Cupcake Wars: Tim Burton Bake-Off

by in Shows, July 6th, 2011

cupcake wars tim burton
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

The wild world of Tim Burton had all of our cupcake bakers very inspired this week, and it also brought out the absinthe, blood orange and currant flavors in round one. Bravo to Nancy for making the first fruitcake I’ve ever really enjoyed. Tiffany did well with her absinthe and goat cheese frosting, though it was dripping off the side. Lori’s textures were lovely, but missing red currant flavor. Bayah did something different by working with tapioca, but her filling didn’t set in time and turned the inside of her cupcake to goo. We were sorry to see her go because her green fairy was a hint of her decorating talents, which we definitely could have used in round two, where both Nancy and Tiffany ended up playing it safe.

cupcake wars episode 3
Nancy’s cupcakes were delicious, whereas Tiffany had major execution issues; Tiffany was the next to go in round two. In the final round, Nancy and Lori took two very different directions: dark and creepy versus fun, colorful and quirky. Two very strong bakers and two amazing displays. It was a tough decision at the judges’ table, but ultimately Lori’s consistent cupcakes and her fantastical display landed her the win.

Bake the winning cupcake recipe: Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes With Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

Get Classic Southern Eats in Alabama — On the Road with The Great Food Truck Race

This week on The Great Food Truck Race, the route took the teams to Alabama. On their first day Tyler had the teams getting their hands dirty — pick...

1. Vicki says:

I have to agree with Jerrie, the comment about Florian Bellanger . I am sure he is a wonderful french chef, but, he doesn't belong on a show where English is spoken. No one in my home can understand him. Can you please hire a judge that we, as an English speaking country, can understand. I am not being prejudice, it's just fact.

The Tim Burton show was awesome, but again, our family just skipped over Florian's comments due to translation.

2. Vicki says:

• Carol says:

I agree that Florian's accent is difficult to understand. Once in while they do put some subtitles in when he speaks, and I like it when they do that. I think they should do it more often because I still can't understand him much of the time, but I do love to know his opinions. I don't want Florian to go away!

3. Barbara Malley says:

Love the show. Would like to see more of the cupcake creating , ingredients and especially decorations. Less drama. Barbara

4. SarahBeth says:

I would love to see that chocolate ganache recipe!

5. Sherrie says:

I was wondering what do you do with the cupcakes of the losing team in the final round? i mean, there are 1,000 cupcakes and I always wondered what you do with them.

6. Anasia Hunter-Collin says:

Why is it that black people never win cupcake wars? I'm going to quit watching it because I don't like what I see.

7. debbie c. says:

Everything isn't always about race, fOod network is a very diverse gRoup maybe you should take another look in the mirror because your the one that is racist, and you should be ashamed to be such a hyprocrite.

8. cloud says:

Would also love Lori's red velvet cupcake recipe!!

9. cloud says:

Would also love Lori's red velvet cupcake recipe!!

10. BrittM says:

ok I know this is off topic… but can anyone tell me who was the band in the background for the split second at the event??? For some reason my mind went straight to A.F.I.
    But anyway I would like all of the two finalist recipies!!! They both look so yummy!!!