Cupcake Wars: Hollywood Glam

by in Shows, February 23rd, 2011
Casey's cupcakes captured the "glitz and glamour" of Hollywood.

Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about last night’s episode, Walk of Fame.

With Hollywood Walk of Fame as this week’s Cupcake Wars theme, I expected to be dazzled by exciting flavors and glamorous displays. And, certainly, Joanne from Lucky Cupcake delivered some excitement in round one with her martini cupcake complete with olive-mascarpone filling! But, in spite of her gutsy choice and dazzling star toppings, she was tripped up by a baking issue that left her cupcake basically inedible. I was sad that I didn’t get to really try what she could do.

Moving on to round two, I was certainly dazzled by Casey’s glitzy plate of cupcakes, including the rice paper “boa,” and Chrissy’s incredibly delicious cupcake trio. Her Elvis “sandwich,” in particular, is one of the best of this variety I have tasted on the show. Celeste disappointed us, though, with her decorations that felt too plain for the occasion.

In the third round, Casey went HUGE with her display and it was the most spectacular I have seen yet on the show. Although the height of the steps on her display meant guests had to bend over to retrieve a cupcake, there was no denying that she captured the “glitz and glamour” of Hollywood. Casey from Casey’s Cupcakes waltzed away with the prize.

Bake up a batch of Casey’s winning Lavender Cupcakes and check out FoodNetwork.com for more about Cupcake Wars, plus dozens of our best cupcake recipes.

Exclusive Interview with the Runner-Up of The Great Food Truck Race

Going into the Season 5 finale of The Great Food Truck Race, the remaining two teams, Lone Star Chuck Wagon and Middle Feast, both had what it took to...

1. We're so inspired by all the flavor combinations and creativity on Cupcake Wars! We decided to experiment a little bit ourselves by combining the tang of pineapple and the sweetness of brown sugar! See how we made our pineapple spice cake with brown sugar buttercream at

2. Michelle Hall says:

What happens to all the leftover cupcakes? I think it would be nice if they would share this with viewers because I love the show, but worry about all that food being thrown out.

3. Shilpa says:

I have never seen anything as beautiful as this in the cupcake world. I have even mentioned it on my own wee blog. Anyone who loves cupcakes needs to read your blog. Thanks for sharing.

4. Linda says:

Candace…enjoy the show, but during the opening shots of what the show will be about, they show the winning cupcakes/display! It's really a letdown to know who will win as soon as the third round begins . Why this has been done, or overlooked, is really frustrating as a viewer!

5. Fellow watcher says:

I love this show but the hosts on it suck. The host had lame jokes and zero personality, Candace opens up a bakery and now she is the official on all cupcakes and gets to sit around with her horrible face and judge people?? She is a certified snotty, snooty biznatch and Florian, Mr "I di nod lika dis cupcake" probably goes in the back and shoves the cupcakes up his butt.

6. gran says:

what is done with the cup cakes that do not win in the final round. Please tell me tht they are donated to some where and not thrown away.

7. don'tlikehair says:

How often do you find hair in the cupcakes? When I learned to cook you were taught to have your hair back.

8. baker says:

i am 14 years old. I bake all day long, cupcakes no less. My dream is to be on cupcake wars.. how could i do that?

9. graphicT says:

Starting to hate this show. I am a graphic designer. I know good color schemes and concepts when I see them. The judges are on this show are bias, and choose looks over bakery skills. I just watch a company called cupcrush who had amazing looking concepts and presentation, get beat by a vegan cupcake maker whos cupcakes i wouldnt feed to my dog. Serioulsly, her concepts sucked and her cakes looked like shit. They went with the vegan girl cuz she was a bubble headed little snot and the cupcrush girl looked like a biker chick.

10. Wonderful wordpress website the following.. It really is hard to search for fine quality writing like yours lately. I essentially recognize consumers such as you! take treatment