Twitter Recap: What Foods Do You Want to Learn to Cook in 2011?

by in News, Recipes, View All Posts, January 7th, 2011
Tweet, tweet! Let us know what you're thinking, we are listening!

The new year brings a fresh start and new challenges — especially in the kitchen. We asked you via Twitter what recipes you wanted to learn to cook this year, and there were a few common themes. Perhaps you’ve stumbled on some 2011 cooking trends — could 2011 be the year of Pad Thai? Risotto? Here are a few of our favorite tweets, and some recipes to get started on your culinary goals.

Risotto

Dinner in just 40 minutes: Fontina Risotto from Food Network Magazine. Photograph by Antonis Achilleos.

What you said:

@kitsunehime21 I want to learn to make risotto and bake red velvet cupcakes!

@misslittlepearl I want to perfect my Risotto!

@FunInTheSun03 Risotto!

@jh5900 Risotto!

Who knew risotto would be so popular? Why wouldn’t it be — this rich, velvety dish is fancy enough for a dinner party or holiday, but simple enough for a weeknight meal. And it can be made year-round, flavored with seasonal produce, fish, meat — whatever your pleasure. (Oh, and @kitsunehime21, try Paula’s Red Velvet Cupcakes!)

What we suggest:

Food Network Magazine’s Fontina Risotto With Chicken

Rachael Ray’s Butternut Squash Risotto

Giada De Laurentiis’s Gorgonzola and Porcini Mushroom Risotto

Giada De Laurentiis’s Champagne Risotto

Pad Thai

Resolve to make Pad Thai in 2011, like this Shrimp Pad Thai from Food Network Magazine. Photograph by Con Poulos.

What you said:

@Mrsjdroberts4, @LCobbies and @hdbernard are all dying to learn to make Pad Thai at home, they each chimed in with a resounding “Pad Thai!”

What we suggest:

Food Network Magazine’s Shrimp Pad Thai

Alton Brown’s Pad Thai

Paula Deen’s Pad Thai With Pork

Indian

2011 will bring more curry for many of you, like this chickpea and cauliflower version from Food Network Magazine. Photograph by Marcus Nilsson.

What you said:

@romi_romes Indian food!!

@whitneygrace715 Chana Masala and anything Indian!

Aarti Sequeira’s show Aarti Parti, along with her recipes and videos will help you on your Indian food foray. But try these favorites, too:

What we suggest:

Food Network Magazine’s Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry

Aarti Sequeira’s Baked Samosas With Mint Chutney

Alton Brown’s Vegetable Curry

Aarti Sequeira’s Chickpea and Artichoke Masala

Turkey

Emeril's Brined, Herb Roasted Turkey. Practice now, be a pro by Thanksgiving.

What you said:

@NibblesbyNora Not sure it will be this year but long time goal is to learn to cook a turkey!

@GinaZ Turkey!

What we suggest:

Emeril Lagasse’s Brined, Herb Roasted Turkey

Alton Brown’s Perfect Turkey (video)

Ina Garten’s Perfect Roast Turkey

Bobby Flay’s Black Pepper-Pomegranate Molasses Turkey

How to Carve a Turkey

Top-Ten Turkey Tips

Any other food resolutions out there? What have you resolved to make in the new year?

The 1970s Ingredient No Parent’s Fridge Should Be Without This Holiday Season

Hear from one mom about how just a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce are all it takes to transform everyday dishes into kid-pleasing favorites....

1. bobbi says:

How about some special home made bread recipes and soup recipes

2. bobbi says:

How about some special home

bread recipes and soup recipes

3. Diane says:

Like the Indian cooking and I do follow Aarti. But I would love more vegan and vegetarian offerings. Also would like shows to feature foods that are in season. But I love HDTV.

4. Heather says:

Greens … I have cooked them before but they just don't taste like those my grandma used to make.

5. David Dominere says:

this year my goal is to learn to cook Vietnamese food. My wife and I got a chance to experience HCMC and found the people with a real appreciation for food and what could be done. Vietnamese people eat most of their meals out. Their ability to take a fruit and use it as a starch when it is preripe and then as a sweet when it is overripe. We were educated by a famous Chef who now does food tours. I don't remember his name but he runs Back of Bike Tours in Vietnam. Street food there is "Amazing". Sea food pancakes, and the best sandwiches on french bread. I have to go back.
    I am trying to contact the Chef from the Tour to get him to teach me vietnamese cooking.
    Dave