Random Quick Bread Combinations

by in Food Network Magazine, April 26th, 2011

banana bread
When I was developing the Mix-and-Match Quick Bread story for Food Network Magazine’s May issue, I was taking a statistics class in graduate school, so math was on the brain. The whole concept of our mix-and-match stories is to give the reader (you) the ability to come up with an endless number of combinations using our suggested ingredients. With that in mind, I decided that I needed to make the whole development process as random as possible, to ensure that any combination would work. I typed up little slips of paper, each with the name of a potential ingredient. Then, I had my fellow test kitchen members (Andrea, Bob and Claudia) blindly pick out ingredients.

Here are some of the random combinations we got:

Pear-Pistachio-Raisin

Carrot-Almond-Apricot-Oat

Banana-Pecan-Cherry

Zucchini-Hazelnut-Date-Chocolate Chip

paper slips
Believe it or not, “chance” did a pretty good job of picking quick-bread combos. You can decide what your favorites are or you can leave it to chance. Try one of the combinations pictured in the May issue, or use the random method to pick your own.

Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips and Chocolate Glaze

Carrot Bread With Hazelnuts, Coconut and Cream Cheese Glaze

Zucchini Bread With Dried Cranberries and Vanilla Bean Glaze

By Leah Brickley, Recipe Tester

How Do You Take Your Pie?

Food Network Magazine wants to know how you prefer pie. Answer the poll questions below, then see how your pastry opinion stacks up to others’ t...

1. Margaret says:

I have never made a recipe using this method—but was curious enough to try. The Banana Bread with chocolate chips and chocolate glaze looked sooo good that even my husband (who doesn't look at my Food Network magazine unless he is looking at pictures) told me to try it.
    YUMMY!! The combination was really nice. We melted chocolate bars over the top when the bread came out of the oven. (again my husbands' suggestion) This recipe was a keeper. I will still make my tried and true banana bread——but am thinking that for the holidays———–hmmmmmm

2. Hoosiergirl says:

I made this bread for a school carry in lunch. I mixed pear, dried mango, coconut and walnut. It was so delicious!!! Moist and was gone in a flash. Can hardly wait to try another combo.

3. tiziana says:

it probably sounds weird but i made chocolate chip zucchini bread.

4. boo says:

I'm made zuchinni blueberry bread, it is a great combo

5. Lori says:

Chocolate goes with almost anything!!! I've marbled 2 quick bread recipes together also — Eggnog and Chocolate and it turned out delicious. Since each recipe makes one loaf it's easy to make one batch of each and then split each batch between 2 loaf pans. I've seen other quick bread recipes that would be great with the chocolate also — strawberry, mango, etc.

6. Timy says:

Thanks for a very interesting recipe, probably will try to cook on the weekends for family

7. Hello there, I discovered your blog via Google while searching for a similar matter, your website came up, it seems to be great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

8. An interesting discussion is price comment. I believe that you should write extra on this topic, it won’t be a taboo subject but typically people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers