Haute Hot Dog Toppings

by in View All Posts, June 16th, 2010
Grilled hot dog with Michael Chiarello's quick pickle relish
Grilled hot dog with Michael Chiarello's quick pickle relish

I think summertime is all about haute hot dogs hot off the grill! Living in New York City, I have found that street vendors have really upped their hot dog toppings game. My best friend introduced me to Summer Saturdays at the Brooklyn Flea, which has an amazing hot dog vendor called Asia Dog. The varied toppings on their organic beef dogs are out of this world! They serve them with everything from spicy kimchi to exotic daikon and cilantro deliciousness.

Sadly I cannot make a trip to the Brookyn Flea every Saturday, but I have learned to dress up my dogs at home. Michael Chiarello’s quick pickle relish is a ramped-up classic that takes only minutes to prepare. It includes diced dill pickles, hot sweet mustard, pickle brine and fresh chopped dill. The simplicity of this will liven up your spread, and the fresh dill will give it a garden-fresh flavor.

And if you really want to turn up the heat I would try Tyler Florence’s Spicy Slaw. The crunch of the fresh green cabbage and spicy red chili peppers will make any hot dog dance in your mouth!

What are your favorite hot dog toppings?

Reena Mehta

25 Ways to Use Sauerkraut

Oktoberfest in Germany may have ended, but you can keep the celebrations going all month long. Sauerkraut, a traditional German fermented cabbage, isn...

1. andrew says:

Guacamole made with tomatillos instead of tomatoes and lots of cilantro. Also, a strawberry relish (diced strawberries, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and ginger paste) or a cocoa-jalapeno sauce, or cherry tomato confit. Currently experimenting with a corn-and-blueberry salsa using poblano peppers and shallots. It's actually surprisingly good.

2. Haute hot dogs – my favorite is to put them into a baguette with Dijon mustard and serve with pomme frites (fries!). Tres elegant.

3. George says:

For years I've been eating hot dogs with Vietnamese garlic chili paste/sauce and shredded Napa cabbage and scallion, sometimes with a little Chinese mustard, too. Also good is a BBQ sauce made with hoi sin, garlic, chili paste, vinegar and honey.

4. I love these ideas of bringing Hot Dogs in to Haute Cuisine! As wonderful as they are though- can they really beat a simple hot dog with a drizzle of classic Golden's mustard?

5. Veronica says:

I like mine Mexican style. I spread McCormick lime mayonaise on bun, add pico de gallo (diced tomato, scallions, avacado, cilantro, serrano peppers, & lime juice), and regular mustard mmmmm delicious!

6. Sammy says:

My favorite is the side on top from Papaya King – they put a freakin' mountain of chili and cheese and fries on top of the dog. It's artery cloggingly amazing. Just noticed they got a create a topping competition going on thier site…awesome.

7. Veronica Culver says:

I love all types of hot dogs and Food Network magazine has a great assortment in the current issue. I really enjoyed seeing all the varieties along with a cute idea for a basic version that really elevates them, I think. They took a dinner roll, split it down the middle (on top and not all the way through), placed a mini hot dog in the middle and a dollop of mustard (or ketchup) on the top center. It looks better than I'm describing!

• Fred says:

Which kind of dogs, they used, if you have an idea. I am visited all supermarkets in my area looking for mini dogs, and I have not find them.

8. Lynn says:

with mustard and relish and chopped onions! and they HAVE to be Shields Hot Dogs! because Shultz isn't there anymore!

9. Juztme says:

Home made canned cabbage Chow Chow!

My family loves it.