This Week on Food Network’s Star Blog

by in Shows, June 30th, 2011

justin balmes
The seventh season of Food Network Star is in full swing and the writers on the Star blog are dishing. This week, Melissa d’Arabian gives the finalists pep talks, Paula makes a surprise appearance and Orchid reins in Chris. If you missed last week’s episode, catch up with this recap or watch the latest exit interview.

Watch an all-new episode: Sunday, June 26 at 9 p.m. Eastern/ 8 p.m. Central

Beware of Oncoming Eviliciousness

Chefs know that when they compete on Cutthroat Kitchen, they’re subjecting themselves to all manners of ruthless sabotages, but  now it seems ...

1. Debbie Parente says:

Penny is not a good representative of the Food Network Star and the longer she is kept on the show makes people second guess their choice for watching the show. She has no morals and has traits that belong on Reality T.V. Is that what The Next Food Network Star is all about now? Shame on Susie for chastising Jyl and the others when she knows full well Penny is the one that needed reprimanding. Hopefully FNS will see the light and get rid of Penny once and for all. She gives FNS a bad name.

• 1MamawBubbles says:

I agree! I wouldn't watch a show with her as the star if they paid me a $1,000. an episode. They keep saying she is "assertive". I say she is aggressive, viscious, and phony.

2. Dr. Chet says:

As my wife and I watch the NFNS, I wonder how many of today's stars would have won this competition. In the shows that reviewed how they began, it's doubtful some could have cut it based on the "Star" criteria that seems to dominate the evaluation process. Giada? Tyler? Paula? They are great today but when you watch how they began, I question whether they would have survived this type of competition. Face it: there is only one Guy.

3. Lou says:

When is someone going to tell Fieri how stupid he looks wearing his sunglasses on the back of his head? He's seems like such a dumba– anyway, that he probably would not even get it.

4. bookie poo says:

___It is getting annoying that they even keep giving so much attention to Penny. This is a TV show, yes you have to be able to cook but that to me is second on a cooking TV show. Please don't bash what I am saying, I get that your food has to be great but I would not "watch" Penny long enough to get to the recipe or food portion of the show. If I wanted to watch drama, I would watch MTV, or the Real Housewives. I think this season has been very disappointing, in the fact that the judges go out of there way to control each contestant just enough to force the one they want off the show. Though not a fan of either, both Justin's were pushed off the show. I think it is hysterical that they thought Justin B had an attitude and no personality and there stands Penny. I would rather here more stories about the contestants lives, their walks so far then the drama. This has the potential to be a great show but the judges ( who are probably doing exactly what the producers tell them) are holding it back. Susie saying "Poor Pitiful Penny" was just over the top for me, but yet Chris got in trouble for not making the correct eye contact with her. Just ridiculous.
    _

• ddp says:

I agree. This is the worst season of this show. This is not supposed to be a soap opera that lives on car fights. Get rid of Penny now and maybe it will again resemble a cooking competition.

• basillover says:

I think Susie F. has become self-righteous & too big for her britches…

5. MN Susan says:

Penny may make tasty food but her nasty aggressive personality brings down the image of a Food Network Star. We that watch the network are on there for the FOOD – not personalities. We are looking for new ways to present our own food….not how to act in front of our families and friends. She was a bad choice to begin with in the first place. There is something called integrity of product – this is not knock down drag out reality TV. Judges to save your reputations and that of the network, please eliminate Penny!

6. cathy says:

When are you going to let Penny GO!? OMG ……She has a horrible personality, i dont care if her food is tasty, i would NOT watch a show with her in it. She is MEAN, MEAN, MEAN! She can cook well, ok, so go make your good food in the kitchen of a resturant, she does not have the people skills to be a Food Network Star, LET HER GO.

7. TNDebbie says:

I too can't believe Penny is still on the show – her attitude stinks. I would not watch her no matter how good her food is. There just is no reason for a person to be mean, you can be confident and secure and you don't have to be mean and nasty. When Susie chastised Jill – I couldn't believe it. Wake up Susie – Penny is the one at fault – not the other chefs in the house. Please dump Penny before it's too late.

8. pattycooks says:

Get rid of Penny and that creepy frat boy, Chris. Personally, I want to watch chefs cook, want to learn about food and techniques. Don't want any drama mamas or cleavage or school boy antics. It's not why I watch Food Network. It's getting harder and harder to find REAL food programming on this network. I hope Susie and Bob wise up and stop trying to make like this is MTV instead of Food TV. Enough with the hacks. Get some REAL cooks and chefs back on!

9. meg says:

I really want Penny gone. Her attitude is so awful and she really has no respect for others; yet, boy, is she willing to turn on the tears in front of the judges – I would NEVER watch a show with her as the host – she is cut throat and mean-spirited. I'm not looking for Food Network to become Bravo with all the bad housewives – have some integrity, Food Network, pick people who can cook AND are good role models!

10. lucretia says:

Penny must go. I would never watch a show with her as the host (or a guest).

• Merlene says:

I am so glad to see i am not alone in wanting Penny to go. I feel the same way, i would never watch a show with her as the host. I can hardly stand her.

• Leigh Ann says:

I absolutely agree! Every week I hope she gets kicked off!

• ddp says:

I could not agree more. This is the worst season ever of this show, and I used to love watching it. It has become a bad soap opera with cat fights, not a cooking competition where we have any clue what the contestants can do. There are only two that I would even consider watching on a show. This is a disaster and a waste of time.