Getting My Fix

by in View All Posts, July 23rd, 2009

claire-robinson_tomatoes_s4x3_lg
Want to know what tempts the SC’s palate? Let her talk for 30 minutes with the lovely Claire Robinson, host of 5 Ingredient Fix, about the awesome recipes coming up on her new episodes, which start this Saturday. Two words: doggie bag!

SECRETARY CONFIDENTIAL: Claire, you’re back with a new season. How exciting! And this time we get even more food fun – thirteen episodes instead of just six. Was shooting them double the work, or was it easier the second time around?

CLAIRE ROBINSON: It was so much fun. This time I felt like I had flexibility to play with different kinds of menus because I had more shows. For example, on one episode I do a no-cook dinner where I don’t turn on the oven or stove for the entire show. I did an all Southern-inspired theme called “Southern Soiree in the City,” which is the first episode–I bring a little country to the Big Apple.

SC: Do you test your recipes on anyone?

CR: Oh, yes! Each recipe should be tested at least four times before I think it’s a perfect recipe. So, it might take me 20 times to get the recipe exactly where I want it. Then I test it four times in four different types of ovens and stoves. I’ll test it out on my husband, friends, my neighbors and my doorman. My doorman will leave notes on each empty plate offering his thoughts on the dish, like “I thought this one needed a little more kick,” or “This one was so good,” or “Needs more salt.”

SC: Do you have any dish about the new season to whet our appetites? It seems like you have no borders with your cooking.

CR: Yes, it’s the way I love to cook. I feel as though the new American cooking these days is food from all over the world. There is not one specific kind of American cuisine anymore. I really tried to show that in each of the menus. Probably one of my favorites is the “Sunset Alfresco” episode, which features seared sea scallops with a saffron aioli, a roasted beet salad with toasted hazelnuts and orange segments, and a green goddess rice. The colors of this plate will knock your socks off. It kind of looks like a sunset, and the smells that hit you are intoxicating.

SC: You’re sending over a doggie bag, right? It’s almost lunchtime.

CR: Ha-ha! Of course!

SC: Has there ever been a sixth ingredient you were dying to throw into one of your recipes? How hard is it to narrow down your ingredients to five?

CR: There are times I’d like to add a sixth or even a seventh. That’s when I rework the recipe because I don’t want to take a bite and feel like “Gosh, if I just was able to add this one other thing, it would have been perfect.”

SC: Now, rumor is that you sometimes eat the food you’re cooking with before the production crew can finish filming (can’t blame you)! Of the ingredients you work with on your show, what are the hardest to resist before the cameras stop rolling?

CR: Bacon!

SC: That was quick.

CR: Oh my gosh, I think that the kitchen was about to come out and put a meat fork in me. I was eating [the bacon] so fast. I’m constantly nibbling on it while were getting ready to shoot, By the time we’re going to shoot, it is all gone. Bacon — It’s a dangerous thing.

There ya have it, FN Dishers. Check out Claire Robison’s new season of 5 Ingredient Fix this Saturday at 12:30pm/11:30c.

And remember, eat well!
SC

10 Best Restaurants to Follow on Instagram

While the joke of photographing food has come and gone, what remains is beautifully lit pictures of truly delicious dishes. And if the hipsters starte...

1. Joey says:

Hey Claire, just saw two of yr shows. I liked the out of the ordinary receipts done simply. Learned new techniques too. Thanks. PS you are fun and cute.

2. lovs claires mouth says:

luvly mouth – la BOUCHE! xx

3. Frank Nitti says:

Hii Claire, i kno u probably hear this all the time… hope fully this will atleast make u smile if nuthing else.. but everytime i see ur face or hear ur voice.. I MELT!!…. My goal is to open up a restuarnt within the next 3 years realisticly whith the money im saving, inspired by my sicilian and argentin background. Fresh simple ingredients made with time and love that i grew to kno and love at a young age straight out of my grandfathers garden. I live in chicago and hope to establish i strong foundation and location to keep my love for food close to my love for my home, but in time expand..

4. Frank Nitti says:

…….Besides all of that i would love nuthing more than to one day see u walk threw my front doors of my resturant with that smile and thos eyes that could lite evry litebulb, stovetop and oven in the city.. of cours id like to have dinner with u if ur not involved with ne one at the time, n if u r it would still be my pleasur jus to escort u to ur seat n make shur u get ne and every thing u could think of.. n if its not on the menu il put it on the menu for u!… If fate has it one day our paths will cross and if nuthing comes of it i can still say i got to meet the most beautiful vibrent passionate oriented woman in the world! Truthfully ther are not meny good woman left in this world… i have tryd and still am but still havent found that one that connects to me, but i guess at 24 i shouldnt be in a rush to start a family…

5. Frank Nitti says:

…..N E ways i wanna tell u good luck in the future i kno u will be great nd i wish u all the health and happyness in the world.
    P.S: in the game of life most peoples hands r all fate cards and ther usually low numbers but they dont have the will power or the confidence n trust to play them so they trade them for other cards that they hope will make ther hand better for the time being.. but after all the cards are delt only the fate cards will get u closer to the jackpot and all thos other high number cards that everyone thought they needed to go over the top with will flop. i play the fate cards and my pair will beat ne Ace King ne day.. u cant bluff fate..
    Your Best Everything,
    Frank Nitti

6. Leone Frere says:

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.

7. gadget zine says:

i found Getting My Fix | The FN Dish – Food Network Blog Rattling wonderful visual appeal on this site, I'd rate it 10 10.

8. rick velez says:

hi claire i enjoy your show and your cookbook could u please sign a 8×10 to rick it be great to add with your book thank you so so much your recipes are good and kick ass rick velez 33 harwick la willingboro nj 08046

9. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

10. Camping says:

This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!