Backstage With The Ace of Cakes

by in View All Posts, January 8th, 2010

FNM_DuffBand075.PSD
As a major sugar junkie, I’ve been watching Ace of Cakes for years. And like with most reality shows, I feel like I got to know its stars—especially Duff Goldman, the bad-boy baker and owner of Charm City Cakes. So when my boss told me I’d be going backstage to see Duff’s band play a concert at the House of Blues and write a story about him, I was excited (Yes! Maybe he’ll make me a cake shaped like my face!), though a tad confused (he has a band?). I was also a little nervous, since on the show, Duff can sometimes be the serious guy who cracks the whip on his wisecracking staff. . .so what if he was too serious about the “craft” of his music to let loose and have some fun?

FNM_DuffBand008.PSDWell, I didn’t need to worry about that. It’s true that Duff’s songs are moody, atmospheric, and all-instrumental (listen to one of his songs here); it’s not the hyper pop music you might expect from someone who spends his entire day swimming in sugar. But hanging out with him and his bandmates was fun and upbeat. Once they finished their sound check, we piled into to a private room in the House of Blues bar, which was decorated with red velvet booths and gold Buddha statues. After ordering a round of Yuenglings, Duff kicked up his neon-yellow sneakers and the goofing around began. The guys gave each other noogies (luckily, visiting journalists were exempt) and Duff teased the youngest member of the group: “Remember when we messed with you by painting your guitar pedal hot pink?”
FNM_DuffBand086.PSD

Download a free copy of one of the band’s songs (to download as an MP3, right click on the link and select “Save Link As. . .”). Plus, enter for a chance to win a free CD of Duff’s album, signed by Duff himself. See the full story about Duff’s band from Food Network Magazine.

—Sarah Z. Wexler

What to Watch: Backyard Weekend Barbecues, and On-the-Go Cooking on Cutthroat Kitchen

For this Labor Day weekend, Food Network has a great selection of grilling and barbecuing episodes starting with The Pioneer Woman and Trisha’s ...

1. Isaac says:

I had no idea that he had a band.

2. Klisterx says:

Wondering who in the band?

3. Tania says:

Hello? What's the band's name?

4. Fan says:

The band is called "…soihadto…" and consits of Duff, Honus, Rahn and Yungwirth.

5. DCbass says:

Honus is rockin' the "Babies with Rabies" shirt…right on!

6. Jane Goods says:

Your employees are dirty and disgusting. How many trashy tattos does a person need? Wash your dirty hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lisa F. says:

Oh, Jane, go work at a soup kitchen and stop wasting your energy hating someone who is just having fun. Also, learn how to spell. Oh, one more thing, excessive punctuation doesn't get your point across more effectively, it just means you need your medication. Have fun on your soap box loony tunes!

7. fern says:

if i counted all the hours ive watched your show , im sure i,d win a cake if there was a contest of such , lol .
    you guys amaze me ,but somtimes i cant figure out how much of the cake decor is actually cake or foam !!!

8. Duff and…soihadto…will be at the Jamestown Savings Bank Arena in Jamestown, NY May 8th in the new Arena Club!

9. Have I ever emailed anyone with a link suggestion? Sure. I’ve done all sorts of stuff through the years. But link building has the least return on investment. That’s why I prefer to create visibility instead. You can make bad content visible and get no links. You can make average content visible and get links. You can make great content visible and get LOTS of links.