Worst Cooks, Episode 3: He Said, She Said

by in Shows, January 17th, 2011
Three weeks in, Robert and Anne are still scared to watch some of their recruits in the kitchen.

After each elimination on Worst Cooks in America this season, chefs Anne Burrell and Robert Irvine share their candid impressions of the booted recruits with the FN Dish. This week, they bid farewell to Matt from Robert’s Team and Priscilla from Anne’s Team.

"Priscilla was her own worst enemy," says Chef Anne. "She'd psych herself out."

Anne on Priscilla: Oh, Priscilla. Running around with the knife, she was just a whirling dervish. She’d psych herself out; she would get so wound up. She was a teacher who’s used to being in charge and not used to being the student. So she would kind of talk back to us, and I said, “You know Priscilla, what would you feel like if one of your students said this to you?” She said, “I would not accept it.” She would spin out of control. She really scared me a few times, running around with her knife pointed in the air, and she cut her finger one time and continued to cook with it, blood everywhere. But you know what, I really liked her. She’s a nice lady. I felt terrible about sending her home. She actually really wanted to learn. I think if she were to get in a one-on-one setting, not with all the challenges and the time and all that, she probably could learn. She was her own worst enemy.

"Matt never relaxed," says Chef Robert. "It was like somebody gave him 20 shots of espresso in the morning."

Robert on Matt: Matt was scared of his own shadow. But a super guy, a nice guy. As far as cooking skills, if you looked at him the wrong way he would probably pee his pants. He was that scared. We were outside and he was cutting with a knife; I thought he was going to take his fingers off. Matt never relaxed. It was like somebody gave him 20 shots of espresso in the morning and he didn’t stop. No expression. I didn’t know if he was going to cry, laugh, or hit me!

Don’t forget to vote for your favorite Worst Cooks recruit in our Fan Vote, up to 10 times per day.

Celebrate Thanksgiving with Food Network in November

Thanksgiving is coming! Thanksgiving is coming! And it’s certainly not something we take lightly here at Food Network. Why? Because it’s a...

1. Katie says:

Those meals required a lot of focus. I understand and know what these worst cooks are going through. I didn't know how to cook until I taught myself 2 years ago. Now I'm a successfull home cook who runs a food blog of all the healthy recipes I eat. My website is http://www.katieinthekitchenherethere.blogspot.com. Let me know what you think.

2. Priscilla Harden says:

Hi, I am ssssssoooooo glad that the Food Network's "Worst Cooks in America,'" show gave me this wonderful opportunity to experience learning how to cok. I have, indeed, improved, somewhat, and I will keep practicing until I master cooking because-[Although it did NOT look like it.]-I lost my fears on the show, What was it Chef Ann called me- some kind of "Tasm. Devil?" Today, after Tuesday morning Bible class, the cooks allowed me to help them "COOK" the food that we ate after the class. I actually seasoned the chicken and put it into the pot, and, as well, into the electrical pan they had plugged in. Each Tuesday, they are allowing me to help more and more. Yes, they get a really big kick out of teasing me while I am in the kitchen. They even laugh at me and accept my invitations to come to dinner, but only if I allow them to tailgate in our front yard.!!!!!!!!! Love to Chef Ann and Chef Robert and keep watching until the season ends because those who are still on the show deserve to be there, and more impt, I love all of them, including the ones who left before me. LOVE, Priscilla Harden/Sugar Land, TX

• Audrey says:

Good for you for trying! As far as cooking for the "church folk", You're barking up the right tree! I try recipes on our Sunday night fellowship group all the time! A tip: make sure your audience is sprinkled with college students or football players. Often times they are willing to try anything! Like Paula says, Best Dishes! From Westbury C o C, Houston, TX

• Priscilla Harden says:

Hi, Audrey, I, too, am a member of the Church of Christ, @ Sugar Land COC, [TX]. Thanks for the tip. I will keep helping and practicing until they allow me to help in the kitchen after our 5th Sunday night-of the month-social activity. When that happens, then I will know I made it!!!!!!!!!! For the 1st episode, I had about 40 plus guests, plus, and I made Spaghetti [played it safe] and they really enjoyed it. For the 2nd episode, I repeated the menu with my family, [ about the same number of guests, plus about 10 or more so] and they, too, liked it. One of my nieces told me to add a little sugar and it even tasted better. We have really enjoyed this event in our lives. FYI: My grand children- ages 2 -7 yrs old [3 kids] loved my cooking of making tuna, salads and sandwiches before I went on the show. Now, I'm a 'STAR" in their little worlds! Got a love 'em!

• Cyndi says:

Thanks for the update, Priscilla! You were my very favorite on Anne's team and I was heartbroken to see you go!! Glad to hear you've started cooking more!

• Priscilla Harden says:

Hi, Cyndi, Thank you for the compliment of being your favorite on Chef Ann's team. I really appreciate your kindness. I am really practicing and getting a little better. You've got to remember, with the exception of cooking Spaghetti every 5 years, the last time I cooked a whole meal was in 1979 for my husband,[then boyfriend] with 2 days of struggling and a lot of long distance telephone calls, but I made it through that rough time!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep watching my friends. I love all of them!!!!!!!!

• Rex Gray says:

Priscilla, My daughter Kelly is/was on the show with you. You are the one that was the most fun to watch and we grew closer to you as the show went on. I especially remember the first dish you had to prepare – the one with no help, idea, etc. I knew what was going through my daughter's head was the same thing going through yours – nothing, zero!! So sad to see you go but also glad to see that you are putting those skills to good use. Still waiting to see same from Kelly…….

• Brenda Brown says:

Priscilla, I have enjoyed watching you on t.v. cooking for Anne Burell, I hope that you will learn the basics really well, so that you can cook for your husband, and for yourself. My suggestion to you is to purchase a very descriptive cookbook, and start out with small dishes. Your confidence will build up gradually, and you will want to try bigger dishes,and progress to whole meals. In this I am confident.

• dgc2656 says:

I would like to know something from a person who was there on the show. How much time was involved in the actual teaching of each meal? I see a lot of note taking, was there question and answer time? Did each episode take more then 2 days to film?

• tjs says:

Very little teaching time, pretty much what they show on the clips here is what we got. No question and answer.

• Worst Cooks Watcher says:

Wow, if we learn anything from the show, it's about the same instructions as what you've been given. Probably just the difference is that we can print the recipes and available until we're done cooking.

You guys are brave to go on TV and show the world that you can't cook…even to total strangers like me, who watch the show.

Thank you.

• Kelly says:

priscilla, i was very sorry to see you go i just knew our sugarland girl wasnt leaving, but it happens and now like i commented last week you are in your own environment and will be less stressed without a million people watching you and you will learn to cook. I wish you the best!
      kelly/from sugarland, tx

• Diane says:

You are a very gracious lady, Priscilla. Good luck in your cooking!

• Dru says:

What a dear and gracious lady you are.

• GrannyJ says:

we'll miss you Priscilla! because your personality is believable, you are down to earth, and seem to have a sense of humor. would love to see you back when you master your cooking skills – maybe you could resurrect the old Tyler Florence show, "how to boil water"

• Priscilla.. I loved watching you.. you were so REAL. I hope you keep on cooking .. and maybe now that you don't have the camera's rolling you won't be so nervous!

• Worst Cooks Watcher says:

Prescilla, thank you for having the courage to go on TV and let us watch you. I only try cooking at home when I'm by myself. It takes several tries on some recipes but eventually, I get it.

Best of luck to you.

• Priscilla Harden says:

Thank you for your compliment and advice. I am just read your comment, so please forgive me for replying so late. I am glad you watched the show. Love all the way from Sugar Land, TX Priscilla Harden.

3. Doreen says:

I love this show. Primarily because all of the contestants are so supportive of one another and they all have such great personalities. Yes they suck at cooking; but are all really wonderful people, that make this show so much fun to watch. I wish them all well.

4. juju says:

have you seen chef anne's show? well if you have you will notice she tastes food with her pinky and doesnt wash it and keeps cooking ther n goes on to yell at people on worst cooks for tasting stuff on a spoon then putting it back in the food.

• luvcookin says:

That's true, but on Anne's show she isn't expecting someone else to come behind her and taste the food. Saliva is a bodily fluid. I wouldn't taste the food either. You don't know if that person has something that you could catch, like a cold.

• katie says:

juju is my sisters name

5. droppin_gloves says:

Great show, I feel for these folks, I've definitely done worse in the kitchen.

Ty and Jen better step up their games, they've been hanging on by their fingernails.

6. amanda says:

I enjoy cooking and I would say I can't understand why some people can't cook, but I have a sister who is totally lost in the kitchen. I told her she should have tried out for the show. I must commend the people who are on the show. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but every week they are challenged to prepare a meal that is far from beginner level. I mean pork is something that is quite easy to overcook and fish is not exactly a beginner course either. That said, good job to the worst cooks in America! I took restaurant courses a while back, and yes, the worst cooks have broken sanitation rules and kitchen safety, but they are the worst cooks not top chefs. This comes with experience!

7. Nir says:

Good show, love the contestants! bur come'on Chef Ann and Chef Robert, those folks already have low self-estem when it comes to cookin. Way to kick 'em when they're down. Why don't you pick on someone your own size!!!

Why don't you try positive coaching and training instead of harshly criticizing.

8. kimkim says:

If you watch Iron Chef closely it is not uncommon to see those chefs taste the food, even share it with their sous chef, with the spoon that they are using to stir it with. Honestly people, if you are willing to eat food prepared by some unseen persons HANDS in a restaurant why is tasting a dish and then stirring the pot with the same utensil so horrifying…Lighten up, Live a little, learn to enjoy sharing… that is what cooking is all about

9. Matt's potato slices says:

I like Tyrone, but he should have been sent home for burning one meal and undercooking the other. Matt did much better,

10. Blonde Gator says:

Very cool that Jenny Cross posted a comment here.

I love this show…I am teaching my step-daughter how to cook (long distance) which is a bit of a challenge. But I am doing "concept" kind of stuff, just like Anne & Robert. Braising, gravy, like that…and my student is thriving! It's such a joy when her father hands me the phone and says SHE HAS TO TALK TO YOU….and then she proceeds to tell me what wonderful meal she cooked! Too much fun.

I think it would be a bit more helpful for the newbie-cook viewers if Anne & Robert spent a little more on-air time explaining concepts….whipping eggs for omelets until nice and frothy, for instance. Love the concept of the show.

Oh yeah…ANNE ROCKS!