Cupcake Wars: Sweet Cirque du Soleil

by in Shows, February 16th, 2011
This week, the win went to Ron for his "cupcake-rockin', lights-a-blazing, show-stopping, gravity-defying Vegas-style display," says Candace.

Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about last night’s episode, Cirque du Soleil.

It is only fitting that the Cirque du Soleil Cupcake Wars would be a spectacular ride. This was truly a show of “firsts,” starting with the oxtail cupcake in round one. When people ask me about the most unusual cupcake I have come across in Season Two, it’s this one. Not only does Shaunda claim this distinction, but also the additional distinction of being the first contestant to use every ingredient on the challenge table. This round required two ingredients and she used seven. Wow.

Stephanie, who blew us away with a truly artful vanilla bean-ginger, caramelized pear and Thai basil cupcake in round one, got even more ambitious in round two and didn’t finish in time. It was another Cupcake Wars first. The judges weren’t even allowed to try her beautiful cupcakes. She was disqualified for not completing the challenge.

And, finally, in round three, Ron went all out, giving us the first levitating cupcakes we’ve seen on Cupcake Wars. The win goes to him for his all out, cupcake-rockin’, lights-a-blazing, show-stopping, gravity-defying Vegas-style display!

Bake up a batch of Ron’s winning Oatmeal-Raisin Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting and check out FoodNetwork.com for more about Cupcake Wars, plus dozens of our best cupcake recipes.

The Flavors of Ham and Cheese in a Savory Bread Pudding

For this week’s Chopped Dinner Challenge, the chefs of Food Network Kitchen chose to feature the basket ingredient Camembert. Inspired by a chee...

1. Kelly says:

I love cupcake Wars so I am really bummed out that I missed this episode – sounds like it was action packed! Levitating cupcakes, oxtails and a contestant that didn't finish?? Crazy!!

2. Ivy Dunne says:

There was another first that was glossed over, the winner, Ron, taunted and goaded the other contestant's while they were baking. I hope this is a trend that is curtailed. He came across as a first class jerk and I didn't care that he won. I turned the channel when he was announced as the winner.

I remember when a contestant on the show, FoodNetwork Challenge, started a standup routine while the other contestants were still baking. The judges admonished the contestant for being disrespectful. I agreed with the judges comments.

Look, we get that it is a "war"; however, the strategy is to execute a finished product not level psychological warfare.

Again, I hope the zingers between the contestants is put to a halt!

• james says:

All is fair in love and war. Ron, Ruthie and their family are amazing people and I'm sure everyone knew he was just trying to get their goat out of fun. I for one am glad they won.

3. ms.johnson says:

Hello, i watch cup cake wars all the time…my biggest probem with the show is all of the contestents
    do not wear hair nets…the most disscussting thing is to find hair in your food…i think the net work should
    demand that all contestents hair should be covered all times.

• Kathi J says:

I was just watching this episode on a re-run, and was thinking the same thing AGAIN about hair! This is not the first episode of this show that the thought has occurred to me. At least make the contestants put their hair up! It amazes me that they are allowed to wander around the kitchen – creating food – with long hair flowing all over the place. Seriously.

• Kam says:

I just watched this re-run and was telling my sister how much it annoys me that their hair is not tied, it is disgusting! Imagine what that would do to the winner's company if people found hair in their cupcakes. Ew!

4. Sandra says:

I would like to know what happens to the "losers" cupcakes?

5. Cheryl says:

This was my least favorite episode. I didn't like any of the cupcakes that were made. Most of all…this is Cirque du soleil and the decorations/presentations were juvenile and amateurish. Cirque deserves better than this. There was no artistry or creativity and liquer shots just doesn't cut it.

6. JCServant7 says:

I too would like to know what happens to the loser's cupcakes? Do they give them away to local soup kitchens or such?

• Diana says:

I would like to know as well. Seems to be shame if they just through the food away. It's not just cupcake wars, it's also shows like challenge, chopped, etc…

7. jeff says:

Obviously none of you have ever been in the kitchen of a restaurant. I have been in hundreds of kitchens doing electrical work and I have to say 95% do not wear hair nets or anything on their heads and they work everything with their hands too. Bakeries and factories are insane about that kind of thing but not kitchens.

8. Paul says:

Why don’t they wear hair nets? Everyone I know thinks it’s gross that they don’t wear them on the show. How many hairs end up on those cupcakes? I wouldn’t want one.