Alton Brown Wins James Beard Award for Best TV Food Personality

by in Food Network Chef, May 9th, 2011

alton brown
The James Beard Foundation kicked off its awards weekend this past Friday in New York City with the Book, Broadcast and Journalism Awards Dinner.  Food Network’s own Ted Allen co-hosted the event with Bravo’s Top Chef: Just Desserts host Gail Simmons. Together, they helped announce winners for categories like Best Personal Essay, Best Cookbooks and Best Television Program (click here for a complete list of winners).

One Food Network personality walked away with a big win: Alton Brown took home the award for Best TV Food Personality for his show Good Eats. However, this is not Alton’s first James Beard Award. In 2003, Alton won the award for “Best Reference Book” with “I’m Just Here For the Food.” Nominees also up for this award included Bobby Flay for Cooking Channel’s Brunch @ Bobby’s and Duff Goldman for Ace of Cakes.

Tonight, The James Beard Foundation will host the Awards Ceremony and Gala Reception at Lincoln Center to honor the chefs and restaurateurs who have made the food industry unforgettable in 2010.

Congratulations, Alton!

Food Network Favorites Share Breakfast with Local Schoolchildren

It’s no secret that breakfast is the most-important meal of the day, but nevertheless many children go to school hungry, having not had breakfas...

1. lupislune says:

Food Network should play more Good Eats episodes, like they did formerly, even if they are repeats.

2. Cat Z says:

I've been using AB's recipes and wisdom for years…Congrats!

3. Donna Kulick says:

Congradulations! Yiu deserve it.I love your shows. I wish you would have more. I miss you on Eats

4. Kate says:

Congratulations Alton!! You definitely deserve it. Many cooking shows are vaguely entertaining, but if I want the exact step by step to make something absolutely awesome every time, Good Eats never fails. Wish there were more episodes being aired, even reruns would be great. Best wishes to you and all of your endeavors, and thanks again for all of the excellent instruction!!! :-)

5. JerseyGirl567 says:

I am so happy for Alton Brown! He is the greatest. He does explain everything, detail by detail. I also love watching Iron Chef America because he is the best commentator. Congrats to you Alton!

6. Jackie N. says:

Alton is the best! I have been cooking since the age of 8(I'm now 59) & I have learned so much watching "'Good Eats"! "Iron Chef" is another fave because of Alton's commentary. Keep on doing what you do so well Alton – You have faithful fans watching!

7. Donita says:

Alton is a wonderful chef (take some of those folks off who aren't chefs and put him back on !) My 25 year old son has taken on a whole new enjoyment of cooking after watching you. YOU DESERVED THIS AWARD – CONGRATULATIONS!!!

8. Pudgiecat says:

Congratulations! Good Eats has been my favorite cooking show since it first came on the air. Always interesting, informative and entertaining.

9. Barb says:

I have seen an article in the Chicago newspaper that the end of Good Eats is true. Alton, please reconsider! You not only taught me to cook, you also taught me how the different ingredients worked together. Good Eats is the single best show on the Food Network!

10. Keri-Ann says:

I've been watching food network since I was 2 (i'm now 21) and the one show I could never miss was Good Eats. Thank you Alton for showing me the science behind the joys of food. Congratulations on the James Beard…you deserve it.