After the Confetti

by in View All Posts, View Video Only, August 2nd, 2009

Watch what Jeffrey and Melissa had to say directly after the confetti fell on The Next Food Network Star finale set.

Traditional Fried Chicken Flies the Coop in Favor of the Sweet and Spicy

There are few foods revered for their simplicity and nostalgia-inducing power like crispy, juicy fried chicken. But on Thursday night, 17 prominent Ne...

1. DKA says:

TO: FOOD NETWORK EXECUTIVES
    FROM: 38 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALE

MELISSA= STATUS QUO
    JEFFREY= NEXT LEVEL I HOPE FOOD NETWORK GETS TO SOON! FOOD NETWORK NEEDS A MALE HOST LIKE JEFFREY. HE IS MORE EXCITING THAN BOBBY FLAY. I THINK THAT IS WHY BOBBY WAS AGAINST HIM SO OFTEN.

I HAVE NOT WATCHED THE FN SINCE THE DECISION. NO INTEREST, WHEN THE EXCITEMENT IS GONE AND THE NETWORK GOES BACK TO THE SAME OLD, SAME OLD, SHOWCASE IT IS CURRENTLY RUNNING.

BRING BACK EMERIL OR GIVE US JEFFREY!

2. Phyllis says:

Right choise FN but they were both fun to watch. As far as who grew the most and hit their stride by listening and "getting it", was Melissa hands down! She is incedibly smart and I am certain will only grow and improve as Giada and Sandra Lee. Love all the gals at FN including Paula and her over the top southern drawl, and Ina with the giggle. I do miss Mario but my all time fav's are Guy's Diners and Duff's cakes. You go guys!

3. Carole Mohler says:

The judges got it all wrong again! Jeffrey was much more inspirational with his new spices that he brings to his dishes. We don't want the same old way of fixing chicken. We want what Jeffrey brings new and exciting dishes that anyone can do. He is just great!! I hope that he writes a cook book soon so that we can cook with glamor and ease. Each dish he creates is like heaven on earth. Keep up with you dream Jeffrey I right behind you with support.. I want you recipe with the mayo and harissa Please!!!! Carole

4. SueAtkinson says:

To all that do not understand our frustration with Melissa being chosen because we feel that she is just more FN same old, same old. Go to the FN recipes-there are 5 pages of recipes for shrimp scampi. A total of 55 recipes for this very simple dish with the following FN chefs/cooks: Emeril, Bobby, Ina, Tyler, Rachel, Robert Irvine, Mario, Giada, the FN Kitchens as well as a host of outside chefs. Chicken breast recipes, 141 pages totaling 1690 recipes. Yes Melissa fits right in to the FN….her first recipe…another shrimp scampi, how long before another chicken breast recipe……same old….same old….

• Spiltmilk says:

We tried Jeffery's sandwich from his pilot and we both ended up puking. Who would even mix those ingredients up besides a child?

• Spiltmilk says:

I'm pretty sure harissa is illegal in the US.

• Spiltmilk says:

I watched Melissa's debut show today. Liked it, but find her mannerisms distracting. Do you know if there is any chance that Jeffrey will turn…

• Spiltmilk says:

I assume that the "boarders" staying for supper.

• Spiltmilk says:

Really? You're gonna put your Rook there? That just told me your entire game plan. You just revealed in a blatant way what you're up to. Don't you know how to play chess? That was a stupid move.

• Spiltmilk says:

Some people need to get the last word in. They have no respect for others' opinions. They would make some here their personal targets belittling all of their views. And they would come back as someone else to bolster that view. That is why the Food Network hired me (an investigative reporter) to flush this person/people out and submit them to humiliation that makes them scurry out of here with their pathetic tail between their legs. But as expected they just won't leave. They're laying low. Being somewhat polite with their comments thinking they have people fooled. SueAtkinson aka rosesherwood, @asunburst, Teri, Caroline, Manny and the list goes on and on and on is still trolling this site with her inane comments. Trying to stir up controversy. Trying to irritate. Trying to convince herself/himself of his skill at fooling others. I suspect to them it's a harmless game. It fills their otherwise empty life with something to do. Some accomplishment, albeit a silly one. But there is collateral damage in these games. And if I can break up one of those attackers at their own game. I will do it. So SueAtkinson show some bravado and come out of hiding. You're so smart by your own reckoning why don't you come out and face the music? Scared? Yep. You bet you are. Bit off a little more than your stomach could handle you spineless little wimp. That keyboard apparently doesn't have the muscle you thought it had. You might want to see if the warranty is still good and have it replaced. Too bad you can't do that with your spine you sad pathetic excuse for a human.

• Spiltmilk says:

Some people need to get the last word in. They have no respect for others' opinions. They would make some here their personal targets belittling all of their views. And they would come back as someone else to bolster that view. That is why I've decided to flush this person/people out and submit them to humiliation that makes them scurry out of here with their pathetic tail between their legs. But as expected they just won't leave. They're laying low. Being somewhat polite with their comments thinking they have people fooled. SueAtkinson aka rosesherwood, @asunburst, Teri, Caroline, Manny and the list goes on and on and on is still trolling this site with her inane comments. Trying to stir up controversy. Trying to irritate. Trying to convince herself/himself of his skill at fooling others. I suspect to them it's a harmless game. It fills their otherwise empty life with something to do. Some accomplishment, albeit a silly one. But there is collateral damage in these games. And if I can break up one of those attackers at their own game. I will do it. So SueAtkinson show some bravado and come out of hiding. You're so smart by your own reckoning why don't you come out and face the music? Scared? Yep. You bet you are. Bit off a little more than your stomach could handle you spineless little wimp. That keyboard apparently doesn't have the muscle you thought it had. You might want to see if the warranty is still good and have it replaced. Too bad you can't do that with your spine you sad pathetic excuse for a human.

• Spiltmilk says:

Keep trying SueAtkinson. I can spot you every time. You're so sad and pathetic. I've been merciful too. I haven't pulled out the big guns yet.

• Spiltmilk says:

I remember the first time I tried cooking I started a 4 alarm fire. Three people died and yet I managed to cook the best filet mignon the world has ever known. I've always been an incredible cook even from the start.

• Spiltmilk says:

Because of my superior intellect I was not able to find enjoyment in her show. She failed to challenge me to give up my remote and start cooking. So I remained firmly planted on my big fat lazy rump and decided my time would be better spent nitpicking about every thing possibly wrong with the show.

• Spiltmilk says:

The bottom line is I can't be inspired to cook unless I have Jeffery Saad lifting my big fat butt off the couch. Only his POV can move my lazy ass away from the TV. Eitstime to watch TV.

• Spiltmilk says:

Get yourself a Jeffery Saad ringtone so that every time your cell phone rings it'll "inspire" you to get up off your big fat lazy ass and into the kitchen to whip up some of your elitist delights that will glide down your throat with a pleasure unknown in many parts of the world.

• Spiltmilk says:

Thanks Susie for your make up tips, was that to dodge the answers to our questions?!!!!

You did give us a clue in your video answers that the judges were split. I am assuming you voted for Jeffrey and Bob & Bobby voted for Melissa.
      From a marketing perspcetive, they blew it!! Jeffrey would have brought in a huge, broad range of viewers!
      Foodies & Newbies, Men & Women of all ages, Gay & Straight viewers, and the huge Cooking without Borders audience!!!!
      Where now your Melissa show – only appeals to a very small viewing market! Explain to me – how that makes sense Bob & Bobby?
      Anyway I just went to Jeffreys website and I am "inspired" again. Check it out: http://jeffreysaad.wordpress.com/

• Spiltmilk says:

"Great PROMISE that something is amazing?" Little over the top with your view here aren't you? Exaggerating perhaps to rile things up? And what's with the multiple comments. 21 comments and four are yours? And all negative tearing down comments. Kind of like SueAtkinson. She's one who thrives on controversy by saying negative things and stirring the pot with multiple comments. You best be careful there Heather D so you don't develop a reputation like she has. She would also reply on her own posts as different people to bolster her views. But I'm sure you're not looking to do that. I'm sure you're not that pathetic. We'll just have to wait and see and carefully weigh your thoughts to see what you're communicating here.

• Spiltmilk says:

Barbara in Da Philly Burbs said it best when she said "Nobody watches, nobody buys the sponsors products, pretty soon no paychecks and no network, must be all the chefs seen it coming because they are all leaving for other networks. I found my local PBS has a digital channel that shows cooking shows and Julia's old shows. Now to go buy a digital TV, get it free can do away with Dish, save me all kinds of money, heck maybe they did me a favor by choosing another COOK!

• Spiltmilk says:

It is inconceivable to me that a show tooting bugle boy meals would include an ingredient such as american cheese. And I would SELDOM make a two confederate fort containing heavy cream, bacon & potatoes AND serve it as an entree. With this said, I think Melissa did OK and will settle down in time. At least Food Network did not have her cleavage showing!

• Spiltmilk says:

It is what it is, we can not do anything to change it, Food Network is going to give us just what they think will line their pockets. We all can complain about the cost of shopping, the cost of shipping, it still is not going to change. People will use what ever they think is appropriate to get their point across, rather it be the shipping cost, the time, waiting for the product, it is not available at my local market. If you really wanted to try it, you would find a way to get it. In the end we get what we get, one way to get your point across, if you like the show buy the sponsors products, if you don't like the show buy the competitors products and change the channel.

• Chetf says:

• Chetf says:

My favorite no-cook option is always a salad, and one of my favorite new shows on Food Network is Claire Robinson’s 5 Ingredient Fix. Luckily, Claire actually did a No-Cook Dinner episode of her show recently, so I put together Claire’s Antipasti Chopped Salad for a quick, light dinner. It was fantastic!

• Cheftt says:

• Cheftt says:

• Chetf says:

The pullout section featuring the 50 summer salads has been a lifesaver on days when it is just too hot to turn the oven on! Last night we made the Watermelon Feta Salad featured on page 108 of the latest FN Magazine. It was totally refreshing – creamy and utterly delicious! I can't wait to check out the rest of the no cook recipes on foodnetwork.com

• Cheftt says:

My husband & I tried Melissa's "french" viniagrette with the addition of a little bit of soy (we use tamari) & it was awful!

• Cheftt says:

I usually end up making about 1 cup of completed tartar sauce, so it is just this easy: 1/2 cup Hellmanns mayonaise and 1/2 cup relish. Just stir together and stick it in the fridge for at least a hour before serving. It is terrific on all fried fish but works well with steamed or broiled, as well. You can easily adjust it to your taste by adding more or less of each ingredient.

• Chetf says:

Could someone tell me why no matter when I check this site Sue Attkinson's comments are always the first ones with comments from days ago and nothing new in them.

5. Carla says:

Jeffrey Jeffrey Jeffrey – need I say more?

6. Catherine Dunn says:

I am so sorry you chose Melissa over Jeffrey. I think when she is full swing into having a TV show AND being mom to her four children, you will witness a colossal meltdown. I watch the Food Network to relax and will not watch a hyperactive woman do anything much less make food that is not new. When viewing her, I do not read "high energy"; I read "frantic." I also saw the set jaw and eyes flashing daggers at fellow contestants that made me think "diva." Melissa seemed to approach cooking as a chore to be overcome because she was focusing on a list of upcoming chores whereas Jeffrey appeared happy to be cooking, and that made me want to cook more. His confidence and self-assured manner made me feel that I can tackle any recipe. Please, please don't let him slip away; give him a spot as you gave Adam. However, I hope you rethink "Ingredient Smuggler."

7. Ann says:

To All You People Out there that have said nasty things about Melissa YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES! If you can't say anything kind then you should just keep your mouths shut ; as I'm sure you know the old saying about let the first person without sin cast the first stone (that goes without saying that you would not be saying all those comments) as there is no one in this world without faults, and I'm sure that you would not be wanting people talking about your faults. Give Melissa a chance and I feel that she is thinking about her family and wanting to better her family. You don't have to live in New York to be on the Food Network, and I believe that she will always keep her priorities straight ( as she had many times during the all the tapings mentioned that her family means the world to her) .

8. doug says:

Last year, there was only one winner but two people both showed up on FN. Adam Gertler has a show also, although he was second place.

So this year, do the same. Please. I would watch both Jeffery and Melissa. I want to make great food on a budget, and I want to make great food from new ingredients, even If I have to have them shipped in. I also think you can use these people as “guests: on other shows. It would be great to see Alton Brown work with the Smuggler to make some good eats. I would love to see Melissa cook with Rachael Ray.

9. SueAtkinson says:

FN folks-I think what you need to do is add some intermediate and master level programing. Sure, there will always be new cooks so the Melissa, Rachel, Giada, Sandra Lee, Ina, Paula, Ask Aida etc shows will appeal to some. But why cater only to the new cook? I will bet that most of your viewers are 30+ years of age and no longer "new" cooks. We have grown up with you, so stop stunting our growth. So many bloggers have told you they are sick of the same old same old. And shame on anyone blogging here that cannot find an ingredient….most major food markets and grocery stores have a varied line of spices and condiments. And you are all using a computer. Google the items you cannot find. Amazon, for one, has lots of suppliers. Also, if a host is using a spice that maybe hard to find, perhaps they could list some suppliers at the end of the show, or as part of the recipe they post . Common-challange us and inspire us again like you used to-no more excuses!

• Spiltmilk says:

I love the new format for Rachel Ray's cooking show. I can't believe you guys did that. It's unique.

• NeverBefore says:

I feel the same way.

• Spiltmilk says:

If you're good at playing chess you're good at anticipating your opponents moves. And when they make a bad move designed to avert your attention, well, it's an obvious ploy and baiting you to move where you shouldn't move.

• Spiltmilk says:

If you're good at playing chess you're good at anticipating your opponents moves. And when they make a bad move designed to avert your attention all you can do is laugh and proceed to victory.

• Spiltmilk says:

I feel sad for our little Miss SueAtkinson. She ran away with her tail between her legs whimpering like a coward. And now returning with a plethora of names and identities. All sour and insulting like her's is the be all end all of opinions.

• Spiltmilk says:

While Jeffery and Melissa are good cooks I have a suspicion that no one is close to SueAtkinson for culinary skills. She sounds like the greatest chef to ever walk the earth by her own reckoning.

• Spiltmilk says:

While the new show was entertaining it wasn't nearly as entertaining as the drama that SueAtkinson provides with her incessant complaining was. While she's still here she disguises herself under a variety of names. I'm sure you can pick her out.

• Spiltmilk says:

Post your comments about the new show on the Melissa's Sneak Preview blog. Don't confuse the issue by posting elsewhere. Unless you've got motives to do so . . .

• Spiltmilk says:

I'm too busy watching The Food Network and criticizing it to even consider cooking anything. Maybe I'll get delivery.

• Spiltmilk says:

I loved the new show despite not watching it. It would be better if I had any desire to cook. But I don't.

• Spiltmilk says:

We celebrated the new show by getting 450 people to watch it on a big screen at the local High School. It was worth the wait.

• Spiltmilk says:

Although I love your new attempts here at trying to rile people up. I miss you as SueAtkinson. She was the best "crazy" I've ever met on a blog. Will we see her again as herself?

• Spiltmilk says:

Will Melissa survive? Will the nay sayers keep up their constant negativity? Tune in next week for the next exciting episode of "But We Wanted Jeffery!"

• Spiltmilk says:

Great idea! I loved Melissa's show today, but I was intrigued by the concept of Jeffrey exploring new ingredients each week. Now that is an original idea and something the more experienced foodies would love! We want Jeffrey, too!

• Spiltmilk says:

As for her “outcooking" everyone else on the show, that is not necessarily the case nor will we ever know as we could not taste the dishes for ourselves. Her dishes were called dry or lacking flavor on multiple occasions. The reality is, she and Jeffrey were the only 2 that did not self destruct.

10. joan jones says:

I am sorry you seasoned cook's are disappointed! For someone
    new to cooking, i think she will do great. I not only liked her
    Demo, i appreciated a meal that i thought i could make, and
    a BIG PLUS, with little CLEAN UP! I LOVE to watch the others,
    but the 30 min. meals usually has a extra 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. some-
    times of clean-up, & i am just looking at all those pots & pans,
    LOL & think forget it……… i am wishing her the best & hoping
    she will keep to her direction of the working mom, also means
    not so much clean-up, & budget meals that taste good!!