Sandra’s Saturday Savings: Market Strategy

by in Shows, January 1st, 2011

Sandra Lee Every Saturday morning in January, Sandra Lee teams up with the FN Dish to bring you budget-friendly tips for creating delicious dishes and meals for your family. From the supermarket to the stove, she’ll help you stretch every dollar and minute.

This week, Sandra’s tips are all about smart shopping strategies. Read on, then hit the grocery store!

1. Grocery stores put higher priced pre-packaged meat on top for hasty consumers. Look underneath and save.

2. Don’t forget your reusable grocery bags. Many stores will give you a $0.05 credit per bag used.

3. Avoid convenience items like pre-chopped fruits and vegetables and the pre-package deli meats and cheeses. You pay extra for the convenience.

4. Buy generic! Store brands are typically 20-30% less expensive than name brand items.

5. Make menu-planning a routine and save money on spontaneous spending and too many trips to the grocery store.

Want more tips? Sandra’s shows are full of ‘em. Catch Money Saving Meals on Saturdays at 9am/8c and Semi-Homemade Cooking on Sundays at 11:30am/10:30c.

Chatting with the Chopped Ultimate Champions: Celebrities, Part 4 Winner

For the first time on Chopped, professionals and amateur cooks will go head-to-head at the end of the five-part Ultimate Champions tournament. But the...

1. II always taped Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade show at 2 pm, weekdays. Now Rachael Ray is on. I like her, but I want to see Sandra Lee! Why isn't she on at 2 pm?? I only have my phone-no computer. Makes it harder to find her!

2. I ALWAYS APPRECIATE MONEY SAVING TIPS AND STRATEGIES. I AM A BUSY MOM OF A 4 YEAR OLD AND I HELP MY HUSBAND RUN OUR FLOORING INSTALLATION/REMODELING BUSINESS. BY THE TIME I GET HOME, I AM EXHAUSTED. I DON'T EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT DINNER! WE MOMS DO IT EVERY DAY WHETHER WE FEEL LIKE IT OR NOT. THANKS SANDRA FOR BEING A INSPIRATION!

3. I NEED a menu planning class. I have lots of friends that use them but I have no idea how. I would LOVE some input.

• Maryellen says:

First tihink about foods and meals that your family likes, then think about the ingredients you have on hand or are likely to buy this week at the store. Then sit down with the weekly/monthly calander and look at all your activities for the specific time frame.(2) Then decide what you can make on Monday, then Tuesday, and so on based on family schedule and current groceries and what everyone likes to eat..(3) Write these meal plans on the calander and stick to it (as much as possible) (4) each morning prepare by taking meat out of the freezer to defrost in the frig while you are at work or put the food in the crockpot in the morning so your dinner will ready when you are at night. You will be amazed at how easy it is and how much time and money you will save.

4. Lori says:

I menu plan 2 weeks in advance. It's always so fun to go through cookbooks and find new things to try. But that makes making my grocery list SUPER easy. I know just what to buy and add only what is on sale that week that I want to stock up on. I hardly have any impulse buys and have reduced my trips to the store to once a week! My girlfriends are jealous.

5. AngelicMama says:

Another big thing you can do to cut back on your bill!!! COUPONS!!!! Also, price compare from store to store, check unit prices on brands (store brands are NOT always cheaper!!!! Menu plan based on the season!!!! Buy in season fruits and veggies and save yourself hundreds!!! Buy in bulk and freeze in individual or meal sized portions, pick your own fruit and veggies from your own garden or local farms for cheaper then stores usually :) Plus way fresher and LOCAL!!! Buy local whenever possible!!!! I could go on for years about it lol! I am the master at keeping my grocery bill down to next to nothing and in our family of 3 we ALL have MANY severe and deadly food allergies….we are gluten dairy eggs soy red meat pork chicken msg and a million other things free PLUS we eat only local and ORGANIC foods!!! Yet we pay next to nothing on our grocery bill :)

• ljbull says:

I totally agree with the coupons. I started getting serious about coupons over a year ago. I needed to find a way to save money and this it. I cut our grocery bill by over half. Its just my husband and I and we try to eat healthy. I get most of our produce at the farmers market and take advantage of coupons. This week it is super doubles (double up to $1.98 of face value). I look for items that will be free or next to that when coupon events happen. This time I was able to get for free or close to it dish washing detergent, lysol neutra spray, yogurt, salad dressing, margarine, 100 calorie snack, to name a few. There are several websites that can help you. It takes time but its helped us cut our expenses significantly.

6. Ana says:

As far as I know, in Miami they don't give.05 cents pe bag

7. marlene says:

My money saving tip that i like to do is make a little more and create a second meal from the leftovers. I also look for the sale items for that week and dont go off my shopping list. I always watch Sandra Lee for all of her money saving meals and shopping tips.

8. When I first saw this title Sandra’s Saturday Savings: Market Strategy | FN Dish – Food Network Blog on google I just whent and bookmark it. I got what you convey, thanks for putting up. Woh I’m glad in order to maturate this site through search engines. Thanks Pertaining to Share Khmer Karaoke Celebrities.