Cupcake Wars: Off to the Races

by in Shows, June 16th, 2011

cupcake wars episode 1
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

Cupcake Wars Season 3 opened with an exciting Kentucky Derby-themed challenge that was all about the booze: mint juleps and hurricanes.  Three contestants played it safe with mint-julep inspired cupcakes, but Carla concocted a whirl-wind of flavor in her Hurricane Cupcake, which really impressed us. James and Annette went too easy on the booze, while Tara’s cupcake packed so much it sent her packing. We would have loved to enjoy her fun, spunky personality much longer!

candace nelson
In Round Two, most cupcakes were appropriately adorned with horseshoes and hats, but one cupcake stood out of the bunch — James’s Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake was just a mess.  We loved that James really brought on the bourbon in this round, however the Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake was hardly a fit for such an elegant and esteemed affair.

In Round Three, we saw two spectacular displays from both Carla and Annette, using two very different approaches. Though either would have done the Derby proud, Annette’s recreation of the Derby logo, complete with trophies and real roses, did the best job of capturing the history and future of the Kentucky Derby!

Get the winning recipe: Peaches n’ Cream Cupcakes

kentucky derby cupcakes

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. Daisymae says:

Are you going to show the winning recipes like the past 2 seasons?

2. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be on the show! We are overwhelmed with our victory and will forever cherish it! it was amazing meeting you all and it was a chance of a lifetime!

• Rosa Lugo says:

You rock Annett! Glitter and all. You're cupcakes are amazing and this display was simply clean, elegant and tempting!

3. limor says:

hello Annett! and Congratulations with the winning, can i have your 3 recipes from the secont challenge.

please,

4. Daisymae says:

I am glad you won. Loved your cupcakes. They usually post the recipes the day after the show aired, but I can't find them. Is there a way you could email them to me.
    Thanks.

5. limor says:

hello goodie girl can you send me the second challenge recipes?
    to : phi_trhly@walla.co.il

good day.
    limor.

6. Nell says:

I have a question. What do you do with the losing displays on Cupcake Wars?

7. j wogoman says:

It's a shame that the judges really didn't know what the derby is all about. Men do not wear hats to the derby. There are parties all over the state on derby day and one of the desserts usually served is strawberry shortcake!! Shame on the judges for not doing their homework

• Moi says:

While I love candace, florian can b so mean! (the guest judge agrees w. Whatever the other two judges say.) lol!

8. Motherlove2U says:

I would like to know how I can help with eather wedding cake or cupcakes. I lost my job a few weeks ago and i still want a elegant wedding. Can anyone offer any help. wedding date 3/17/11

9. Eleanor says:

Annette, I luv how u use edible glitter to glam up ur cupcakes!

10. Jay says:

Great job! I hoped you rocked the derby with your cupcakes and your display. Another thing I loved the skirt.