Cupcake Wars: Off to the Races

by in Shows, June 16th, 2011

cupcake wars episode 1
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

Cupcake Wars Season 3 opened with an exciting Kentucky Derby-themed challenge that was all about the booze: mint juleps and hurricanes.  Three contestants played it safe with mint-julep inspired cupcakes, but Carla concocted a whirl-wind of flavor in her Hurricane Cupcake, which really impressed us. James and Annette went too easy on the booze, while Tara’s cupcake packed so much it sent her packing. We would have loved to enjoy her fun, spunky personality much longer!

candace nelson
In Round Two, most cupcakes were appropriately adorned with horseshoes and hats, but one cupcake stood out of the bunch — James’s Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake was just a mess.  We loved that James really brought on the bourbon in this round, however the Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake was hardly a fit for such an elegant and esteemed affair.

In Round Three, we saw two spectacular displays from both Carla and Annette, using two very different approaches. Though either would have done the Derby proud, Annette’s recreation of the Derby logo, complete with trophies and real roses, did the best job of capturing the history and future of the Kentucky Derby!

Get the winning recipe: Peaches n’ Cream Cupcakes

kentucky derby cupcakes

Bobby Speaks Out: His Advice to Battle Rivals and His Culinary Weak Spots

Between Iron Chef America, Throwdown and the premiere season of Beat Bobby Flay, Bobby Flay has faced his share of culinary competitors. He’s no...

1. dela says:

What happens to all the losing cupcakes? I can send you my address. Joke! Lady Eileen

2. dela says:

I love Cupcake Wars. Sometimes I diagree about the winning display but, this show is very entertaining.

3. Aurora says:

I liked the Peaches N Cream Cupcakes but I REALLY WANT THE RECIPE FOR THE HURRICANE CUPCAKE THAT CARLA MADE. HOW CAN I GET IT??? PLEASE HELP????

4. Mariella says:

Exactly the final two I was rooting for.

5. Dee says:

I am convinced this show is a joke. Please, how hard is it to make a cupcake…lol. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching people cook, but this show is overly complicated. Not to mention, I stopped watching this show when I realized that I have never seen a black person win this show. I think black people should stop applying to be on this show, the judges are bias. I'll be happy when this show goes off the air.

• Lily says:

There was one episode where a black lady won. Only one though….like you, every time the black person male/female is voted off usually pretty early in the show.

• Mick says:

Florian's criticisms: Sadly from birth he smugly has had his nose in a part of his anatomy that does not permit him to enjoy the aromas and therefore the flavors of the contestants' cupcakes. Pray that he can find a medical specialist to help him have that remedied.

6. Meera says:

Florian, y do u insult everyone for taking risks or playing safe?

7. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually used to be a enjoyment account it. Look complex to more delivered agreeable from you! By the way, how can we keep up a correspondence?

8. JANUARY2 says:

IF ANYONE IS LISTENING PLEASE WRITE WITH THE HECK FLORIAN IS SAYING OR JUST GET RID OF HIM I AM SICK OF TRYING TO FIGURE WHAT COMES OUT OF HIS MOUTH. I THOUGHT THIS WAS AN AMERICAN SHOW AT LEAST GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO CONJUGATE A VERB!!!

9. kristi says:

I'm I the only one that notices that some of these cooks DO NOT pull their hair back. I can't stand to watch sometimes, they are touching hair/face then right into preparing. YUKES!!

10. easy forex australia says:

Thanks after the writeup. I categorically assent to with what you are saying. I maintain been talking yon this extenuate a scads lately with my mam so expectantly this temper air keep back of him to espy my point of view.