Marcela’s Last Minute Food and Party Tips for Cinco de Mayo by FN Dish Editor in Holidays, May 5th, 2011
- Comments (4)
Want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but you’re short on time to prepare a full fiesta? Marcela Valladolid of Food Network’s Mexican Made Easy is sharing her five simple tips to throw a quick Cinco de Mayo party at home with your family and friends.
1. Instead of making a sit-down dinner, try serving a cocktail spread with just two or three small bites.
2. Come up with one signature cocktail, that way you don’t have to stock a full bar.
3. Set the mood by adding Latin pop music to your music player! I grew up with Mariachis and love them dearly, but there’s much to explore in terms of good Mexican music. Download Julieta Venegas, Luis Miguel, Mana, Paulina Rubio and countless others.
4. Get creative with your décor, but use what you already have around the house. You can go with the traditional colors of the Mexican flag (green, white and red), but you can also give it a more modern feel by using candles, different colored napkins and place settings.
5. Keep your guests entertained. I love piñatas, but instead of putting candy in them, I buy tons of scratch lottery tickets, which guarantees adult participation!