SXSW Festival: Eating Austin

by in News, March 14th, 2011
downtown burger
Cheap, fast and delicious

A few members of the Food Network team hightailed it to Austin, Texas this week for the South by Southwest media conference. I’m happy to report Austin is an excellent food town, so while we’re learning ways to make your experiences on our site even cooler, we’re also going to be reporting on what we eat.

burger
It's screaming "eat me" isn't it?

Austin is a food truck and trailer town, and Downtown Burger was (wisely) dishing out burgers, french fries and beer across the street from the convention center. A line of hungry hipsters extended to the sidewalk.

wine and cheese
What's better than wine and cheese? Nothing.

After attending a few panels, I headed over to Whole Foods corporate headquarters for a wine and cheese tasting with the Techmunch team. The tasting featured wines from the Bordeaux region, and all of the featured bottles were under $20 and selected by Doug Bell and Jeff Ryan, Whole Foods global wine buyers. If you are near a Whole Foods, I’d recommend the Chateau La Fleur Dallon Cotes de Bordeaux Rouge, a well-balanced medium-bodied red.

Still hungry, a few of us walked over to Sandra Bullock’s well-known restaurant, Bess Bistro. I’m a huge fan of her acting, but none of us where sure what to expect. It was a delight. We shared a dished of perfectly fried artichokes along with fried green tomatoes over fresh crab meat. My meal was two lamb sausage patties that had that perfect lamb richness. The restaurant is in the lower floor of an old house, and was cozy with brick-lined walls and charming waitstaff. We polished off our meal with beignets dipped in hot fudge, which is how I would like to finish all meals really.

Backfiring Food Rules, a $2,000 Tasting Menu and the Question McDonald’s No Longer Asks

The Pitfalls of Family Food Rules: Most of the time, a graham cracker is just a graham cracker, but when children are asked to click a computer mouse ...

1. carla stanton says:

i cant seem to get on either and i wanted to name the brownie dish

2. slusherfa says:

Also looking for the contest as I have a good name for the brownies.

3. Norma says:

I, too, am trying to enter this brownie "namethisdish" contest but can't find the link to do it. I have had this same problem before with your contests and I believe, if you are going to offer these contests, then get the darn page out there where we can access it!!

4. J Johnson says:

I also cannot find the site to enter. Very frustrating!

5. charlie gilmore says:

i have tried to log onto the site name this dish. no luck!
    june sweepstake

6. charlie gilmore says:

cannot get thru to customer service. maybe it's time to cancell subscription!

7. Lynne says:

Ditto the above. Have tried to enter the contest in your Hot Dog issue and cannot get into the site. Shouldn't advertise the contest if one is unable to access it. May cancel or not renew my subscription.

• MizJoan says:

Me, too, Lynne. Can't find the site — and when I contacted Food Network via email, they give no additional information. Just "we'll get back to you." VERY irritating!

8. MizJoan says:

Great recipes in the magazine — but perhaps you might like to re-do your customer service department.
    What is it that they DO? Certainly not respond to emails about the Name This Dish contest….

9. sas says:

ive got the winning name for name this dish cant find site ugly

10. effey says:

not able to get anywhere either with name this dish , can someone that has had success please let the rest of us know how you got through , THANK YOU