Vegging Out on Father’s Day

by in View All Posts, June 17th, 2011

father's day vegetarian menu
During this past Wednesday’s “Ask the Editor” feature on Food Network’s Facebook page, we received numerous questions about putting together a vegetarian menu for Father’s Day — ask and you shall receive.

Start the meal off with Spicy Thai-Style Pineapple Wraps: juicy pineapple is infused with classic Thai flavors like lime, chili paste, cilantro and peanuts. Next, knock the pescatarian dad off his feet with these Jumbo Shrimp stuffed with a flavorful mixture of garlic, jalapeno, scallions and cilantro, which adds vibrant color to this two-bite appetizer.

Bring the steakhouse home (vegetarian style) with these Grilled Portobello Burgers topped with a sweet onion jam flavored with thyme, honey and red wine. Anyone can serve a side of fries, so shake things up and try Giada’s Fried Zucchini sticks coated with Parmesan and panko breadcrumbs. For a foolproof side dish, Rachael Ray rubs this Mexican-Style Grilled Corn with a spicy jalapeno, lime, garlic and paprika butter.

If your Dad loves classic shows like Happy Days, bring him back to Arnold’s Drive-In with these Crunchy Chocolate Malt Cupcakes made with malted milk powder — it turns a regular cupcake into a nostalgic sweet treat.

Restaurant Hosts Colonial Feast for Thanksgiving and Other Historical Meals

The menu will include slabs of venison, root vegetables, dark rye, succotash and hasty pudding for dessert....

1. esther smith says:

why does guy have so many shows. I do not like to watch him.

2. Thanks for the great recipe ideas FN, but labeling them as VEGETARIAN? Fail. Although I might whip up Giaddas zucchini fries…better luck next time?!

3. Laura says:

Vegetarian menu. Shrimp? Am I missing something here? Shrimp do not belong on a "vegetarian" menu.

• Ann says:

I think all of you are missing the word Pescatarian Dad's. One's who eat seafood, like shrimp. Sort of a mix, like ovo-lacto vegetarian vs vegan. Just a play on words and preferences.

• Leerla73 says:

Thanks for pointing this out and clarifying, it really helped and educated me today. I looked up pescatarian for confirmation but found out it's spelled with a "e" after the "c". So, FN messed that part up. Kudos for posting. It also helped in replying to a tweet, thanks!

4. @shippey says:

One thing the FN constantly screws up is what is vegetarian. Shrimp is not for most. Using chicken broth in a a recipe certainly is not for all. I have seen this before while they call it veg. I am always shaking my head at my television. Mind you, I am not veg myself, but I like accuracy!

• Michelle says:

Funny, I thought the same thing. I am vegan and I don't eat shrimp nor would I touch butter or parmesan cheese as they are dairy products and I don't know any vegetarians that would use chicken broth. I LOVE Food Network but they dropped the ball on this one.

5. heather says:

Yea I think you guys are missing the whole point.its not about being vegetarian.

6. Adam says:

actually yes that was the point.. it specifically says they got numerous letters about vegetarian menus for fathers day, so the shrimp was completely unnecessary

7. Leerla73 says:

PESCETARIAN – 1 dictionary result
    Main Entry: pescetarian
    Part of Speech: n, adj
    Definition: a vegetarian who will eat fish; also called pescevegetarian, piscetarian