12 Days of Cookies: Barefoot Contessa’s Coconut Macaroons

by in Holidays, Recipes, December 1st, 2010
You need just five ingredients to make Ina's classic macaroons.

12 Days of CookiesIt’s time for 12 Days of Cookies, FoodNetwork.com’s annual cookie swap. Each day visit us here on the Dish for a peek at new holiday cookies, party-planning tips and top techniques for rolling, spooning, slicing, baking and decorating delicious sweet treats to give – or keep – from favorite Food Network chefs. Then visit Cooking Channel’s blog for great takes on holiday baking from Cooking Channel chefs and Food People alike – cookies by the dozen to celebrate all season.

Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside—those are the qualities of a perfect Coconut Macaroon, and Ina Garten’s recipe will guarantee you get celebratory results every time. All you have to do is pull together a mere five ingredients and bake them until their frilly tops are kissed with gold. Then arrange them on a pretty plate and pass them around.

Get Ina Garten’s recipe and check out our 12 Days of Cookies package for dozens of ideas. Then tell us what you’re baking.

Melanie Rehak, author of Eating for Beginners, has been baking cookies since she was old enough to climb onto the kitchen stool. She and her family are partial to Zimtsterne—cinnamon stars—for the holidays, but love cookies of all kinds all year long.

This Spicy Sichuan Pork Dish Will Make You Want to Skip Takeout Tonight

On this week’s Chopped Dinner Challenge, the chefs of Food Network Kitchen chose to feature the basket ingredient ground pork. This Roasted Eggp...

1. Right here is the right webpage for anybody who wishes to understand this topic. You understand so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic that has been written about for decades. Great stuff, just great!

2. Staci Kuczma says:

May I just say what a comfort to find somebody who genuinely knows what they are discussing online. You certainly realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More and more people ought to look at this and understand this side of the story. I can’t believe you’re not more popular given that you certainly possess the gift.

3. I was extremely pleased to uncover this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every part of it and i also have you book marked to check out new information in your blog.

4. Loyd Stegall says:

Excellent article. I definitely appreciate this website. Keep it up!

5. CJinTX says:

From what I have read, and from what Ina herself has said, she had a successful career long before her television "fame". As I understand it, her husband, Jeffrey, continues to work. I do not believe a 6-year-old child would be in the majority of Ina's demographic. In fact, a 6-year-old child asking to cook with Ina could be the mother's wishes projected onto this child. Not saying this is the case, but could be possible. And what if an accident happened while Ina was cooking with this child, there could be a lawsuit. It would be nice if we could just give freely and from our hearts, but unfortunately in society it is not that simple.

6. Chris says:

I rather doubt that Ina's "demographic" is mothers with young children. There was no Food Network when I was a young mother, and I probably wouldn't have enjoyed "Barefoot Contessa" because the ingredients are costly and were not affordable to me 40 years ago. My food interests have evolved over the years, and I am now able to purchase the finest ingredients and prepare gourmet recipes, so I enjoy those programs that focus on my current cooking capabilities. I've been a fan of FN since its inception and have had two favorites in those 20+ years: Sara Moulton and Ina Garten. Both are intelligent women and very accomplished in the kitchen, and I've gleaned much from their expertise.

BTW: It's faux-paux.

7. MsJax47 says:

First off, according to the mother, the child is NOT dying. From her blog: "What makes me REALLY sad is how the press has been writing and referring to Enzo as a “DYING” child or a “TERMINAL” child making his “LAST DYING WISH.” Just typing it makes my blood go cold. Enzo is NOT dying or terminal, he IS very sick but he is VERY MUCH alive and the most ALIVE person I have EVER known!" This is one of the big issues I have with this brouhaha. No one is bothering to research the few facts available before joining the other villagers with their torches and pitchforks. The type of cancer Enzo has apparently responds very well to treatment.

Secondly, looking at it from your point of view, if Ina lives by her fame and by branding, why in the world would she deliberately act in a way guaranteed to tarnish or destroy that fame? She is not a stupid woman. You don't become a nuclear energy budget and policy analyst in the White House, while earning an MBA at the same time, by being stupid. (All by the time you're 30 yrs old, btw.) Her entire career is a testament to brains and hard work. She earned the money to buy the Barefoot Contessa by flipping houses (this was back in the '70's). She spent 20 years growing that business from a 400 sq ft small scale specialty food shop into a 3,000 sq ft facility that employed 45 people. (Read her Food Network bio.) That is not the work of a stupid woman, nor a lazy one. Ina has apparently worked hard her entire life, so to throw your question back at you — why would she risk it all? Plain and simple, I don't think she would.

8. CJinTX says:

9. CJinTX says:

Excellent points. I completely agree. Sara Moulton is a class act too.

10. CJinTX says:

I wish I could give you more thumbs up. You said it so well! I only wish Enzo the best, as I do Ina.