Susie’s Answers – Episode 4

by in View All Posts, July 3rd, 2009

asksusie_episode3_2
Thanks for another great week of questions! I’m traveling sans video camera this week, so blogging answers to you instead. Back up vlogging next week (promise), so post all your questions for this Sunday’s Episode 5 over here.

Onto my Episode 4 responses…

*****

Of course Teddy is the talk of the town this week! Courtney specifically wrote in wanting to know, “Was the decision to send Teddy home unanimous? If not, who did each judge vote to send home and why?”

I was really on the fence at first about whether we should let Teddy or Katie go. But Bob, and especially Bobby, really liked Katie and wanted to see more from her. I came down pretty hard on Katie for the under-cooked food, but Teddy just could not overcome being so forced and fake on camera. You saw in the challenge he had notes on his hand! So even though both of them were almost equally at the bottom for me, in the end, it was unanimous for us that Teddy needed to leave this week.

Jeffrey definitely had a tough episode this week. Debby asked me in the comments, “What the heck was Jeffrey supposed to do with blueberries and lobster? Since the baskets were chosen for them, are you trying to make Jeffrey fail?”

Bobby was actually very excited about Jeffrey’s basket and was looking forward to seeing what he would do with it. Look, I think it was a very, VERY difficult pairing of ingredients, but I’ve seen harder combinations on our show Chopped. This is where ingenuity, creativity and survival all come into play. The blueberries and taste of the dish weren’t his downfall; it was actually the consistency and preparation of what was, in fact, a failed pot pie. Jeffrey performed pretty poorly on this challenge, which is not typical for him. But his dish didn’t fail because it was blue; it failed because it was bad.

Megan wants to know, “Who is to blame for Debbie catching a pan in the face? Michael or Debbie? As a chef… if you are behind, say BEHIND!”

You are right. It was definitely Debbie’s call to let Michael know she was behind him. He had no idea that someone was there, especially with the pace and intensity of the clock ticking away. Just like when you’re passing someone on a bike, you should say, “on your left” or “behind you” – it’s more than just courtesy; it’s safety in a situation like that. Nonetheless, we felt terrible that Debbie got hurt, and we were absolutely worried about her. What you wouldn’t have known just by watching Episode 4 was that Debbie’s bruise was so severe, she had to keep applying and reapplying make-up as the bruise proceeded to grow and change colors. However, with all of that said, I feel a situation like this either makes you stronger, or you recoil in the face of obstacles. And in the end, I was disappointed that Debbie recoiled.

Dee, Susan, Brian, and Jennifer were all curious about the faulty equipment on this week’s episode. Dabney said, “It appeared not all of the stoves on the Intrepid were calibrated, resulting in some really bad dishes. Was this by design to see how the contestants would compensate?”

We didn’t plan to send the finalists into a faulty kitchen as a part of the challenge. However, I think cooking in different environments always presents different obstacles, so you have to be prepared to improvise. I was recently at a festival in San Francisco in which Guy Feiri, Aida Mollenkamp and Anne Burrell all performed culinary demos in the same outdoor kitchen. The wind was blowing hard that day, and it was very hard to keep the flame going. I noticed each one of them working through it, and even though they all handled it differently, everyone overcame the challenge with grace. These are very real situations the finalists are facing, and it tells us a lot about how they may face adversities as a Food Network star.

*****

Remember to send in your questions for this Sunday’s Episode 5 in the comments section of the Ask Susie – Episode 5 post.

Thanks!
Susie

Restaurant Hosts Colonial Feast for Thanksgiving and Other Historical Meals

The menu will include slabs of venison, root vegetables, dark rye, succotash and hasty pudding for dessert....

1. Karen Brown says:

I have wondered for years why Giada is allowed to destroy the Italian language and be sold as an authority. Now watching how pro Debbie you seem to be it is clear to me that you go for fakes. Both of those individuals make me ashamed of FN and Debbie gives me concern for your integrity when I see you supporting someone so underhanded with Bobby Flay the only one who even notices anything might not be okay. Shame on you!!!!!!

2. Ellen says:

Debbie has to go. Her lack of integrity detracts from the whole network. A network needs team players to succeed. Debbie is DEFINITELY NOT a team player.

3. Karen Dell says:

So far I completely agree with your decisions on whom you have cut. I know it must have been difficult to cut Jamika because of her charismatic charm. I also can see why it is hard to cut Debbie because of her TV personality. In my mind though, she already has proven she does not have staying power or integrity. I really like Jeffrey and Melissa. Probably identify more with Melissa because I find her the most interesting and her ideas intrigue me. I have seen her grow as a personality and was glad to see her pull her enthusiasm back some for the camera’s sake. When this is all done and the winner is chosen. Will there be a recipe book available?

4. Dora Hernandez says:

You know ever since you got rid of Mike I thought you guys lost it. Ok so he is loud Im sorry Debbie crying doesn’t make lies go away! come on I love you judges but you lost it there for a few.

5. Shirley says:

Surprise, surprise who you eliminated…from the get go you picked Melissa to win…just look at the picture posted…who is out front Melissa of course….and Bobbie Flay was falling all over her from the first show…so obvious it was sickening…..You will again have an annoying female if you give her a show…spoiled little rich girl like Sandra Lee and the Neeleys….every time their shows come on I change channels like many of my friends do. When will you listen to the viewers and not be so gun hole on putting who you want. Melissa is annoying and always saying how great she is ….she grew up with a hired cook in her family….she is not your typical "stay at home mom" quit selling her as such you do the real stay at home moms a slap in the face. Jeffrey is very warm and easy to watch you and your network would be better served if he wins but I will bet my bank account that will never happen….Just ask Bobbie and Susie…..they want this woman to win in the worst way….SAD

6. taylor. says:

i cant believe katie was sent home! she did great in the challenge and jamika or micheal should have gone home! im just so dissapointed katie was eliminated!! it wasnt her time to go.

7. Georgia Peach says:

Debbie should have been long gone from the competition. I haven't seen very much southern in her dishes and with her complete lack of integrity, I cannot imagine watching a show she is hosting.
    Since I am a south Georgia native, once upon a time I was excited about Paula Dean's show. After a few episodes, I realized she is not representative of a southern lady. Quite frankly, some of her programs have too many sexual overtures and are insulting. I agree with Vickie that she should return to southern cooking while loosing the fake persona and the silly giggles.

8. aleutian1 says:

It was definitely time for Katie to go. She said at the beginning that she knew she was taking a chance that there wasnt enough time to cook the turkey burger…so why did she even try? Also…it was like two inches thick! Why didnt she just make it thinner…it would have cooked all the way through. She doesnt seem to have even the most elementary cooking skills.

9. helen .p says:

way is melissa d'arabian is on sunday .way can she be on doing the week .

10. Joan Aspen says:

I am glad the lady who won won but I really beelive I could out cook these peoplei have been cooking since I was four and I am always creating new dishes I jsut can't help myself! I love simple good short cuts to cooking! How about a show that talks about ministry as well as cooking and call it Health food for the body and soul.