Too Hot to Cook?

by in View All Posts, August 11th, 2009

watermelon-feta-saladl_s4x3_lg

August is No-Cook Month on FoodNetwork.com, and we worked hard to find 31 recipes that don’t require any heat to prepare. (We didn’t want it to turn into 31 days of tuna sandwiches.) But, with a lot of surfing around, we ended up with a nice selection of gazpachos, salads and sandwiches, mixed in with some great side dishes and no-cook desserts (check out Paula’s Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding).

claire-robinson_med_medMy favorite no-cook option is always a salad, and one of my favorite new shows on Food Network is Claire Robinson’s 5 Ingredient Fix. Luckily, Claire actually did a No-Cook Dinner episode of her show recently, so I put together Claire’s Antipasti Chopped Salad for a quick, light dinner. It was fantastic!

antipastichoppedsalad_s4x3_lgI’m probably in the minority, but I don’t usually use jarred, marinated artichokes, which were the key to this flavorful, five-ingredient salad. First you chop up the artichokes and toss them into the salad, and then you use a little of the marinade (mostly oil and vinegar, according the ingredients list) for your salad dressing. I had my doubts about this. . . I thought Claire might have run out of ingredients and suggested the artichoke marinade as a dressing in desperation, but after tasting it I’m convinced it’s pure genius. Having the marinade double as a dressing saves time and money, and it tastes amazing!

Want more salads? Here are 50 simple summer salads from Food Network Magazine.

What’s your favorite no-cook meal? Do you have a killer gazpacho recipe? I’d love to hear about it!

- Kirsten, Web Editor

Dinner Rush! Creamy Rigatoni with Squash, Sage and Pine Nuts

Move over, pumpkin spice latte — you’re not the only squash-themed edible that deserves the seasonal spotlight. Let’s clear a path f...

1. Robin Koury says:

The pullout section featuring the 50 summer salads has been a lifesaver on days when it is just too hot to turn the oven on! Last night we made the Watermelon Feta Salad featured on page 108 of the latest FN Magazine. It was totally refreshing – creamy and utterly delicious! I can't wait to check out the rest of the no cook recipes on foodnetwork.com

2. Cheftt says:

My husband & I tried Melissa's "french" viniagrette with the addition of a little bit of soy (we use tamari) & it was awful!

3. Cheftt says:

I usually end up making about 1 cup of completed tartar sauce, so it is just this easy: 1/2 cup Hellmanns mayonaise and 1/2 cup relish. Just stir together and stick it in the fridge for at least a hour before serving. It is terrific on all fried fish but works well with steamed or broiled, as well. You can easily adjust it to your taste by adding more or less of each ingredient.

4. Joe in N. Calif says:

Too hot to cook? Put your slow cooker outside. On the porch, on the patio, in the shed or garage. That way it doesn't heat up the house at all.

Odd how our ancestors figured out that they could cook outside in the hot months to keep from heating up the house, but we, with our modern gadgets can't figure it out.

5. Lana says:

Fortunately, the summer hasn't been too hot to cook in S. Idaho. So far. But while camping last weekend, we did some dutch oven cooking that turned out fantastic and is always a treat. I think Joe in Nor Cal is right – something about food cooked and eaten outside … tastes batter?

Favorite no-cook dish? a cantaloupe and prosciutto salad with an eiswein-balsamic vinaigrette, mozzarella and arugula. Totally a family favorite.

6. Becky says:

My favorite summer no-cook meal is the good old tomato sandwich — fresh garden tomatoes sliced and lightly salted on quality bread toasted and spread with the best mayonnaise. Simple and simply heavenly!