Celebrate St. Paddy’s Day With Irish Soda Bread

by in View All Posts, March 17th, 2011
Ina Garten’s Soda Bread

Whether you’re cooking up corned beef and cabbage or Irish stew to celebrate the Emerald Isle this March 17, one thing’s for sure: you’ll need something to sop up all those delicious juices. The answer: Irish soda bread. Thanks to baking soda, it’s as quick to make as banana bread, yet as hearty and satisfying as bread that took all day to bake. Here are some of our favorite versions.

Ina Garten’s Classic Soda Bread
The Barefoot Contessa, who says she has “too short an attention span” to bake breads, is an Irish soda bread believer. There’s no waiting around, no kneading — just fresh, delicious bread studded with currants and orange zest,  done in around an hour. See Ina’s foolproof method:

RECIPE: Barefoot Contessa’s Irish Soda Bread

Whole-Wheat Irish Soda Bread Whole-Wheat Irish Soda Bread

Whole-Wheat Soda Bread
For a slightly healthier take on soda bread, mix up this 5-ingredient whole-wheat version.
RECIPE: Whole-Wheat Irish Soda Bread

Gluten-Free Soda Bread

Gluten-Free Soda Bread
Can’t eat gluten? We asked Shauna James Ahern, better known as Gluten-Free Girl, to share her recipe for classic soda bread, gluten-free.  You won’t believe the crispy-on-the-outside, tender-on-the-inside results.
RECIPE: Gluten-Free Soda Bread

Get more St. Patrick’s Day breads, main dishes, drinks and desserts, from corned beef and cabbage to Irish coffee, at our St. Patrick’s Day Central.

Surprising Ways to Eat Your Oats

There’s no doubt oats are a healthy food. After all, they’re packed with soluble fiber (the kind that helps lower your cholesterol and hel...

1. James Lindley says:

The recipe I used this morning used raisins and caraway seeds. Deeeelish!

2. Patti Wright says:

Yum!

3. wendy says:

want to try this love soda bread

4. Mary says:

This version, however tasty, shouldn't be called "classic." Traditional Irish Soad bread has only four (4) ingredients, flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. No eggs, sugar, raisins, caraway seeds, currants, etc. Anything with eggs and sugar or other sweeteners is more like a cake than bread. That's not to say other versions are not delicious.

5. Front Row Eats says:

I actually made the whole wheat soda bread yesterday. It tasted great plus it was healthier. What's better than that?!!!

I also had some eggs benedict with an irish twist – corned beef, sauekraut, thousand island hollandaise, etc.
    Read about it on my food blog: http://frontroweats.com/2011/03/18/corned-beef-an

<a href="http://www.FrontRowEats.com” target=”_blank”>www.FrontRowEats.com
    Bookmark the page!

• bobby_fillet says:

I clicked the link and it downloaded a virus onto my computer

• front row eats says:

@ bobby, Why would you say that? You know it didn't download a virus. It's just a food blog.

Are you the spam police? I legitimately commented on the article and shared my St Patrick's Day experience.

Get a life

6. Don't Watch Her says:

Ina Garten says she is too busy to honor a Make-A-Wish request to cook with a 6-year old with Leukemia. Maybe Food Network can take the heartless @*&@# off the air so she has time to be a normal human being.

7. selfish ina says:

I call for a boycott of all things Ina Garten. She was asked not once, but twice to visit and cook with a six-year old cancer patient and turned him down both times. I understand that she is busy. However, I am sure that she had a few free hours in the two years to fulfill a dying child's wish. I also know that she contributes to charity, but giving money when you have plenty is not a sacrifice. Giving your time is true charity. If someone can deny the dying wish of a child, they do not deserve fame for anything but their selfishness.

8. meg says:

This lady is unforgiveable!!! Disgusting ….read below
    A family member involved with the Make-A-Wish foundation tells us … a little boy named Enzo was approached by the organization after he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three years ago.
    Enzo told Make-A-Wish … he really wanted to cook with the "Barefoot Contessa" host because he would often watch the show with his mother while resting in bed.
    M.A.W. approached Garten with the wish last year … but at the time, she was unable to meet with Enzo due to a book tour.
    The organization urged Enzo to pick another wish, but he told them he wanted to wait until she becomes available. We're told the organization went back to Ina this year … but her team responded with a "definite no" … once again, citing scheduling conflicts. A member of Enzo's family says the 6-year-old is heartbroken … and asked parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?"

9. Susan says:

I am so ashamed of Ina. As my family knows, I loved her and have all of her cookbooks and made many of her recipes. Luckily the used book sale is coming up so I will donate all of my Ina cookbooks to them so they can do with them what they want. Burn them perhaps. So glad she never had children.

10. See our own site to your top 10 net designs of this year!