Sneak Peek: Melissa’s New Show!

by in View All Posts, View Video Only, August 2nd, 2009

Be the first to watch Melissa on the set of her new show, Ten Dollar Dinners with Melissa d’Arabian.

Top 10 Recommended Eats from the North: On the Road with America’s Best Cook

On America’s Best Cook, Sundays at 9|8c, home cooks battle it out for the chance to win the title of America’s Best Cook, all while repres...

1. Nancy says:

I remembered about the show too late. It had already aired. Darn! I wanted to see it.

2. bruceINnyc says:

although i was pulling a bit more for Melissa, either she or Jeffrey would have been fine for me. equally engaging, knowledgeable cooks. but as a guy who has been cooking since i was 8 and enjoys spicy food, i wanted more than a show about "sweet heat." that's why i looked forward to Melissa's show.

but, after seeing her premier show i have to say, like many others, i was disappointed. the pilot "kitchen survival guide" show was a cute idea–albeit tired for the countless experienced cooks who watch FN. nonetheless, a catchy perspective on stretching a dollar AND doing new and creative things with stuff you may already have. but the $10 meals idea feels so limiting.

it's how to make a meal for $10 or less. the end.

technique tips? sure. but the premise is how to make meals really cheap. FN already has Sandra Lee's Money Saving Meals–this feels like a variant of that, with a touch of Rachel's 30 minute concepts thrown in. honestly, that's enough of that.

i understand the mommy demographic and the whole, "let's capitalize on the crappy economy" mindset, but the concept of the "$10 meal" feels less exciting to me than, well–just about anything else you could have done with Melissa. i'm a single dad–i want to save money like everyone else. but i would have preferred the season of sweet heat to this. the constant reference to "when i lived in paris," reminded me of Bob admonishing Kelsey last season every time she said, "when i was in culinary school…" tell me you lived in paris once. my knees are getting creaky, but my mind is still facile enough to retain that for an entire show.

yeah, i know–first show. maybe this wasn't the first one you shot–but it's the one you chose to premier with. on a scale of 1 to 10, i give it a 6. this is compared to last year's winner, Aaron's premier show which for me was a strong 8. i don't expect to make it through more than another couple of these shows, and i DO want to give her a chance.

but overall, this season's NFNS was very disappointing for me. compared to previous seasons, there wasn't that core of truly talented competitors either in the kitchen or on camera. no one really stood out as the, "oh man, this one is the one to beat! s/he can cook AND can rock the camera!" Jeffrey came close. Debbie seemed to but she lied and deflected blame for her shortcomings and too often the judges complained that her food was less than stellar. i really didn't care who won in the end and this is the first season i felt like that.

and btw, when are you going to get a good vegetarian chef on FN?

3. Debbie Rosenwinkel says:

WHY doesn't the Food Network put any of its' cooking show on in the prime time EVENING slots? With so many households where both people work, nobody is home during the day to watch great cooks like Ina, Giada, or Guy. This is when I would love to sit down and learn some new recipes for your great chefs. Give them some primetime exposure instead of the endless reruns of food "travel" shows at night. Blech!!

4. Lou says:

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Give Melissa a chance to show her stuff. She is a breath of fresh air. Letting her children do things with her in the kitchen shows that she has patience and will go a long way. I thoroughly enjoyed her First Show. Melissa does not act like a rich person. Looks as though she deserves everything that she has achieved.

5. Gale says:

Jeffrey could have brought so much more charm, wit, and culinary skill! Sorry judges, but you blew it.

6. luvcookin says:

I think FN got a raw deal with the Intense Debate company handling their blogs. I just counted 30 of the same comments posted as replies. Repeats. Half the time, I can't get the replies to come up and it doesn't matter how you sort the list. Everything is all jumbled up.

7. Yoshi says:

Really enjoyed her program. Like her energy and easy meals. Hope you keep her on your channel.

8. ohiogirl says:

Wow, some of you need to go get lives. Why don't you stop watching tv and go into the kitchen and cook something?

9. Laurie says:

Hi…I've never blogged on anything before. I LOVE Melissa. I want to watch someone who is bright and cheerful. I want quick, cheap, interesting recipes. I went to her recipes after her new show and was sad her new chicken recipe she did on the finale wasnt here. I went back and watched to show. I madeit for dinner and it was one of the most flavorful chicken dinner's I've cooked. Please post it… I really loved it. I think you did a great job in your choice. I love the show, sad I have to wait until next summer for another one!! What happened to the woman two shows ago from California, I don't see her anywhere???? I've beeen dying to know this… where do I find the answer? Again..Kudos for another great choice!!!

10. Kathleen says:

I also agree with everyone, Melissa is OK. I am an older person and my Husband is a great cook and gets alot of his info for cooking from the Food Network. We also were looking forward to seeing Jeffrey win. He had a great point of view and we were looking forward to the different seasonings that he would have brought to the watching public. I agree with the person that said where can you buy all the items that Melissa needed to make the meal she made on her first show. NOT IN MY AREA could I purchase everything that I needed for the meal for $10.00. PLEASE PLEASE give Jeffrey a show, I'm sure there are alot of viewers that you might lose if you do not.