Ask Susie – Episode 3

by in View All Posts, June 19th, 2009

Want to know what Susie really thought about The Next Food Network Star, Episode 3? Now you can ask her!

Thank you for all your submitted questions)! Comments are now CLOSED for this week’s “Ask Susie” Episode 3. Click on the links below to watch Susie’s Answers to your questions.

- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 1
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 2
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 3

What to Watch: Backyard Weekend Barbecues, and On-the-Go Cooking on Cutthroat Kitchen

For this Labor Day weekend, Food Network has a great selection of grilling and barbecuing episodes starting with The Pioneer Woman and Trisha’s ...

1. leyla says:

It seems like Melissa’s repertoire is limited to chicken. Does she cook anything else? To me it seems like there is so much lack of an overall talent in the contestants this year. The only one that is well rounded and can carry this on to the end and is capable of having a show is Jeffrey.

2. coy says:

I just voted debbie off,but i think with the exception of jeffrey,
    the others shouldnt even be there..jeffrey has alot of promise,and would be the only one i would watch on tv.hopefully you guys will pick a better group of people next time.all of us at the plant love watching anything with bobby flay in it.iron chef america,good eats,throwdown,tylers ultimate,among our favorite shows to watch.thanks for the oppurtunity to post our views on this great website,where my recipebox is getting very full.such is the life of a single dad…thanx

3. girloftheworld says:

state in the directions to “reserve marinade”. To name a couple “Grilled Pork Tenderloin” by Paula Dean and “Chicken Tagine with Green Olives” by Tyler Florence. I don’t ever trust reserving the marinade but yet the chefs are telling us to do it.

Jill on June 24, 2009 at 10:09 am

That means you reserve a bit of miranade out BEFORE you use it. however, using it boiled on the same meal is not the same as Jamikas ” save it for another use” tip

4. Cheryl says:

@jill – thanks for mentioning Tyler’s self-contradiction. I don’t agree with you (I’m a marinade boiler from way back!) but am glad that someone noticed that he said that.

5. Cheryl says:

@girloftheworld I watched the episode and totally missed her saying reserve it for another use, when she said reserve it and boil it, I took it for granted that she meant to use it *in that meal*. At the worst she was not very clear in her communication.

But if what she meant by “reserve the marinade” to save it for later (ie another meal), it is ooky. I look forward to hearing a response. Unfortunately I deleted the episode from my tivo so I can’t rewatch it for myself.

6. MagMom says:

I have to agree with Lana Banana and Diane G. I don’t need to hear “personal stories” from my cooking show hosts. The occasional reference is fine but don’t blather on about your life. I would like to see more money-conscious tips like growing your own herbs or tenderizing tougher cuts of meat. Unlike a lot of other posters, I like most of the remaining contestants. But, please, FN producers try to have your “stars” utilize correct grammar. I won’t watch the Neelys for this reason. Don’t get me started on their redundant dialog, lack of culinary skills, and the innuendo!

7. Steve says:

Too bad you couldn’t have bent the rules and gotten rid of Teddy and Eddie at the same time – that would have been a strong statement. Clearly, neither is cut out for hosting a show on the Food Network. I do understand that doing that would have made the series one show shorter, which doesn’t work from a programming standpoint! I’m curious to see whether or not Teddy is next to be cut. It seems like a foregone conclusion. He’s clearly the weakest link now – although I’m afraid Katie is not long for the show, either. She does have an interesting “hook” for a show, a nutritionist who makes tasty food – I can easily imagine a show based around that premise – but so far she hasn’t shown that she can a.) make nutritious food that is particularly tasty, or b.) carry a show with her personality. She seems like a sweet young woman who means well, but not a TV star.

After that, the remaining contestants are all pretty strong and I can imagine any of them hosting a show. So we will have a couple more episodes of weeding out the people who obviously aren’t going to work out, and then things will start to get really interesting!

But maybe someone will make a miraculous comeback – what do I know? Looking forward to watching and finding out!

8. Kathy says:

Doesn’t telling the truth have to be something that is important to the judges? I would not watch Teddy or Debbie on a show of their own because they don’t have any integrity. FN should put more shows on like Jamie Oliver (or more of him). Thanks.

9. AltadenaDave says:

I lost all respect for the judges after this week’s episode when they permitted Teddy to remain after he lied about his role in the team portion of the challenge. He flat out, brazenly *lied* and got caught at it and still he gets to continue in the competition? Sorry, Susie, :Bobby and Bob – is this really the message you want to send? More than Teddy’s lies, now I question the integrity of the judges themselves.

10. Lasaira says:

I really have been disappointed with this seasons contestants. The last few seasons have been full of contestants that have skill and great personality. This year should have been screened better. It’s just depressing.