Alex Eats: Fresh Peaches

by in Food Network Chef, Recipes, July 12th, 2011

fresh peaches
alex guarnaschelliEvery week, Alex Guarnaschelli, host of Alex’s Day Off, shares with readers what she’s eating — whether it’s from the farmers’ market or fresh off the boat, she’ll have you craving everything from comfort food to seasonal produce.

What is it about a peach that is so seductive? They look so juicy to me. When I see them in any market, they shout to me, “Hello! Over here. Dig in!”

But how do you pick out a good one?

1. Don’t be seduced by the brilliant red color that covers a large part of the fruit. That will change from variety to variety of peach. It is actually the yellow or white areas where you should seek a rich color. A deep yellow hue tells the story of a good peach.

2. Check around the stem area. There should be no green. Green in this area means, in most cases, that the peach was picked before it was ripe.

3. By all means, gently press the fruit with one finger to get an idea of the texture. You should be able to feel that “mealy” fruit flesh — they should also be firm but, ideally, “give” a little, as well.

4. If you are not planning on using your peaches the same day you buy them, place them in a closed paper bag at room temperature. This will allow them to continue ripening and stay at a good temperature until you are ready to use.

5. Avoid peaches that are visibly bruised or that have soft spots.

A note from Alex:
I have put peaches through this test of standards only to bring them home, cut them open, and find they are mushy or mealy. If that’s the case:

• Roast or grill them in wedges and glaze them with some warmed apricot or peach jam and a squirt of fresh lemon juice.
  • Sauté them with a splash of white wine and boiled honey. Any flavor combo where there is a splash of acidity — lemon juice, vinegar, wine — and an additional sweetener -– sugar, honey, agave — and your peach recipe will be a winner.

Macaroni and Cheddar Cheese — Meatless Monday

What better way to celebrate Meatless Monday than with a classic, cozy favorite? This Rachael Ray dish is here just in time for autumn, a warm and cre...

1. LORI WARNKE says:

I THINK THAT ALEX'S ANSWER TO A BAD PEACH IS A GRATE IDEA
    IT HAPPEN'S WITH FRUIT YU DON'T WANT TO JUST THROW AWAY YOUR
    MONEY. I JUST HAPENED TO BUY SOME PEACHES TODAY SO FAR THEY
    TASTE GOOD.IT'S MY FAVORITE FRUIT.THANK'S FOR THE TIP'S.
    LORIWARNKE

• Jay says:

To Lori Warnke. Typing all uppercase letters makes your comments extremely hard to read. All uppercase is also considered an insult, as it's a sign of anger or yelling at other commentors.
      Please use your keyboard as it is intended.

2. Steven Spencer says:

You can also use overripe peaches for a smoothie or as a addition to Ice Cream to make it peach Ice Cream because Vanilla can be boring at times :)

3. SweetBobbyJ says:

You know, l can, uh, eat a peach for hours. ~Castor Troy, Face/Off

4. Can I just sayf what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

5. rude says:

why are you yelling your comment!

6. Great post! Thanks for sharing! I'll try to keep up with you.

7. I simply had to appreciate you again. I do not know the things that I could possibly have created without the type of solutions shown by you directly on such topic. It has been a very alarming matter in my view, but taking note of your specialized technique you resolved the issue made me to weep for happiness. I am happy for your advice and even wish you really know what an amazing job you’re undertaking educating the mediocre ones using your blog. Most probably you’ve never got to know all of us.

8. Karon Fitz says:

Appreciate it for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting info. “Every man is the architect of his own fortune.” by Appius Claudius.

9. Thank you for another fantastic post. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.