The “Other” Summer Greens by Kirsten Vala in View All Posts, August 11th, 2010
- Comments (29)
We’re teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Summer Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
I sometimes forget about summer greens until I run into a beautiful, compelling pile of chard or mustard greens at the farmers’ market. For my next impromptu purchase, I’ve tapped into the expertise of Alton, Giada and the Food Network Kitchens. I might even head out to buy greens on purpose now, with these three winning recipes (plus Alton’s cool washing method!) at my fingertips.
Swiss Chard Lasagna from the Food Network Magazine
Swiss chard is the star of this easy vegetarian main, but there’s just enough heavy cream and cheese to swing it out of the health food realm and into the comfort food category. Both a pro and a con in my opinion, but it looks too tasty to resist.
Alton’ s Mustard Green Gratin
With cheese, mushrooms, garlic and a buttery cracker crust Alton turns mustard greens into an irresistible side. And if you happen to have beet greens on hand, don’t miss his beet green version.
Giada’s Orecchiette With Greens and Ricotta Salata
Giada has a never-ending string of amazing pasta dishes, and here she works her magic with mustard greens, Swiss chard and spinach. It looks like a quick, healthy dinner option or even a side dish for a cookout crowd.
How to Clean Greens: Alton uses his washing machine!
More Greens, Beans and Herbs with Friends and Family:
- The Best Bean Salads and a French Take on Greens, Beans and Herbs from the Cooking Channel
- Top 6 Herbs from Healthy Eats
- Leftover Herb Solution (Pesto!) from Alison at Food2
- White on Rice Couple Todd and Diane use fresh mint to make homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt features Green Beans with Balsamic Browned Butter.
- Margaret at A Way to Garden stores a year of herbs-and makes one-pot Farinata a polenta dish with greens.
- Food Network UK is on the edge with herbs and greens.
- Caroline at the Wright Recipes is cooking up Wax and Butter Bean Herbed Salad.
- Jennifer and Mark at Gilded Fork have a virtual garden of recipes for basil, cilantro, fennel, lavender, lemongrass, rosemary, sage and tarragon, including Lavender Pound Cake and Rosemary & Honey-Roasted Pears.
- Shauna and Danny at Gluten Free Girl and the Chef are growing fava beans.
- Tigress in a Jam has a preserving-book giveaway, and ways to put up greens, beans, herbs.
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff talks about Kale and Feta Empanadas and roasted Romano beans.
- Alana at Eating From the Ground Up has shirred eggs with fresh herbs: the affinity between eggs and herbs.
- Cate O’Malley at Sweetnicks makes a fresh green bean salad.
- Kelly at Just a Taste makes fresh herb ricotta.
- Tara at Tea and Cookies whips up a Clean Out the Fridge Frittata.
- Judy at Tuscan Diva makes an Italian herb blend.
- Paige at The Sister Project has “Aloha, Pesto”
Join the conversation on twitter at #summerfood.