We’re teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Fall Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
Thanksgiving is all about traditions – roasted turkey, buttery mashed potatoes, grandma’s pumpkin pie – but don’t be afraid to add new life to the traditional feast with a few new stand-out sides. (Here are 50+ if you want to start browsing now!) For a little something different, reach for one of these three often overlooked root veggies – turnips, rutabagas and parsnips – in season and oh so tasty.
What’s your favorite root veggie? Shout it out in the comments, or share your favorite recipes on Twitter at #fallfood.
More Root Veggies with Friends and Family:
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: Roasted Beet Salad
- Food Network UK: Return to Your Roots
- Roberto at Food2: Easy Roasted Root Veggies
- Liz at Healthy Eats: In-Season Root Veggies
- Gilded Fork: Hidden Jewels of Harvest
- The Wright Recipes: Slow-Cooked Pot Roast with Root Vegetables + Apple, Potato and Celery Root Mash
- Paige at The Sister Project: A Sweet and Savory Soup
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Rutabaga Puff
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup with Miso
More Fall Fest Picks: