Always be nice to the assistant

by in View All Posts, June 18th, 2009

bobrachaelbobby
As Bob Tuchsman’s assistant my job is to manage his schedule (i.e. make sure he’s on time for meetings) and keep my eye out for the next big talent. Which is easier said than done since: A) Bob has a schedule that rivals that of President Obama and B) There is only one Rachael Ray. I’ve been his assistant for 2 and ½ years, and let’s just say that I’ve learned more than a couple of things:

1. Bob’s phone line is not the complaint hotline. phone
Yes, I know that your upset that Emeril was canceled, and I’m sorry that you’re having difficulty finding the latest Unwrapped episode, but calling the network and asking to be transferred to Bob Tuschman’s office isn’t the best way to getting your complaints heard. We have a complaint hotline, and the number is (865) 560-3663…for my sake, please use it.

2. It is a lot harder to be a Food Network Star than you think.
A lot of people come up to us on the street and say they should have a show on the Food Network. But they might think otherwise if they really knew what went into it. The 30 minute cooking show that you see on television actually took 12-14 hours to shoot…and imagine having that to do that for weeks on end…. AND then add all the media requests and other promotional obligations that are required of the chefs. Believe me – it’s not all chopping and yummo’s.

3. We aren’t supposed to have a favorite but I do…
…and her name is Sunny Anderson. Not to say that all of the other talent on are network aren’t amazing, but Sunny was signed around the time that I started working here, so I’ve been able to see how she went from obscurity to the star that she is today. So make sure you watch her show (if you don’t already)!

4. Even when you work for a TV network, it can be difficult to get your idea on the air.
The Programming department is made up of 13 opinionated people with very different personalities and viewpoints. It’s rare that we all come to agreement on a topic. But the great thing about this network is that the assistants here are actually encouraged to pitch our ideas and potential talent to the executives. Thus, giving us the chance to show chefs who we believe in and think would be great for the network. So in conclusion and most importantly….

5. Always be nice to the assistant.
You never know where your submission tape might end up and having a positive attitude when you deal with assistants, always makes it easier for us to champion your cause.

Christine, Bob Tuschman’s Assistant

25 Ways to Use Sauerkraut

Oktoberfest in Germany may have ended, but you can keep the celebrations going all month long. Sauerkraut, a traditional German fermented cabbage, isn...

1. Lisa Gibson says:

Christine,
    As an Assistant, I can say that we run things. Where would Bob be without you. You get things done for him and yes, people should always be nice to the assistant. :) You go girl!

2. Hello Christine,

Bless your heart for reading all these letters. Please send this up the chain of command if you wish. I was watching Secrets of a Restaurant Chef and the music is completely unnessasary. Tonight, chopped was non-stop music, it is hard to relax and watch a show while music is distracting from the voices. Please send the person that came up with the idea that we can't watch a great cooking show without some stimulating music back to the Disney Network.

3. momslifeponderings says:

This is my first look at the FN's blogs. I love the Food Network and the escape it gives me from a crazy day! I can only imagine how crazy your day is! My favorite show is Next FoodNetwork Star. I love it so much that my friend and I auditioned when there was a casting call in Atlanta. I wrote about it (A Year of Change: Taking Risks and Eating Triple Chocolate Cupcakes) in my blog. What a fun day! We didn't get past the first round, but we had a great time! Keep up the good work!

4. B White says:

OK. This is my second attempt at feedback on the sandwich king show. In a nutshell, move the camera back about 2 feet (your on top of the guy), The scale of his surrounding and tools should be bigger to make him seem smaller, raise the countertops about three inches or lower him also, fill dead time with him chopping or something as in other food shows (not punch lines), better closeups of the sandwiches, his set is to stark, and he needs a "thing" to make his identity (sunglasses, cigar etc.), some other style of dress (not a dumpy shirt with the tail pulled out), the show comes across as a one town show, why limit it?, less focus on the handwashing (we get it). I still the thinkhim and the show has great potential, but as it is I'm not sure.

5. from many diferent countries. Please check our web (www.cookinrio.com) and if you have a time to come over to have a cooking class with me , it will be a pleasure!
    Tell Bob that he needs a Brasilian woman cooking in the food channel! acctually ME!
    Um beijo
    Simone Almeida

6. shannon says:

who ever is in charge of your programming should be fired ,,,all the chefs i enjoyed watching are gone,,,dont enjoy cupcake wars,or challenge,,or fat chef,,what is this crap!!

7. Dave says:

Bob Tuchman clearly lacks good sense, and has topped out, given his inappropriate response tof the Paula Deen kerfluffle

8. Phyllis says:

Have you ever said or done something wrong in your life. I like Paula Deen and hope you think again about taking her off Food Network