Fall Fest: Sweet Potato Sides, Chef by Chef

by in Holidays, November 17th, 2010
Tyler's Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel
Tyler's Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel

We’re teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Fall Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.

With Thanksgiving fast approaching, it’s time to seriously ponder sweet potato sides. What will it be this year – mashed, baked, stuffed or smashed? Here are some top recipe picks from Food Network chefs.

Tyler’s Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel (pictured above)
This twice-baked potato has everything: fresh sweet potatoes, toasted pecans, a touch of cinnamon and, of course, melted marshmallows.

Bobby’s Smoked Chile Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
For a twist on tradition, Bobby makes a spicy and sweet version of scalloped potatoes sure to wow a crowd.

Bobby's Smoked Chile Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Bobby's Smoked Chile Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

Paula’s Sweet Potato Balls
In over-the-top Southern style, Paula covers large marshmallows in mashed sweet potatoes, rolls them in coconut and bakes. This super sweet side could double as dessert!

Paula's Sweet Potato Balls
Paula's Sweet Potato Balls

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving sweet potato side? Shout it out in the comments, or share your favorite recipes on Twitter at #fallfood.

More Favorite Sweet Potato Dishes with Friends and Family:

More Fall Fest Picks:

Best 5 Thanksgiving Cocktails

Raise a glass to the holiday season with these best-ever cocktail recipes ideal for Thanksgiving entertaining....

1. Kelly says:

Sweet potatoes are my new favorite food so I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. Thanks for sharing these uniquely delicious ideas!

2. Rachel says:

Sweet potatoes are my favorite part of Thanksgiving so I know they'll be on my table in one form or another!
    I’m bummed that I didn’t get my act together to do a sweet potato dish for Fall Fest this week. But…I did make a yummy twist on sweet potato pie a while back that I’m itching to make again! http://blog.muffinegg.com/?p=83

3. feastonthecheap says:

There is nothing better than Sweet Potatoes… I wouldn't show up to Thanksgiving without 'em (ok, that's not entirely true). In the spirit of Fall Fest, we re-made an old favorite:Harvest Soup with Chicken, Sweet Potatoes and Corn.

4. Kathleen says:

Will definitely try the scalloped sweet potatoes. Still looking for my fav. souffle recipe. Sweet potatoes for all meals would be a good idea. http://dejavucook.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/baked-….

5. Kurt says:

I caught an episode in the past week (I'm with the military in Korea) and I saw (I think) Sandra Lee showing Big Daddy how to make a stove top, no bake sweet potato side dish. Now I can't find the recipe. Does anyone have it? Thanks.

6. sheila chamberlin says:

after the holiday take the left over dressing and add it to homemade turkey or chicken soup

7. krissy j says:

Sweet potatoes are my new favorite food too, I cant wait to make them this year!

8. morgan says:

sweet potatoes are actually healthier and will cook better in this dish
    yams have a high sugar count and might be a little rough and hard

9. Mama Mac says:

In the U.S. there really is no difference between sweet potatoes and yams. The two terms are used interchangeably.

10. jennifer says:

Yummy sweet Potatoe fries – dusted with cornflour before frying – delicious and good for my high BP. Easy for fussy eating kids at Thanksgiving. I just put them in a paper ice cream cone so the kids can move around like grown-ups with their snacks!!