Every Saturday morning in January, Sandra Lee teams up with the FN Dish to bring you budget-friendly tips for creating delicious dishes and meals for your family. From the supermarket to the stove, she’ll help you stretch every dollar and minute.
This week, Sandra’s tips are all about smart shopping strategies. Read on, then hit the grocery store!
1. Grocery stores put higher priced pre-packaged meat on top for hasty consumers. Look underneath and save.
2. Don’t forget your reusable grocery bags. Many stores will give you a $0.05 credit per bag used.
3. Avoid convenience items like pre-chopped fruits and vegetables and the pre-package deli meats and cheeses. You pay extra for the convenience.
4. Buy generic! Store brands are typically 20-30% less expensive than name brand items.
5. Make menu-planning a routine and save money on spontaneous spending and too many trips to the grocery store.
- Get Ready to Go Back to Kitchen Stadium for All-New Series Iron Chef Showdown
- What to Watch: Down Home Cooking on The Kitchen and Special Guest Alex Guarnaschelli on Food Network Star
- Guy Fieri and His Family Are Crisscrossing the Country on an Epic Family Road Trip
- What to Watch: The Perfect Burger on The Kitchen and Finalists Try to Beat Bobby Flay on Food Network Star