Forget those green cans! It’s summertime, and that means creamed corn made from fresh, sweet ears. Though all four of these easy from-scratch creamed corn recipes come from Food Network chefs with Southern roots, they offer very different takes on this classic side dish. Whose is your pick for summer corn season?
Paula’s Creamed Corn
This one couldn’t be simpler: Scrape corn kernels off the cob, add a stick of butter and cook in the microwave. Paula uses her favorite ingredient to turn fresh corn into a luscious and decadent side. No cream necessary. Too vegetarian for you? Try Paula’s Fried Cream Corn, with bacon.
Alton’s “Better than Grannie’s” Creamed Corn
If you’ve seen Alton cook with his adorable Grannie on early episodes of Good Eats, you know that this recipe title is a high endorsement! He gets a little fancier than Grannie and Paula, adding turmeric, rosemary and cornmeal to the mix.
Claire’s Grandma Moore’s Creamed Corn
Claire draws inspiration from her own Southern grandmother for this under-five-ingredient recipe. No cream, no butter: Just bacon, corn, salt and pepper. Who will win the battle of the Grandmas?
More Creamed Corn Riffs from Food Bloggers:
- Creamless Creamed Corn (via Chubby Hubby)
- Freezing Corn with Alison at Food2
- Candied Corn, and 4 more easy recipes from Toby at Healthy Eats
- Browsing Corn Porn with Michelle on Cooking Channel
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Creamed Corn with Bacon and Rosemary
- Margaret at A Way to Garden: Vintage corn Americana slideshow, and no-frills creamed corn
- Judy/Tuscan Diva: Fried Polenta Crostini with Porcini Ragu
- Jennifer of Gilded Fork: Corn: Sweet Versatility (history, uses & recipes from cocktails to cornbread
- Chef Mark: Gettin’ Corny! (Musings from childhood, tips & fresh-corn recipes)
- Caron of SanDiegoFoodstuff: Chino Corn Risotto with Chanterelles and Burrata
- Caroline at The Wright Recipes: Pickled Corn with Summer Onion and Basil
- White on Rice Couple: BBQ Chicken and Corn Pizza
- Shauna at Gluten Free Girl: a sweet corn risotto (and how to make corn stock with husks and mirepoix)
- Tigress in a Jam: Cream Corn Scones (the perfect way to use up left over roasted or boiled corn)
- Alana at Eating from the Ground Up: Corn on the Kabob (invented by her artist husband)
- Cate O’Malley at Sweetnicks: Corn and Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
- Kelly at Just a Taste: Caramel Corn (plus pics of corn in its various popping stages)
- Paige Orloff of The Sister Project: Life-Changing Corn Pancakes
- Tara at Tea and Cookies: Farro Corn Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs
- Food Network UK blog: Talking Corn
Ad Hoc’s (i.e. Thomas Keller’s) Creamed Summer Corn (via Trissalicious)
Matt and Ted Lee’s Creamed Corn (via Ezra Pound Cake)
Cheesy Creamed Corn with Cilantro (via Pink Parsley) More Corn with Friends and Family:
Check out last week’s love for Cukes and Zukes.
Join the conversation on twitter at #summerfood.