Bobby and Rachael Debate

by in View All Posts, May 20th, 2009

Did anyone catch this mornings Rachael Ray Show? Rachael invited Bobby Flay, Sunny Anderson, Rocco DiSpirito, and Adam Perry Lang to have a round table chat on summer entertaining.

My favorite part was seeing Bobby and Rachael debate over burger patties. Not sure who won the debate, as both Rachael and Bobby stuck to their guns, but I’m curious to hear your guys’ take on the dispute. This is the disagreement:

Bobby Flay puts nothing INSIDE his burger patty. No chopped onions, no garlic, no bell pepper, not even salt and pepper. He liberally puts salt and pepper outside the patty, but nothing inside. (Here are Bobby’s perfect burger rules).

Rachael Ray likes to mix every ingredient combination possible in her burger patties: from worcestershire sauce to fennel seed to chipotles, and of course, salt and pepper.

Bobby’s argument: When Bobby wants a burger, he wants a burger….not meatloaf.

What side are you on?

-Rachael

Cooking with Gas: Where to Find Great Gas Station Food

Ah, the open road. You know you are really and truly on a road trip when you pull into your first gas station and start gorging on gross snacks. What ...

1. Amber says:

I love soy sauce, onions, and a bit of sugar to caramelize in mine, so I guess I’m in the Rachel Camp!!

2. Gina says:

I agree with Bobby. If you have a good cut of meat, and cook it perfectly, you won’t need to hide behind other ingredients. get creative with the burger toppings…don’t mess with the meat.

3. Flay Day says:

I’m not trifling with breadcrumbs. Big ups to Bobby!

4. Cheft says:

meat is meat, it goes on the grill. Bobby is right. Condiments go on the outside and are the choice of the individual, if you put them inside, how do you take them off if you do not like them ????

5. Sara says:

I am a big meat fan – especially red meat – but who likes to eat it without seasoning? Great chefs use seasong because they know it improves the dish! I don’t know if I want to go crazy on mixing it in (I agree with Cheft that you may want to take condiments off) but I’m down with having a little extra seasoning in every bite. Mix in the salt and pepper!

6. Carly says:

Since Rachael I have been mixing seasoning into the burger and I love it- so I am also in Rachael’s camp!!

7. Robin Koury says:

Both Bobby and Rachael make excellent points. If we’re talking about a true all-American burger then I must side with Bobby. When I think of a true burger I think of nothing more than bun – burger – topping – bun! However, to create even further diversity with ground beef I can certainly see where Rachael’s burger “mix-ins” have their place.

8. Lana says:

Ground beef burgers, I’m with Bobby – Keep it Simple and let your quality ground beef do the talkin’ in your burger. Chicken, turkey, veggie or “anything else” burgers, I’m with Rachael – Bump up Flavor and moisture with whatever works!