Worst Cooks Exit Interview: Lina Yu

by in Shows, January 3rd, 2011

"Hopefully I'll get to a point where I can actually make a full meal without feeling like I just had a nervous breakdown," says Lina, one of the first recruits eliminated.

When you presented your final dish, Chef Anne’s Chicken Cacciatore, how did you feel about it?
When I presented my dish I felt that since it was incomplete there would be no way that I would make it through. Chef Anne wasn’t able to accurately critique me since one of the key ingredients of the dish was missing, which was the sauce. That’s half of the dish right there! I felt pretty upset that it was the timing and not the actual cooking, I feel, that got me eliminated.

If you could have a do-over of the challenge that sent you home, what would you do differently?
If I could do-over the challenge I would have been more aware of the time on the clock because at the end of the day I think that is what got me eliminated. I took too long trying to get things perfect and then it was too late when I found out my plating dish was missing. I would have grabbed everything I needed before I started cooking.

What was the most valuable tip/piece of advice that you learned from Chef Anne?
The most valuable tip that I think I received is to prep the kitchen and ingredients before you start the actual cooking. I also figured out which is the chicken’s front side versus back side. I don’t think I can ever forget now.

What did you take away from the experience?
I learned that cooking doesn’t have to be a stressful experience and that not everyone is the perfect cook. The goal is to improve each time and hopefully I’ll get to a point where I can actually make a full meal without feeling like I just had a nervous breakdown.

Will you continue to work on your culinary skills?
I’ll continue to try to learn a little at a time and I’m sure I’ll have a lot of practice in our house. We have to learn how to cook since my family expects us to host some holiday dinners.

What advice would you give to future Worst Cooks competitors?
I would say be alert of your surroundings and remember that even though this is a cooking show it is a competition as well. Be careful and watch what is happening around you or you might miss something.

What was the first dish or meal that you attempted to cook back at home after being eliminated? How did it go?
I cooked an easier chicken dish that required only soy sauce and sprite. Sprite soy sauce chicken! I am still all about simplicity. All you have to do if put some chicken drumsticks into a pot and pour a can of sprite and soy sauce on it and let it cook. It turned out pretty decent according to my husband. I’m happy with it.

What was your most memorable or funniest moment while shooting the show?
The most memorable part of shooting the show was just getting to know all the other contestants. Everyone was from different walks of life and no matter what you do for a living, cooking is something that everyone can relate to. For our group that was the frustration we all found with not being able to cook particularly well. We were all there for the same purpose which was to improve our ability to cook food which is so key to our everyday lives.

Read Eric’s Exit Interview, find out more about Worst Cooks in America and catch the show on Sundays at 9pm/8c.

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. Rana says:

the show was great, I cannot wait to watch it next week. Carlos was my favorite, he is so sweet!

2. Bev says:

What happened to Chef Beau?

3. dance says:

How is ridiculing a bunch of people who can't cook or don't like to cook, will make them a better cook? Or make the Chef's better teachers?
    Now if you take the eight teach them how to cook for eight weeks and then on the ninth week have them cook head to head for the ratings.

4. Cactus Flower says:

The show should just be called The Worst Cooking Instructors in America. Just because someone can cook doesnt make them a teacher.
    You've taken a bunch of people who can't cook and have asked them make a dish that the generally make for their family and then mock them by telling them that they've made inedible food and laugh abourt it. Your point?
    They already know that they cant cook or they wouldn't be there. It's not "Hey-Surprise! You're the worst cook in America". Geez.
    You have a great opportunity to make this a wonderful learning experience for many –including the audience–and still have a compettion thats fun and entertaining. Sad to see that you've taken the snarky road.

• guest says:

I love the show… all exsept the part that they (Anne and robert and Beau) dont even give the students a recipe half the time and expect them to do well.

5. Clara Tea says:

I agree with the previous posters. The whole point of this show seems to be to ridicule and humiliate the poor souls who admit from the start that they can not cook. Even the " worst cook" on this series may be really bad but is still trying to do the best he or she can. Very few of us have been given the opportunity to attend culinary school in Paris – BUT we still have to cook for our families every day. This show focuses far too much on the incompetance of the poor slobs who are attempting to cook . I get it that the program is intended to show how anyone can be taught to cook, but it is that snearing, snarky contempt by the "cooking professionals" that turns me away from this program.

6. dgc2656 says:

Oh come on you guys, (dance, Cactus Flower, and Clara Tea)……..the contestants are all grown ups and they know what the game is about. look at the photos of the contestants, to me it looks like they are all having fun, and by the way they do have a chance to EARN $25K by just following directions. If you're so bothered by this show I think you should just turn in your aprons right now.

7. Brad says:

What an exciting first episode, I can't wait to see how the remaining "worst cooks" improve in future episodes!

8. Marsha says:

I think these contestants have enough humor to laugh at themselves or they wouldn't be there. Don't take it too seriously, people. Have some fun.

9. Toni says:

i love the show. You know no matter how lousy they cook someone will win the money and I believe that is what they are there for more than learning to cook. Is an old saying, if you can't take the heat then stay out of the kitchen, so if these adults can't take it then don't compete