Easy Cookie Swap

by in View All Posts, November 29th, 2010
Gingerbread Cookies from FoodNetwork.com

Are you having visions of sugarplums dancing or hallucinations from too much turkey? There’s no denying that the holiday season is already in full swing. Make this year easier with a cookie swap—a great way to try new recipes without having to bake them all yourself. We’ve chosen some of our favorite recipes for cookie-swapping and invite you to gather some friends and share the fun.

Animal crackers began as edible ornaments, sold in Philadelphia in the late 19th century. Giada’s simple Animal Sugar Cookies are probably quite a bit tastier and definitely more colorful. Appease your flock with a batch: They’re perfect to eat, share or hang on the tree.

Believe it or not, Paula Deen has put a healthy twist on classic Peanut Butter Cookies, just in time for those sugar-free cookie lovers on your list. And for a treat less traditional, try the winning recipe from Emeril’s Cookie Contest, Chris’ Kicked Up Spicy Walnut Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies. This cookie literally has something for everyone.

If baking is not your thing, Cooking Channel’s Michael Chiarello has you covered with No Bake Chocolate Amaretto Cookies.  Or, visit Food.com for No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. Both recipes come together in a matter of minutes and set in the refrigerator.

For a sweet adult treat, whip up some Limoncello Cheesecake Squares or Boozy Blondies from Food2.com to share. There’s nothing like a cookie to melt away the stress of all that holiday shopping.

Sign up for the Food Network’s 12 Days of Cookies newsletter and get a baker’s dozen new cookie recipes, one per day starting today.

Dinner Rush! Creamy Rigatoni with Squash, Sage and Pine Nuts

Move over, pumpkin spice latte — you’re not the only squash-themed edible that deserves the seasonal spotlight. Let’s clear a path f...

1. LaDonna says:

cookie exchange is a great way to get a variety of different cookies and homemade candies, this will be my second exchange .Last year was a great time and grreat cookies. Just serve finger foods for the event and everyone goes home with and wonderful assortment of treats!

2. cindy garrick says:

What sort of games did you play or what type of entertainment did you provide for the ladies? Any ideas where to order the silver dragees that go on the cookies? ( Hope I’m spelling it correctly)

• Dawn Getyina says:

Dragees can be found with the other decorations for cookies and come in a rainbow of colors. However if you live in the state of California the silver ones are unavailable due to state regulations on mercury (there is a very very small amount in them). Stupid I know but I haven't been able to get them in CA for years now. I keep meaning to order through an out of state friend and just ship them to me.

3. Debbie says:

I am looking for cookie snow globe kit by Kathy Jacobs. Anyone heard of her?

4. Laurie says:

Silver, pearl and pastel dragees are available at all Sur la Table locations nationwide.

5. Lisa Lauzon says:

I just found this page ( my 5th annual cookie swap was Sunday Dec. 5th !! ) so far it's been awesome every year. always finding new and interesting cookies, cakes, breads or just about anything someone wants to share. From fond family treats to new ones every year…. I tend to use the swap as a time for new cookies for testing on groups of friends – the plate is always empty !
    One I have never ever tried are gingerbread men….. I've always been nervous of rolled dough cookies…. I may have to try them if they truely are as easy as you say they are :)
    Molassas cookies were made this year – OLD family treat – they were amazing !! Love my cookie swap each year. already planning next years :)
    I see lots of new ideas here – can't wait to try them on my family and then work them off in the gym :)
    Thanks so much for all the great ideas….
    Lisa L. Whitman MA

6. Brenda says:

For Debbie:
    I found this website on Kathy Jacobs' ettible snow globes. It seems that they are no longer available.

7. Ann says:

I would like to see some sugar free recipes , for us who are diabetic.

8. This particular SONG BRIGS BACK SO Good MEMORIES !

9. Anonymous says:

You really make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually something that I feel I'd never understand. It seems too complex and extremely wide for me. I am taking a look forward for your next post, I will try to get the hold of it!

10. This is a fantastic website, would you be involved in doing an interview about how you developed it? If so e-mail me!