Cupcake Wars: Dodgers Cupcakes

by in Shows, July 28th, 2011

cupcake wars dodgers cupcakes
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

Who knew that baseball and cupcakes could go well together? This week’s Dodgers-themed Cupcake Wars was one of our most exciting, bringing out the competitive side in all our bakers.  From Erik’s pan-fried churro cupcake to Vista’s cotton-candy buttercream, Florian and I were amazed at our bakers’ cutting-edge, creative ideas.  Therese pulled out all the stops, too, with her churro-hot dog creation — risky, but unfortunately not tasty.

cupcake wars dodger cupcakes
In round two, Vista wowed us again with her coconut “slider” cupcake — the first of its kind on the show — an incredibly clever new cupcake form. However, her other two cupcakes had serious recipe issues.

In round three, the excitement continued when we were faced with an entirely new situation: Erik clearly did not have 1,000 cupcakes on his display; he had simply run out of time.  While this is usually cause for disqualification, when we counted Courtney’s cupcakes, she was shy of 1,000 cupcakes, too.  Miraculously, the issue was removed from consideration and Erik was saved.  In the end, Courtney’s cupcakes and simple baseball display captured the spirit of the Dodgers most perfectly and she went home as the winner.

Bake the winning cupcake recipe: Chocolate Porter Cupcakes With Ganache, Caramel Corn Crunch and Toasted Meringue

Chicken, or Something Like It — Alton’s After-Show

Chicken has a storied past on Cutthroat Kitchen: Just last season when Giada De Laurentiis stopped by for a special episode, one rival was gifted a wh...

1. chloe says:

this isnt Courtney recipe what happent with the episode "work of art" you didnt wrote it on the fn dish?

2. kay says:

This was a really good episode of "Cupcake Wars". I was intrigued by the Italian buttercream with the cotton candy cupcake. How is that different from my standard buttercream,which I make with 2 sticks of butter,a box of powered sugar,2 tsp. of vanilla,& a dash of salt?

• Hi Kay! It's Mandy from the show and that was my invention! You can check out some details on my blog. http://mandythecupcake.blogspot.com An Italian buttercream is made using egg whites and a pinch of salt with a bit of sugar on a mixer to make a French meringue. Then you add a hot sugar and water syrup cooked on the stove to a "soft ball" sugar state on a candy thermometer, or when a spoonful dipped in ice water can be formed into a soft ball. The heat actually cooks the egg whites and makes a beautiful Italian meringue. When butter is added it creates a silky frosting that can't be beat. It's not as sweet as the powdered sugar variety but so amazing! It can be flavored in so many ways. Hope you are inspired to try something new!

• Chantelle. says:

Hi Mandy:) Do you have a recipe for the cotton candy buttercream you made that you could post please? As I'd love to be able to make it!

3. Gwenyth says:

was that a sentence? I really can't understand what you meant.
    Also, cool that Many posts!

4. Michele says:

I wish they would post Eriks Recipe for his Pan fried Churro cupcake!!

5. Kmarie says:

Yeah! where is the blog for episode "Work of Art"???

6. Alicia says:

I wanted Therese and Vista to be the last two.

7. Vista Miller says:

Thanks Alicia, we did too :) We still had a blast and we so excited to be on the show.

8. JoeB says:

This episode was TERRIBLE!!!! …..terrible.

btw, Candice, where is the blog for the episode Work of Art??

9. What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & help different users like its aided me. Good job.

10. tammy buell says:

I really don't think you guy make the right choice because she had alot of faluts to but wrong person won his display was alot better then her.