Goodbye Food Pyramid, Hello Food Plate

by in News, June 2nd, 2011
usda food plate
Photo: USDA.gov

Today, the USDA and First Lady Michelle Obama introduced MyPlate, the updated version of the American nutrition guide — the food pyramid.

The new diet incorporates these seven key messages:

Balancing Calories:
1. Enjoy your food, but eat less.
2. Avoid oversized portions.

Foods to Increase:
3. Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
4. Make at least half your grains whole grains.
5. Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.

Foods to Reduce:
6. Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals — and choose the foods with lower numbers.
7. Drink water instead of sugary drinks

[via choosemyplate.gov]

For more on MyPlate, visit Healthy Eats.

Portable Espresso Maker Delivers a Shot of Caffeine with a Few Quick Pumps

You’re sitting in your office, your car, a hotel room or the middle of nowhere, or you’re on a biking or camping trip — or heck, you’re ju...

1. Mary says:

What a wasted opportunity. Where are the healthy fats? Fats are ESSENTIAL to human life. Grains are not.

2. Allen says:

the only thing that's missing is the size of the plate. I'm assuming it's a 12", but people could interpret it as a 10" or 14" plate, which would make a difference.

• kch says:

you are 100% correct!!! My Dr. told me that it should be the size of a LUNCHEON plate, not a dinner plate that you find now on the shelves (which most are almost 12"!) AND there should be a space of
      at least ONE INCH between each of all the selections. I'm a walking testament to this. With this information, I lost 30 lbs!! in about 6 months! For the dessert, I ate a cookie or cooked apples, in a small portion. I was satisfied and full.

3. Diana Murdock says:

Is this it?? Where does it specify which foods constitute protein, etc.? Many people don't know that beans, for example, belong in the protein group. And why is the larger of the two groups on the left side of the circle at the bottom, while the larger of the two on the right side is at the top? Furthermore, what is that dairy circle doing near the grains? Are people supposed to melt cheese over that section of the plate? I guess it doesn't really matter, though. People who are informed don't need it, and people who were confused by the food pyramid will be just a bit more confused by the plate.

• SweetWoman says:

Drama to the Queen..Hello…its plain and simple look at the plate! Its a beautiful simple way to eat…..only I …..am wondering where the dessert is!

4. EATnLISTEN says:

Makes sense, I think this is a muchneeded change from the food pyramid.

5. Chris says:

The Food Plate is essentially an updated version of the Basic Four Food Groups which was the healthy nutrition model long before the Food Pyramid was introduced. Most folks know that they should consume plenty of fresh fruit and veggies, healthy protein, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products. Most people also know that they should avoid high-fat foods, too many sweets and salty snacks, and excess alcohol. The Food Plate offers the basics of a healthy diet without the minor details in the Food Pyramid.

• Diana Murdock says:

I basically agree, although I'm not sure about the "most folks" part. But if they know all that, they don't need a picture of a plate with four words and a dairy circle.

6. Mary says:

What a wasted opportunity. Where are all the healthy fats? Fats are ESSENTIAL to human life. Grains are not.

7. satish says:

This is a step in the right direction, although the picture of the plate does not tell you what exactly you need to eat for protein (fish vs. red meat vs. beans) or whether your grains should be whole grains. Hopefully people will read the seven key messages as well before making decisions from the plate only.

8. bobby_fillet says:

I thought there were only 3 basic food groups: beer, chips, and salsa.

9. kch says:

I personally don't like the government intervention. If most people would just cut out buying their lil deb.
    cakes and heavy snacks, and eat a dang good meal with veggies, etc., it would cut out most of the diabetes, and other illnesses! Too many CARBS are being consumed.
    Many people are on food stamps. I'm a check out gal at a grocery store and I can't BELIEVE what people are allowed to buy on these! Horrifying! They're buying stuff that I can't even afford to buy (in the quantities that they are buying)! And they don't care because it's not THEIR money that they're using! The food "pyramid" is not even in their vacabulary!

10. Tracy says:

Whatever one's beliefs are we all have free will … meaning, you need to read and educate yourself and know that you are responsible for your weight. The plate is better than the pyramid as it gives a better visual. People need to remember, there are many Americans that are either not responsible enough or educated enough to educate themselves or their children .. so, the government's information is necessary for those that fall through the crack.