ASK SUSIE – Episode 1

by in View All Posts, June 5th, 2009

Susie

Want to know what Susie is really thinking about The Next Food Network Star finalists? Now you can ask her!

*************

Thank you for all your submitted questions! Comments are now CLOSED for this week’s “Ask Susie” Episode 1. To watch Susie’s Answers, click on the below links.

- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 1
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 2

Traditional Fried Chicken Flies the Coop in Favor of the Sweet and Spicy

There are few foods revered for their simplicity and nostalgia-inducing power like crispy, juicy fried chicken. But on Thursday night, 17 prominent Ne...

1. celine says:

you may well need an asian minority but one with integrity and honesty. and you don’t have with the above mentioned person. i was stunned when you allowed her to stay. no i am NOT predjudiced. (we have a very eclectic family with asian, hispanic and caucasian family members) with such wonderful hosts that seem to espouse honesty this decision just blew my mind. wow.

yes, paula is a trip. my goodness… if she would just learn to say, “oil”. then i could watch her more LOL drives me crazy but i know she loves her family and that goes a long way with this gramma.

2. Kisha says:

Thanks Audrey. You hit the nail on the head.

3. Audrey says:

First I love the Food Network and the Next…contest. But I am really appalled at the negative comments about some of the hosts. Everyone who cooks is not a trained chef. I would pit some home grown cooks against some of the best culinary trained experts any day as their food would taste better.

People do not have to go to culinary school to be able to cook. If so, most of us would have starved as our moms did not go. I personally like real food from real cooks. Your personal opinion is just that, your opinion, not the rule for everyone.

Besides that, people identify with different things. Everyone is not the same and everyone does not want to watch a network of the same show with the same type of hosts.

Rachael is good for the set who likes to cook quickly and without all the fuss. Paula is good for the home cooks who like good food. The Neelys are good for those who like to cook soul food with a twist. The average person can identify with them. It is sometimes hard to identify with a Giada or a Mario who sometime come across as if they are better than.

I identify with the Neelys, Big Daddy, and Sunny. Yet, I identify with Bobby, Ina, and Paula too. But, for ages those of color watched the Food Network not seeing anyone that looked like them or their lifestyle. I say it is about doggone time! Now let’s get Asian, Indian, Mexican and other faces on the air so that everyone can identify!

For those of you who can’t understand what Big Daddy is saying, try a little harder. It can only help you identify with others who are not just like you.

4. Susie: While I understand your thoughts about Debbie, I have to wonder how much consideration is actually given to public opinion. It is pretty clear from the blogs that Debbie has generated a very negative response. Do you think she can rehabilitate herself if she wins? Will the likelihood of rehabilitating her image even play into the final decision?

5. Rachel Coles says:

I don’t really have a question. My comment is that while Debbie was really funny, and I’m sure she made great crabcakes, she left her team twisting in the wind the whole time. First she didn’t get the ingredients people asked for, then she didn’t help them to resolve the lack of ingredients, and then lied about everything to you with her teammates standing right there, and failed to take responsibility for HER decision about the angel food cake. If I were a fellow Food Network person, I wouldn’t want to work with her.

6. Kat Knapp says:

After counting the days and hours until the new FoodNetwork chef show debuted, anticipation was dashed by lying, cheating and back stabbing Debbie. What a disappointment! If she isn’t eliminated this coming Sunday, I’ll not be around for the hoax again. I’ll search out Alton and Bobby and Ina and the other REAL cooks and chefs on the FoodNetwork and leave the dreadful Debbie for those who care more about ratings than Integrity.

7. Angela says:

I too think that Debbie should have been the one to go. I also want to say that I LOVE Big Daddy and the Neely’s. Diversity is a good thing! I can understand Aaron’s speech just fine, he’s fun to watch, and his recipes are delicious!

8. Cindy says:

My family and I have enjoyed FN recipes and shows for years, including The Next FN Star. I was very disappointed you kept Debbie. Maybe if we didn’t know her integrity was in question she might seem as though she might make a good FN Star choice. The point is though, we do know. For the record, I wouldn’t cozy up on the couch with coffee to watch her (sorry Giada). So far, my vote goes to Jamika; she’s charming, fresh and makes me want to try her recipes. She made me smile during her presentation.

9. Hazel Henderson says:

doesn’t anyone agree with me. with that voice and preaching I’d never watch a show with Katie.

10. Frances says:

I actually like Katie. I think she needs some training, as have all the past winners, but I think she could possibly pull it off. Jamika is my favorite at the moment. I agree with the two you've sent home so far. I don't think I could have watched Brett. My questions are how long are the contestants actually involved with the show from start to finish? Do they have any time off to rest or just go from one task to the next? And what do the people voted off do until the show is over? Do they gt to go home?