesome test says:

Really rarely fdo I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.

4. Acacia says:

I wanted Lori and Bayah to be the final two.
    I am so glad Lori won. I didn't like Nancy.

5. vivian says:

agree as to florian–unintelligible

6. jeri says:

Vivian, did you ever think to read Florians comments at the bottom of the screen? I do agree, however, that he is very difficult to understand at times.

7. ZenaJeans says:

I have watched this show for a while. Blacks don't have a chance on this show. Every time there's a black baker they get cut down before they make it through the first round. Come on people. I think somewhere out there there is a black baker that can bake a cupcake or two, maybe three. But the judges – immediately look at skin color and make an immediate determination we can't let that black win

You can't tell me that a black can't win at some point. Of all the episodes shown not one has won.

8. Lala says:

Am I the only one that notices that cupcake wars never has any black people win, or even people who aren't white for that matter?

9. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it does not disappoint me just as much as this one. After all, I know it was my choice to read through, however I actually thought you’d have something helpful to say. All I hear is a bunch of complaining about something you can fix if you were not too busy searching for attention.

10. Emerald says:

What is up with that woman talking about how Tim burton reminds her of her childhood? Does she consider her twenties her childhood because I doubt she is more than 5 years younger than Tim Burton. Hated her.