ASK SUSIE – Episode 1

by in View All Posts, June 5th, 2009

Susie

Want to know what Susie is really thinking about The Next Food Network Star finalists? Now you can ask her!

*************

Thank you for all your submitted questions! Comments are now CLOSED for this week’s “Ask Susie” Episode 1. To watch Susie’s Answers, click on the below links.

- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 1
- Watch Susie’s Answers – Episode 2

What to Watch: Backyard Weekend Barbecues, and On-the-Go Cooking on Cutthroat Kitchen

For this Labor Day weekend, Food Network has a great selection of grilling and barbecuing episodes starting with The Pioneer Woman and Trisha’s ...

1. Geri says:

I agree the show should have been 2 hours. As it was, it was difficult to know much of what really went on individually. It kind of all ran together. Like many, I agree Deb’s integrity is in question for her team leader mistakes and that character flaw far out-shined Jen’s poor dish. There appear to be some good people battling it out this year, but like last year, time will tell. Speaking of last year, I really pulled for Lisa and wish you would have given HER a show instead of Adam who makes me nauseous just looking at him. What a waste! I could barely stomach him in the contest and I sure wouldn’t watch whatever he did on his own show. He’s a jerk who got lucky I guess. What really upset me tho was that this show is about who WINS, not who places and gets their show as well as “the winner.” However, if you were going to give a show to someone else, Lisa should have had it. She was someone who was connecting with the audience, overcoming her fears and had the moxie to teach the home cook what she knows. I’m sure you didn’t want to have to spend a lot of time coaching her and wanted someone who could get off and running from the start. I do like Aaron and some of his dishes are great but his time slot is a killer. Hopefully the winner this year won’t have to share the “prize” of a new show with a runner-up!

2. Jean Greene says:

i have to second all the shocked and surprised comments when y’all chose to keep Debbie. she is NOT a team player. i would never trust her, and I WOULD NEVER WATCH HER SHOW IF YOU GIVE HER ONE, after her escapades on the first episode. integrity is very important to me, and i even LOVE crab cakes. that’s not enough. she seems very self-centered, and i agree, she threw her teammates under the bus as team captain.

i’ve been the most impressed with Jeffrey Saad — he obviously has cooking chops and works well under pressure, a team player, he seems like a good guy personally, and i believe he has the personal maturity to do the job. he pulled a wonderful dish out of that shopping trip disaster. I WANT TO WATCH JEFFREY SAAD’S SHOW on Food Network.

you now have Guy Fieri from last year’s competition — so i don’t think Jeffrey Saad is too laid back. variety is the spice of life. you don’t need a Guy clone to pull in viewers. Jeffrey’s getting lots of good buzz already

after watching Food Network the last year, y’all have inspired me to change careers and become a personal chef. thanks for being such a great network, and for being committed to the food and to teaching your viewers how to be good cooks. as Anne Burrell says, “You don’t have to be a restaurant chef to cook like one.”

i like everyone on the network; each offers something stimulating. i like the variety. i’m so glad i have a DVR so i can watch the programs i want that are showing while i’m at work

Jeffrey Saad!!!

3. Doris says:

As so many people have commented that Debbie should have gone, isn’t it very unlikely that she should be the Next Food Network Star? Add my voice to those others who said they would never watch her show!

4. Gina says:

Everyone agrees: Debi goes next.

5. Mariann says:

I agree with most of the postings that Debbie definitely should have been the one eliminated. She may have made a decent crab cake, but her overall performance as a team leader should have been taken into consideration. She made the decision to buy the angelfood cake and make that horrible dessert. That alone should have sent her packing. On another note, I have to give the contestants alot of credit for getting up in front of all the celebrity judges and presenting. I’m sure it must be very intimidating for them and it seems that some of the chefs in the audience can be quite harsh. It shows them in another light, not to desireable if you ask me.

6. Nancy says:

I enjoy watching the Next FN Star, but wonder about the quality of winners (ie, big daddy). When I watch a cooking show, I want to learn to cook from someone who really knows something and has training. when he was first on, I couldn’t understand a word he said either – sounds like he had a bit of “English” lessons. But nothing he has made appears to be from a real chef.

I am a bit tired of seeing more “characters” than real chefs that this network is going to. And why fill the air with all these shows about one of your “celebrities” going on the road to sample food here and there. One is enough! I couldn’t care less what a non-cook like Rachel Ray has to say about meals in a restaurant and I just plain have no interest in watching the Neely’s at all, much less what they have to say about restaurants.

You are missing the mark by getting rid of real chefs and just looking for “celebrities.” I watch Giada, Ina, Paula, Tyler, Jamie and just discovered “The Cooking Loft” and that’s about it. I used to watch more, but they’ve all fallen by the wayside for these “non-cook” celebrities. They can’t cook classic food or have knowledge of classic basics. I like things like “Ace of Cakes,” he’s a kick, but just don’t have time – interesting mind! I am surprised you actually put Jamie back on, but he’s on at a terrible time.

Please pick someone who is an actual cook who can teach and produce recipes we can use – isn’t that the point of the shows?

7. dorie lyn says:

If your network is to teach and entertain about cooking, isn't it also your responsibility to teach that integrity in the kitchen is the first rule? I'm apalled and disgusted you have traveled down this slippery slop. I hated last year's decision and quite frankly didn't like the year before. Guy Fieri is the only START to have emerged from this format. Perhaps you need to try something else. Like someone who wins a throwdown or has the REAL chops to do a show. These people are an embarassment to those of us who cook at home, for a living or are just foodies at heart. Really? Really? You kept Debbie?!!!!

Shame on all of you!

8. Doris says:

Susie, what’s happening to the travel shows–Giada’s Weekend Getaway’s, Rachael Ray’s Tasty Travels & Vacation, $40 a Day. These are shows that not only involve food but also sightseeing & activities. I know Giada has a baby & Rachael has her just-renewed talk show, but couldn’t someone take over the format? And why has the Food Network never picked up Marcel “Death by Chocolate” DeSaulniers? Is he under an exclusive contract to PBS?

9. tigergal75 says:

I was with you all the way, Nancy, re your observations on the FN’s leaning toward colorful characters instead of bona fide culinary experts until you mentioned Paula Deen. The Neelys don’t know ANYTHING, but neither does Paula. She’s just an embarassment to the South. I’m sorry to see that so many viewers want to axe Debbie, because she is the obvious pre-season favorite among the FN executives. She has a good on camera personality, and she represents a minority that is conspicuously missing from the current lineup! Get real, why else did they hang on to that goofy “Midwestern Indian” girl for so long last year? And two years ago they really wanted the Hispanic Jag. The FN is, after all, an entertainment business, and they are more interested in demographics than in chefs that have “the chops.” I guess they’re lucky that Bobby Flay hasn’t moved on as Mario and some of the other top-notch food talents from the early days have done.

P.S. They already have two skinny, pretty stars in Sandra Lee (another non-chef) and Giada and Amy Finley was a disaster. Most female FN fans prefer the “stars” who look as if they actually eat, and Debbie does.

10. Rodney says:

Great to see everyone again.
    Will you be doing your videos again like list year?