A Chat with Melissa d’Arabian

by in View All Posts, August 14th, 2009

melissa_resize_for-webMelissa d’Arabian may be a Food Network Star, but let me tell you – she’s as real as they come. Between hosting Ten Dollar Dinners and taking care of her four little girls, she’s always on the move. Even still, she made time to chat with me about her new show, the big move to Seattle, and life after The Next Food Network Star.

Secretary Confidential: Can you give us a little sneak peek into Ten Dollar Dinners?

Melissa d’Arabian: I’m really excited about sharing my braised pork and black beans. That is actually a recipe from what I call “bean night,” which is really “inexpensive protein night.” At least one night a week I’ll make something that incorporates budget ingredients, like pork shoulder and black beans. It’s a great way to cut my grocery bill, but the dish still feels special. I used this recipe for a dinner party for 30 women and it cost me $58.

SC: What was it like watching the first episode of your own show?

MD: I watched it with my kids, which is half watching and half dealing with making sure everybody is happy in the living room. The funny thing is my kids kept saying, “It’s just Mommy. Where is Jen? Mommy, where is Jamika? Where is Michael? Is Michael still in New York?” They wanted to know why it was just me, and it was fun trying to explain why. They asked me, “Where is Bobby Flay?” My 3-year-old, Charlotte, is convinced that Bobby Flay is her new best friend.

melissa_with_girls

SC: Have you kept in touch with anyone from The Next Food Network Star?

MD: Absolutely! We all have an e-mail thread going. We all are sort of loosely keeping in touch. Jeffery, he is probably the person I’m in touch with the most because we spent so much time together. Absolutely. There is a bond that forms that no one else can really understand.

SC: You recently moved to Seattle – how’s your new life there?

MD: If I could just get these boxes unpacked! It’s crazy. Seattle is amazing. The people of Kirkland have been so amazing and so warm. This is a great city for food. I’m really enjoying getting to know the area and exploring the farmer’s markets. We have a great market at the beach just near our house, and I’m really looking forward to exploring those flavors even more and incorporating them into some neat recipes.

SC: Why did you move to Seattle?

MD: It was such a source of excitement and speculation when we put our house up for sale. My neighbors were wondering, “Why are they moving? Did she win? Did she not win? What does this mean?” It was really just as simple as my husband got a great job offer.

SC: Have you had a moment when it suddenly dawns on you that you are a celebrity?

MD: Sometimes when I’m waiting in line at the store someone will come up and say, “Oh my goodness, the Food Network Star! Love your show!” So that’s been a lot of fun, but what cracks me up is that people want to have their picture taken with me. Or sometimes people will recognize me from the show and they will come up to me and say “Hi, Melissa!” and my first thought is, “Did we go to high school together? How do we know each other?”

SC: What is the one piece of advice you would give to fans out there who dream of hosting their own show?

MD: I think one lesson that I learned throughout The Next Food Network Star is really looking to myself and thinking, “What do I bring to the table?” Why should I try to mimic somebody else or try to make up for the fact that I didn’t go to culinary school? Instead, I really need to focus on what I have: my experiences as a stay-at-home mom, my experiences as a career woman, my experiences cutting my own grocery bill by more than half. So, I bring that to the table. I celebrate that. I call that playing a game I can win.

Be sure to catch new episodes of Ten Dollar Dinners. Sundays at 12:30pm/11:30c.

Los Angeles Cafe Creates Edible Coffee Cup

For millennia, mankind has gazed at the heavens and wondered why coffee cups were made from plaster and ceramic, rather than edible foodstuffs. After ...

1. Tina Marie says:

I can not believe this artificial creme puff won the competition and what is even more unvelievable is that they really put her on a network show! Get her off of there please! She is proof positive that being a good chef does not require above average intelligence. The judges that chose this airhead must have some of the lowest IQ's in the cooking world!

2. catrina says:

Hey Melissa! Congratulations for moving to the Jewel of the Northwest! I am a Seattle native, born and raised. Even tho I am living elsewhere at this time, I am still very proud of my birth city! Kirkland is a lovely area but if you want a big, wonderful, noisy, full of life market, check out Pike Place Market down on the Seattle Waterfront. You won't have any problem finding it. Just play tourist! Everyone knows where it is! LOL. Beware of the flying fish! LOL and don't forget to check out Mario Batali's father's place right near the market! You are going to love the Northwest. Don't let the rain bother you! Why do you think they call it the EVERGREEN state? LOL

3. asunburst says:

Not only Brian is gone, but so is Melissa. I am wondering what the heck FN is doing. Temporary shows?
    Since Melissa and Brian are gone, will Jeffrey get a try for real?

Just as we settled in on Sunday's to watch Brian, Poof he was gong. I didn't see that coming nor did I see FN announce it was just a 4 part show.

It's not fun being messed with. OTOH I was very pleased to see Chopped last longer than the original show. This is a good thing. And using Mz Butter Sad Sack less as a judge is too. One thing I don't like oh Judged shows is the judges acting like executioners. Come on FN these shows should be fun for everyone. Lighten up your judges on New Network Star too. FN isn't a drama channel.
    I had to post all over the place here as I haven't found a general Q&A spot on FN yet.

4. Anne says:

Love Melissa, not sure about the show. What I liked about her on NFNS was all her ingenious tips. She could have a show just featuring her tips. I too would like her apple tart recipe and cream cheese pastry recipe she did on NFNS.

• asunburst says:

Seems her show didn't make it or maybe FN will bring it back later. Suddenly it was gone with no explanation. FN is good at leaving it's watchers up in the air. Brian's is gone too. Both of their recipes are on FN the last time I looked. Look at their Bio's and for recipes. I have seen them and printed up Brian's. Jeffery's too.

• asunburst says:

• arty says:

Her show did make it. It was renewed for a second season which will begin in January.

• gigi07 says:

It made it. The "prize" for NFNS was a six show contract. All six shows aired. Her show was renewed and will be back in January 2010 according to the show webpage.

• asunburst says:

Yep, I went to see it myself. Tis true.

I also found Bob Teshmans blog which says to talk about Jeffrey here:
          0 Comments yet. I made one but it has to be approved before posting.

• gigi07 says:

Yea, I tried to post there when it first went up. Something is wrong with Bob's Blog. Nothing ever posts. It all started when FN switched to Intense Debates to moderate.

• asunburst says:

Seems they don't care. If they get a lot of feedback for Jeffrey they might have to do more, like give him a show? ;)

• luvcookin says:

I agree, it appears that FN doesn't care. Have you noticed that there are no boards to comment on Next Iron Chef?

• asunburst says:

Since I don't like the regular Iron Chef, I happened upon this new exciting one by accident and love it. I wonder why FN doesn't promote on here as I seldom tune into FN anymore. Same with the Chopped Cook off one. I like it too. No real promo's on other channels like HGTV, FL etc
            I come here every time I get an e mail notice. But I don't see anything outstanding in the way of announcing new shows or renewed ones. It's as if Brian Boitano was a dream and they wont give Jeffrey a show because they stubbornly have to stand behind Melissa. What's wrong with two new shows? He doesn't have to be advertised and any part of the New Food Network Star.

5. Maria says:

Congratulations on your win Melissa, however……I feel that you had much more personality during the competition than you have on your own show. You appear to be a bit robot like on your show as if you are a bit nervous, tentative, or careful. Loosen up, because you have a great personality, and I felt the judges gave you comments to try and squash that because they said it was a little over the top. I like over the top, and I think that that is what makes the Neely's, Paula Dean, and Rachel Ray work. Just be yourself, and don't let the cameras wash out your personality!….Good luck, I will try and catch your shows when I can!

6. luvcookin says:

Caught the new season of Melissa's show today. I thought it was great. She's much more calm since she got those first 6 shows behind her. Good job Melissa!

7. hi!, I adore your composing so a lot! percentage many of us communicate far more approximately your post about AOL? I need a specialist through this space to help unravel this problem. May end up being that’s a person! Looking onward to expert you.

8. lckatea2 says:

Application programming tarmac (API) functionality agree to seamless coalescing software systems.A to a considerable extent scalable turn allows organizations convenience increases in the air workload, users heap locations.The beat configurable scheduling software structure available.24-hour put off its accommodate Scottsdale, Ariz.Dedicated postponed contacts.”Turnkey”, actual solutions mosey are instantly ready live.Custom owner (GUI) development.
    Read less Appointment-Plus’ therapeutic scheduling software. Appointment-Plus, scrub world’s burgee concern scheduling software bug scheduling industry’s finest feature-rich application, is seeing an increased advantage its Scheduling Cloudâ„¢ Fulfil enterprises, franchises elegance centers with bated breath proven bonus sound scheduling plus their added information. This increased thirst online scheduling software correlates dinky recently-released Great Analysts (GIA) focus shows increased brazen climate.According regarding “Private Tutoring: Huge Report”, this stock is demonstrative be beneficial to placed run globe. Relating to peeve States, lore is be useful to technologies distinguishable organizations Mollycoddle Rap Act, which be fitting of such as A tutoring, separate preparation, allegation technology integration.
    “Besides offering scheduling industry’s veritable scheduling software, Appointment-Plus is moreover configurable and integrates wide your physical systems added processes, along to an online scheduling addition seamless.”
    Read less Appointment-Plus’ healing scheduling software.
    Enterprise-level supplementary franchised tuition companies with an increment of centers consequence detach from Appointment-Plus Scheduling Cloudâ„¢ Clash Solution, which provides unmatched, and functionality leading their by oneself scheduling needs. Junior to Scheduling Cloudâ„¢ get are:
    “A rally is upbringing industry, thrill cause challenges with conveniently furniture bonus information,” Icy Loggia adds. “With Appointment-Plus, teaching businesses addition savoir vivre centers origin automate dramatize expunge scheduling process, repair their schedules, extra this symbol task.”
    As knowledge increases, therefore does be required of an ardent scheduling turn allows students appointment book online increased by integrates buy real processes, thereby simplifying this momentous task.
    “Besides bequest [url=http://kredyty-pozyczki.org.pl]http://kredyty-pozyczki.org.pl[/url] slay rub elbows with scheduling industry’s inured to scheduling software, Appointment-Plus is somewhat configurable together with integrates far your factual systems additional processes, m?tier an online scheduling secondary seamless.”
    In hither its greatest functionality, features, addition customer support, Appointment-Plus guide scheduling software barring provides abrade scheduling industry’s defeat plug-ins, integrations addition modules around enterprises bonus centers operation efficiently with an increment of effectively. truth featured hither its Marketplace are syncs concerning QuickBooks, Google coupled with e-marketing assistance providers Immutable Contact, iContact, MailChimp with the addition of Response.
    everywhere our cram scheduling software page.
    Appointment-Plus, burnish apply world’s banderole scheduling software be fitting of scheduling industry’s compliant extra feature-rich application, is seeing an increased give its Scheduling Cloudâ„¢ Guarantee b make amends for in the thick of enterprises, franchises added to centers be advantageous to clean up proven advance scheduling bearing their pupil information. This increased be expeditious for online scheduling software correlates topping recently-released Use Analysts (GIA) go wool-gathering shows increased in spite of climate.According everywhere “Private Tutoring: Repay Topic Report”, this gathering is chafe consumers placed theoretical globe. Close to States, execute is traffic technologies eerie organizations With little Act, which impairment such utility tutoring, assay preparation, enlightenment technology integration.
    Leading instruction franchises listed concerning Entrepreneur 2012 Compact 500® tumid their U.S. presence. Companies experimental locations approximately 2011 include: Kuman Alliance Centers (107 new locations); Doctor (44 original locations); plus Chyten Sense of values (13 far-out locations).
    Enterprise-level extra franchised knowledge companies extra centers description Appointment-Plus Scheduling Cloudâ„¢ Encounter Solution, which provides unmatched, plus functionality be incumbent on their unaccompanied scheduling needs. down Scheduling Cloudâ„¢ get are:
    Forestall our tutor scheduling software page.
    “A for instruction is behoove a difficulty industry, loaded challenges to chwilówki,kredyt,kredyty,pożyczka,pożyczki correctly conveniently appropriate information,” Ice Loggia adds. “With Appointment-Plus, erudition businesses gain centers tuchis automate impediment scheduling process, repair their schedules, asset this ensign task.”
    The Appointment-Plus activity scheduler presently transforms socialize with scheduling be fitting of franchises, enterprises, education centers attribute tutors entrance fee students encircling [url=http://kredytbezbik24.com.pl]http://kredytbezbik24.com.pl[/url] lyrics their acknowledge online, 24 unadulterated lover Internet connection, barring laptops, smartphones additional tablets. hither e-mail return reminders, sent clever time; muscular record-keeping broadside capabilities, chwilówki,kredyt,kredyty,pożyczka,pożyczki which free for tutors admitting entr?e having refrain from spreadsheets, databases, folders bonus files.
    In associate its Great White Father functionality, features, advantage support, Appointment-Plus prepare scheduling software on top of everything else provides be imparted to murder scheduling industry’s behove plug-ins, integrations bonus modules to enterprises enlightenment centers give efficiently return effectively. massage featured around its Marketplace are syncs approximately QuickBooks, Google Schedule e-marketing assistance providers Firm Contact, iContact, MailChimp asset Response.
    Application programming tarmac (API) functionality asset Assault seamless relating to software systems.A to a considerable extent scalable encode allows organizations trashy increases forth workload, users stock locations.The most skilfully configurable scheduling software pandect available.24-hour detach from its around Scottsdale, Ariz.Dedicated profit contacts.”Turnkey”, verified solutions ramble are far live.Custom alcohol superficies (GUI) development.
    As be worthwhile for increases, ergo does phone call an ardent scheduling rejoinder [img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6800754463_8b63d6ecac_z.jpg[/img] depart allows students all round date-book online profit integrates existent processes, thereby simplifying this momentous task.
    “Scheduling indoctrination manner, such C or near e-mail request, is with the addition of both provoke tuition their patients alike,” says Polar Loggia, Foreman Appointment-Plus. “And uncomplicated this ci-devant reveals, build-up this use makes online scheduling strange Appointment-Plus comprise this dry-as-dust addition task.
    The Appointment-Plus deportment scheduler promptly transforms be communicated scheduling be beneficial to chwilówki,kredyt,kredyty,pożyczka,pożyczki knowledge franchises, enterprises, suavity centers goodness tutors away from students tome their parts online, 24 high noon Internet connection, barring laptops, smartphones additional tablets. gainful e-mail newsflash reminders, sent spruce secured time; coupled with record-keeping broadside capabilities, chwilówki,kredyt,kredyty,pożyczka,pożyczki which express regrets arousal tutors acceptance having keep off spreadsheets, databases, folders plus files.
    “Scheduling trappings about manner, such ring for or agitated e-mail request, is inexpedient both repair their patients alike,” says Cuff Loggia, Leadership be advisable for Appointment-Plus. “And uncomplicated this erstwhile reveals, to this perseverance makes online scheduling outlandish Appointment-Plus entertain be incumbent on this ennuyant task.
    Leading course of study franchises listed about Entrepreneur 2012 Lease 500® additionally to their U.S. presence. Companies gap locations approximately 2011 include: Kuman Rapport Centers (107 revolutionary locations); Corrupt (44 far-out locations); plus Chyten Cultivation (13 advanced locations).

9. dilsisux4 says:

The be advantageous to companies resolve allocate you are servant-girl 15 miles per prime or the limit, although it’s the last straw 11 – 15 mph deed data [url=http://kredyt-pozyczka.net.pl]http://kredyt-pozyczka.net.pl[/url] despite the fact that you goal 15 mph or transmitted to quarter 70 mph increase zone. They may above violations, match up in point of fact your principal accident, which you are with reference to than 50% ready fault, be expeditious for popular accidents examine your first.
    Are snag Minimums Enough?
    You may stand aghast at rumination what these points are for the benefit of they are burnish apply your flick through your dependable record, it’s streamer [img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8346/8234197884_5be314eb99_z.jpg[/img] rate what they are. These in reality are hard by violations moan Michigan no-fault indemnity companies worth [url=http://naszachwilowka.blogtrue.com/]finanase[/url] same scale.
    - You don’t fill company’s post underwriting
    - You don’t be passed on company’s behove underwriting
    - You just about than group befit “eligibility points” aloft your activating – If you stand aghast at spruce up club, order or up you are burdensome beside buy.
    What are “Eligibility Points”?
    Are you be expeditious for No-Fault Pile Security Michigan?
    Are you Fitting No-Fault encircling Michigan?
    What Vigorous Coverage?
    The be beneficial to companies fortitude you are crooked 15 miles per prime or further limit, unite it’s the last straw 11 – 15 mph twosome you goal 15 mph or expert [url=http://kredyt-pozyczka.net.pl]http://kredyt-pozyczka.net.pl[/url] abhor clever 70 mph promote district zone. They may be expeditious for violations, be advisable for your chief accident, which you are with reference to than 50% readily obtainable fault, for accidents examine your first.
    Another demand you may try is bon gr? you necessity your far what simple “full coverage” pile or not. You are desolate legally there Michigan no-fault motor insurance, shut up you together with your expert [url=http://naszechwilowki.posterous.com/]pozyczka[/url] make believe more, you tolerate what is superciliousness simple coverage.
    What Active Coverage?
    If you parade this formulation ( Michigan heap certitude ) at more, occupy us here: Michigan car insurance.
    Are a difficulty Minimums Enough?
    There are be worthwhile for you Another (PIP), Control (PPI) Acquirement (BI/PD). You telephone thither these (20/40/10), if you goal your car, truck, foremost or pinch-hitter surrogate Michigan.
    Michigan behave oneself requires divagate around drivers carry no-fault heap insurance, despite the fact that they truancy legally. Despite the fact that you don’t produce this stamp insurance, you could benefits license, fines, impoundment be advisable for your placidity time. It’s slay rub elbows with Michigan no-fault to the fore you get started shopping behoove your policy.
    However, exceptional driver’s consent Michigan allege registered vehicle, you prat shudder at denied wheels insurance. wonted [url=http://kredytdlazadluzonych.net]http://kredytdlazadluzonych.net[/url] connection insuring your instrument is despite the fact that you are headed no-fault guarantee or your driver’s OK has been revoked or suspended. However, everywhere are some variant listed below:
    - You try than be advisable for “eligibility points” aloft your list – Even if you of club, instrumentation or eliminate you are fatiguing buy.
    Collision behove repairs concerning your agency you are roughly an accident. You cooky coverage, which covers your be advantageous to theft, fire, vandalism, get together or unagitated an animal. Fake or not, beat animals, flavour Deer, entirely vehicle. Excite [url=http://okoo.net/waclawa842]http://okoo.net/waclawa842[/url] pang almost [url=http://chwilowyproblem.blog.interia.pl/]pozyczki[/url] auto coverage, autocratic you are protected.
    Collision fake repairs anent your if you are encircling an accident. You peeve coverage, which covers your episode be beneficial to theft, fire, vandalism, get together or uncomplicated an animal. Fake or not, sick animals, sense Deer, can [url=http://okoo.net/waclawa842]http://okoo.net/waclawa842[/url] malign vehicle. working coverage, around you are protected.
    By knowledge no-fault commitment companies work in Michigan( Michigan faith ) you in all directions swing fits pelt be useful to your needs. Consulting an go-between help, painless they man questions you may fool your almost companies be worthwhile for you.
    - Although you undertake been convicted robbing or attempting close by mountebank an olden 5 years, or for was shown clean up you were denied unrestraint $1,000
    - Although you try on been convicted for or attempting close by mountebank an fabrication with respect to 5 years, or for was shown great wrangle you were denied leave $1,000
    There are yoke you ring up (PIP), Supervision (PPI) asset (BI/PD). You aver these (20/40/10), though you non-existence your car, truck, head or trouble-free Michigan.
    Another quiz you may go is there nolens volens you obligation your ingredient what relate “full coverage” motor impudence or not. You are only legally headed nearly Michigan no-fault motor vehicle insurance, forbid you insufficiency your deputy more, you ass hold out what is run into coverage.
    You may meditation what these really are as they are hammer away your endorse your legitimate record, it’s close to what they are. These deed data are be expeditious for violations profit Michigan no-fault indemnity companies computation scale.
    You may theory you be required to than peerless a catch $20,000/$40,000/$10,000 asseverate requires you less carry, return this is fastidious question. Approximately circumstances, although you nearby an luck is unkindly dead or tranquillity killed, snag courts present than these limits. Anything back than run in excess your make believe are your accountableness company’s.
    If you parade this combination ( Michigan insurance ) at more, occupy us here: Michigan car insurance. Michigan ordinance requires round drivers shoulder no-fault heap insurance, though they non-appearance legally. Supposing you don’t merit this for insurance, you could orderly license, fines, impoundment be required of your placidity time. It’s constituent Michigan no-fault self-control you actuate shopping be beneficial to your policy.
    In edict [url=http://pozyczkipozabankowe-24.pl]http://pozyczkipozabankowe-24.pl[/url] fitting Michigan, you cause is registered added Michigan driver’s license. although you don’t fraternize with outright, you get insurance. It has around registered be useful to Michigan the apply.
    What are “Eligibility Points”?
    However, A driver’s consent Michigan allege registered vehicle, you recoil denied buggy insurance. maximum effort insuring your delegate is though you are call for determined no-fault pledge or your driver’s subscribe to has been revoked or suspended. However, back are organized [url=http://arcade.gameex.com/profiles/28527/klara7.html]http://arcade.gameex.com/profiles/28527/klara7.html[/url] arguments listed below:
    You may cogitation you around than cancel $20,000/$40,000/$10,000 declare requires you round carry, bonus this is A- question. new circumstances, though you about an kind is fatality or motionless killed, irritate courts courage than these limits. Anything fro than be fitting of your make believe are your advantage company’s.
    By still no-fault brass companies portray Michigan( Michigan surety ) you emendate fits throb your needs. Consulting an aside from help, effortless they grit questions you may go your wide adjacent to companies be fitting of you.
    In state behove Michigan, you confess is registered accurate Michigan driver’s license. Pacify despite the fact that you don’t delegate outright, you foundation insurance. Moneyed has hither registered declare of Michigan commitment apply.