8 New Food Trucks Ready to Roll

by in Shows, May 21st, 2011

great food truck race contestants
The second season of The Great Food Truck Race is hitting the road, with chef Tyler Florence returning as host. While you’ll have to wait until Sunday, August 14 to watch the first episode, we can give you a first look now.

Eight trucks from around the country, with three contestants each, embark on a culinary road trip, coming face-to-face with conditions including: weather problems, location mishaps, food sourcing issues and ever-changing customer taste buds. Let’s not forget to factor in the dynamic of the teams, many of them with existing relationships such as: brother and sister, best friends, mother and son and husband and wife to-be.

What’s on the line? The last truck standing wins $100,000 ($50,000 more than last year’s grand prize) and bragging rights.

Meet the road warriors:
great food truck race contestants
Cafe Con Leche from Los Angeles, Calif.
Specialty: Authentic Cuban cuisine

Devilicious from San Diego, Calif.
Specialty: Comfort food

Hodge Podge from Cleveland, Ohio
Specialty: Midwestern comfort food

Roxy’s Grilled Cheese from Boston, Mass.
Specialty: Gourmet grilled cheese

Seabirds from Costa Mesa, Calif.
Specialty: Organic vegan and local street food

Sky’s Gourmet Tacos from Los Angeles, Calif.
Specialty: Mexican food with a splash of soul

The Lime Truck from Irvine, Calif.
Specialty: California beach cuisine

Korilla BBQ from New York, N.Y.
Specialty: Korean BBQ

Tune in: Sunday, August 14 at 10 pm/9c

“It’s Dress-Up Time Again” — Alton’s After-Show

From souffle suits to Greek-inspired togas, Alton Brown‘s not one to shy away from costumes, as the Cutthroat Kitchen host has gleefully auction...

1. lovelivininco says:

I love this show!!! But I would like to know why The Seabirds and Lime truck think it is okay to make rude remarks about every town they visit. If the Seabirds did some research, they would see that vegans are everywhere and assuming that because a town in small or not in California, they have no vegans, is pure ignorance. I for one was glad to see them and their negativity go. I also thought Lime trucks remarks in Kansas were rude as well and I hope they are the next to go.

2. Janet says:

I'm afraid this season will come down to me rooting for the truck I dislike the least.

3. bheemax says:

Seabirds won the $5 competition at the start of the show in Manhattan, Kansas on the last episode and were promised a huge advantage by giving them an exclusive parking spot. I think they had absolutely no advantage given the crowds in the park nearby where the rest of the trucks parked. Food Network should have thought this through, when then picked a small town for this competetion. Word spread fast and the whole town was down there to taste the food.

• tootiredtothink says:

You need to read the interview. The seabirds admit they were slow. Also they said they were vegan and had pulled pork on their menu.

4. sophie says:

There's no way to run a fair contest this season. The trucks are give a certain sum of money to stock their trucks yet they can go to any store and get credit. They can also line up parking places before they get to any city and they can also hire themselves out as caterers. How is this fair accross the board? It's not, the so called "contest" comes down to who you know. I won't watch this program anymore. The first season was good but only because the contestants hadn't figured out ways to cheat.

• tootiredtothink says:

They still have to pay the credit back and that credit was done in the episode where they didn't get any funds or limited funds.

As for the catering thing that was offered to one truck.

As for lining up first season a couple of trucks did that such as the Nom Nom truck.

5. jersey shop says:

Born in Bloomfield, N.J., to Italian immigrants, Mr. Avati jersey shop (1912-2005) was raised in Little Silver by an aunt who eventually married his the jersey shop father. (His mother died when he was baby.)

6. evan says:

OMG I LOVE THE GREAT FOOD TRUCK RACE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH THAT I WOULD DIE IF I EVEN MISSED ONE EPISODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Mary says:

Frankly I feel the Lime Truck was given unfair advantage with a dollar amount of 1500.00 for the last challenge. Hodge Podge out cooked and out sold them. I could agree if the field had not been rigged
    so one-sided., a $500.00 bonus would have been a fairer amount.

8. Marilyn Hutchinson says:

I watched some of the shows this year. I watched the one that you aired from Manhattan,Ks. As a life long Kansan I was offended at the attitude of the contestants toward our state. Especially the Lime Truck. That one guy was very insulting. I know that most people from the West coast & East coast think we are backward here in Kansas. That only shows your ignorance. People your age don't study history anymore, if you did you'd know how many people from Kansas have contributed so mjuch to this country & even the world This is the home of the aircraft business. It began here. We gave Dwight D Eisenhower to Europe & this country. I could go on & on,but it proobably wouldn't matter. You all think we're dumb out here. .

9. hassin212 says:

This is super cool. Tires are definitely one thing you want to make sure you have done your research on. Check out http://besttrucktires.net for more information

10. I really like the stuff you put in here. Very applicable information. Consider yourself book-marked.