Fall Fest: Roasting Pumpkin Seeds by Kirsten Vala in View All Posts, October 27th, 2010
- Comments (9)
We’re teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Fall Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
While you’re carving jack-o’-lanterns for Halloween, hold onto the gook and make your own homemade stash of roasted pumpkin seeds. They’ll last for about a week tightly sealed, or you can keep them in the freezer for a month.
Roasting pumpkin seeds is simple with Alton by your side. See how he does it:
And, once you have your stash, here are some great ways to use pumpkin seeds.
Sweet and Spicy Pepitas Popcorn Balls (pictured at top)
Give popcorn balls some fall flair by mixing in pumpkin seeds and bright cayenne pepper.
Pepita Rice Pudding
Dress up store-bought rice pudding with a toasty pumpkin seed and raisin mixture.
Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Skip peanuts and make this sweet treat with pumpkin seeds.
What’s your favorite fall food to stash? Shout it out in the comments, or share your favorite recipes on Twitter at #fallfood.
More Mad Stashes with Friends and Family:
- Alison at Food2: Break Out the Stash
- Liz at Healthy Eats: Mad Squash Stash
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: Save Em’ While You Can
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Spiced Pear Butter
- Caroline at the Wright Recipes: Brandied Apple Butter
- Cate at Sweetnicks: Arugula with Roasted Butternut Squash, Bleu Cheese and Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Alana at Eating From the Ground Up: Chest Freezers and Why They’re Fabulous
- Margaret at A Way to Garden: Everything Into the Pot, Freezer, Cellar
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Cooking for One, and My Mad Freezer Stash
- Todd and Diane: Persimmon Overload, and Persimmon Fool Pudding