Ask Susie – Finale!

by in View All Posts, July 31st, 2009

Want to know what Susie really thought about The Next Food Network Star finale? Now you can ask her!

Susie will pick a few of the best questions entered in the comment section of this post and answer you directly via vlog next Friday, August 7.

- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 1
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 2
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 3
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 4
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 5
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 6
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 7
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 8

Don’t Hog the Oven: Slow-Cooker Thanksgiving Sides

How do you make the rest of Thanksgiving dinner with that big bird sitting in the oven? Pick up the slack with set-it-and-forget-it recipes for slow-c...

Comments (1,123)

1. Krissy H says:

Great show, you have my vote !

2. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

3. SueAtkinson says:

I can't believe that such a small imperfection could put you off so much. You must be stunning. You never could have watched Julia Child then. She was hardly a perfect physical specimen. And you would have missed a great deal. I hope you are not passing this bias onto children…..the world is tough enough

4. Melissa says:

I agree with you and her eyes are not sincere. I cannot watch her. Now her new attitude of instant credibility is on my last nerve. I so wish Jamika had not done the I am pissed thing, maybe she would be here. If it is about personality, she should be the winner.

5. timewarner says:

I agree with you Julia. She is so hard to watch. Everyone is critizing me for what I say about her but I should be able to say what I think. It's her attitude that I cant stand. My name is NOT time warner but Jennifer Ratliff.

6. luvcookin says:

Yes, you are correct. Your post does make you sound like a child. To judge someone based on something they can not change is immature.

7. Vicki says:

I'm no beauty queen but I agree….I also agree that there is nothing she can do about it…..And I also know that there is nothing she can do about having the evilest looking eyes….BUT!!!….There IS something she can do about her attitude

8. MadisonFood says:

Well, if you want to be Julia – she would not have won any beauty contests either. I happen to think Melissa is adorable and I am hoping she will be able to present her recipes and instructions. She invigorates me to want to cook in the same way as Rachel Ray – their enthusiasm and obvious love of what they are doing. Jeff was good in the beginning, but does not seem to get away from sweet and heat. Melissa has even risked her pallet by tasting chiles to make sure she is going to present a great dish. I appllaud all the time she has spent to become a wonderful chef and personality

9. Candy says:

Her whole smiley saccarine sweet personae is irritating to me. I also cannot image watching her for 30 minutes. I found her video just patronizing and definately won't be watching her new show. I know how to saute chicken.

10. optimist says:

Melissa obviously had her teeth refaced. She may have had crooked teeth and the dentist put veneers on them. They do look abnormally large. Her smile has always bothered me. Giada De L. also has a big ugly toothy smile.

I won't be watching Melissa.

11. Dawn says:

I don't think that's what would prevent me from watching her show. However, I did notice today how long her teeth are and I really do find it unattractive. jmo

12. dottie says:

Where do these comments come from? In regards to Melissa's teeth — have you ever noticed the HORSE TEETH on Michelle Obama??? Would you dare "blog" that comment on a website where she would see it??? It really gets nasty when you don't get your way because you wanted the receding hairline of Jeffrey looking out at you from the TV..YUCK!!!

13. Anne says:

And which bodily "fault" do you possess? Lets see, huge nostrils, tiny boobs, big pores, hairy ears? Your comment about her tooth length has to be one of the most offensive reasons I have ever read of heard on why anyone would not watch a TV show.

I like cooking programs for what I learn about cooking. Frankly, I rarely watch, I listen, until there is a demonstation and she was the most consistent in giving information about what she was doing and why over the course of the show and it really came out in the final program.

14. I cannot believe some of thecomments I've read during this season. They have degenerated to areas that don't have anything to do with the subject of cooking, hosting, camera-readiness, etc. Now we're looking for finalists with perfect teeth? If your first inclination was to apologize, then you knew right then your comments weren't appropriate.

15. marmar says:

I have to agree. I think the smile is phony, and her voice drives me crazy…like she's rushing to a fire. They picked a dull contestant one other time — the woman that wanted to leave and they convinced her to stay–she won — Something about the Gourmet Next Door — where is she — thank heavens she's gone. With any luck — this one will be gone Real Fast. By the way she did her promo on 4 step chicken with lemon and Thyme….where did she put in the Thyme….she's gotta go. They really got it wrong.

16. SueAtkinson says:

well written-I agree!

17. angbach says:

I really couldn't stand when she got the people crying last week with the sympathy vote "My mother committed suicide"!!! Idiot. I can't stand looking at her and I WON'T look at her show. What's going to happen to the "stay at home mom" now that she's got a big network job. WHAT A FAKE SHE IS. My husband and I wanted Jeff to win……we're totally disappointed as the Food Network is something we always watch.

18. clightnerringenberg says:

Melissa has not become a chef…she is a cook. The show that is being proposed, i.e. feeding four for under $10.00 is all ready being done by another. Jeffrey at least had a spark. I imagine all the takes needed to finish a show…one would never know which Melissa was showing up. Jeffrey was interesting and his concept was really good. I would love to watch that show. Next time, please don't put the network star in the middle of the picture and out in front so the internet site shows which person won the contest before it happens. It would be wise to use Jeffrey on his own show. Sorry. Melissa just doesn't do it for me. I wonder how many hours she is going to give up with her four children under five…nannies are not mothers!

19. Carmellasue says:

Wow, I agree with you, Sue……. How shallow!!!!!! It is difficult to be a wonderful cook (remember the comments about her pastries from all of the judges including the top pastry chef in the world) Does one need to be Mrs. America and a fashion model to please you? I agree about the Julia Child comment. A wonderful woman. Seriously, what a shallow and nasty person you are. I hope you don't have any children to pass this attitude on to.
    Carmellasue

20. I'm sure that a far better "Asian" chef than Debbie is out there, waiting to be discovered. Other than her "camera-readiness", there wasn't anything that recommended her to me. I never found her food offerings to be particularly Korean, as I never found out just what in particular made Korea's cuisine different from Thai…Chinese…Japanese…Vietnamese… If I use soy and garlic, am I cooking 'Korean'?? If I cook grits, am I cooking Southern style?? What she had to say when she was smiling into the camera lens did NOT match up to her behavior behind the scenes. Her believability factor was a big, round zero.

21. Willie_D_Man says:

Yeah… I agree to a point… I don't trust Debbie, I would rather download recipes off of a stranger from the internet than to trust her… And you can find about any ricipe you want there. Asian food would be nice on the FN but that was not what she promised… She promised an Asian – Shouthern fusion. Which She Never Delivered!!!

22. luvcookin says:

Debbie? You mean Debbie the liar? Nah, I don't think so.

23. Linda S says:

teri, we do not need anyone with Debbie's ethics and integrity issues representing the Asian (general) or Korean (specific) culinary POV. She didn't even do that well. All she seemed to add to food to make it Korean was soy sauce, garlic and ginger. What happned to those remarkable little chilis? Where was the heat that so permeates Korean food? Where was the sesame oil and where were the wonderful ccmbinations of fresh produce? and so on and on. She wasn't cooking Asian or Korean. Funny thing.. Ina garten had a wonderful asian salad on her show today. She isn't Korean. She is jewish.
    Linda S

24. DB from Chgo says:

I must disagree…Debbie was a phony who lacked any credibility. I found her to be insincere, untrustworthy and downright sneaky. I'm convinced she over dramatized the black eye incident.

25. @txrich says:

Debbie was not the best. Her Korean cooking and I only saw one example of it was poor at the best. I have seen teenage girls at the Korean church my wife and I use to go to that cook rings around her and their ages usually ranged from 14 to 18. Her southern cooking was average. In other words she failed at all she said she would do. I would love to see an asian chef or cook but Debbie just wasn't it.

26. nancy says:

She could have won if she showed integrity. Debbie should have been gone after the first show when she lied.

27. Karen Donzell says:

Where I agree that an Asian inspired show would be very interesting to see, Debbie Lee would never have been my choice of a host!!! She was dishonest, sneaky, and constantly made excuses for her shortcomings. She should have gone home the first week she went over budget and came back to tell her team that she came in UNDER budget (a lie), and then decided to serve an embarrassing dessert of store bought angel food, ripped to shreds, thrown on a platter and sprinkled with fruit and chocolate! She could have at least baked mini muffins or cakes and served them with a homemade fruit sauce if she was trying to keep it simple!

28. Bob says:

Who in the world would watch that oink lie, cheat, and steal through a 1/2 hour???

29. Lisa says:

I agree that an Asian food show is needed — it is too bad that Debbie shot herself in the foot on too many occassions, otherwise she could have been that person. Someone, somewhere is out there to fill in that gap for Asian food.

30. sshelbel says:

I am glad Melissa won. I was torn but really pulling for Melissa. I like how she breaks down cooking into easily remembered tasks. This is the kind of cooking I want to learn. 4 step chicken is something I can remember and improvise on. I can't wait to hear more cooking tips and be able to use what I have on hand and eat well. So many recipes are so intricate and specific about amounts and type of ingredients that it is too complicated to really do quickly and easily.

I really like Jeffery's "Ingredient Smuggler" slant. I would love to see FN pick him up in addition to Melissa. They did it with Adam Gertler and Kelsey is on FN2 so why not Jeffery? I do like exploring a new ingredient now and then. Even if I don't actually cook with it the next time I am at a restaurant I understand what I am reading on a menu and may try it there.

31. Cathy says:

You are absolutely right on this one. I didnt believe any of her family "stories" I mean come on, no one has the exact comments from family members that seemed to fit so perfectly into each competition. Her lack of integrity was a real turn off, I think she would have thrown her mom under the bus if it meant her going on to the next challenge. I am surprised she lasted as long as she did. However she was certainly not alone this season, there were numerous "chefs" that lacked integrity. I still believe Jeffrey would have been the best choice of having his own show. Finally someone with a different angle that we could benefit from watching. To me, Melissa is just a blonde Rachel Ray.

32. Foodie too says:

Furthermore, Debbie was completely unbearable with her "active listening" stance – the way she would cock her head and lean in, as if to say, "I can't hear you from here, but I want to. Please tell me…" OMGoodness. She stayed on the show way too long for me.