Next Food Network Star — Shoot revealed

by in View All Posts, April 20th, 2009

By now, you must have all seen the new Next Food Network Star (NFNS), Season 5 promo running – if not, take a minute to get caught up:

Well, my lovely department, Creative Services, oversaw the entire shoot (video and photo) for the ENTIRE promotional campaign of NFNS 5.

So, for all you Next Food Network Star junkies out there, impatiently counting down to June 7th, here is a play by play of the shoot day (from a secret inside source) to tide you over!:

• 6:20a – Arrive at Chelsea Market to assist making sure that the crew gets in and set up. The market is actually quiet. The production company, Mrs.K, starts setting up.
  • 7:30a – The first four contestants, Teddy, Jen, Katie, and Michael arrive.

• 8:00- 10:00a Separate and label the clothes for the contestants. Go through shirts with Michael, contestant, finally, decide on a shirt. Make sure that the contestants are in the right outfit at the right time, in the right place, throughout the day. Walkie talkie starts to weigh down whole body.
  • 8:30a -Two more contestants, Jeffrey and Jamika arrive.

First shot of the day, at the vegetable market with Teddy and Jen:

• 10:00aBobby Flay arrives. He comes by himself. The last four contestants, Brett, Eddie, Melissa, and Debbie arrive as well.
  • As the contestants arrive throughout the day, the main objective is to make sure that they don’t talk to anyone – working reality competition shows is all about staying clandestine when shooting in the field.

• 10:00a – Bobby has a serious wardrobe situation with a pinstripe suit miscommunication. Must do an emergency steam for the stylist. Remember from past experiences, that you can be bad at steaming.
  • 10:15a – Coffee shoot with contestants Debbie and Melissa, and Bobby Flay. To reduce spillage, there is no actual coffee in the cup Bobby drinks from:

• 10:30aBob Tuschman and Susie Fogelson arrive on set from their day jobs at Food Network (Bob is head of programming, and Susie is head of marketing), for hair and make-up.
  • 10:36a – Notice contestant, Brett, talking innocently to a crew member. Reluctantly and politely asks him not to because he can’t talk to anyone outside of the other contestants.
  • 11:15a – Quietly ride down in an elevator with Bobby Flay to…the elevator shoot.
  • 11:30a – Bobby and Eddie shoot final scene:

“There’s Bobby Flay” whispers becoming more frequent as the market gets more crowded.

• 12:00p – Elevator shoot with Bob, Susie and Bobby. They are all very comfortable with each other, like old friends.

• 1:30p – Bob Tuschman and Susie Fogelson wrap for the day.
  • 1:30-2:00p Lunch – Sandwiches, chips, fruit. Contestants eat the same.
  • 2:30p – Go to get Bobby Flay for next task, he’s buying a fruit milkshake, and taking time out to snap a pic with two very enthusiastic, but gracious fans. He thanks them.
  • 3:15p – Listen to Bobby Flay reading lines through headphones. He is both confident and professional as he zips through lines.
  • 3:30p – Bobby Flay wraps. Someone offers to go upstairs to get his stuff for him from the 6th floor greenroom, but he doesn’t mind getting his own stuff, and leaves in the car waiting for him.
  • 4:30p -The contestants have down time, and try to balance the tiring day by playing Uno with their own crew, and then they watch part of Shawshank Redemption.
  • 6:00p – Leaves for the day…exhausted.

Be sure to check out any and all FN updates now on twitter.com/_FoodNetwork!

-Sommer, Creative Services

25 Ways to Use Sauerkraut

Oktoberfest in Germany may have ended, but you can keep the celebrations going all month long. Sauerkraut, a traditional German fermented cabbage, isn...

1. Robin Koury says:

Sommer! I love the promo for NFNS. It’s creative, engaging and totally has my clock on a countdown to the premiere! Fabulous job all around. As a viewer one would never assume that it took 12 hours to set up and shoot a 34 second promo! The amount of time, rules, and creativity that goes in to a promo such as this is astounding. Yet, when it all comes together and finally airs it must be an incredibly rewarding experience.

2. Alex says:

I like the Food Network Humor version better :) Great for a laugh.

3. Lana says:

Welcome back Sommer. Enjoyed your last post too; look forward to more from you.

I was taken with the first NFNS promo I saw – the one with Bobby walking down Chelsea Market with star bursts coming from his foot falls. That was a good one. This promo is cleverly done too – and as Alex mentioned, FNH did a great parody – a sign of a successful effort on your part! (nobody parodies bad commercials) :)

I do have a question for you – based solely on the work you had to do with the contestants on the day of this shoot – were there a few contestants who you felt worked the best with cameras and crew? And in your opinion, is that telling of who may go the farthest in the competition?

4. Mallory says:

To Lana-

I didn’t get a chance to see a lot of contestants on camera, but I got to know their personalities during our down time. They were all lively and talkative. And they all seemed comfortable on camera. My personal favorites were Teddy and Michael; they were the most at ease. I can see them going far in the competition.
    Hope that helps!

From – Secret Insider

5. Lana says:

Mallory, yes that does help, thank you! In the relatively short time I’ve been watching FN and participating in FN-related discussion boards, it seems to me that viewers are looking for a comfortable, easy-going personality on screen, who (of course) is incredibly knowledgeable about food and cooking in *all* its many forms. In my very humble opinion, I think that’s where previous years’ competitors have gone wrong – an awkward host is simply uncomfortable to watch. We’ll change the channel.

I wish this years’ competitors the best of luck. :-) And I do hope you’ll continue to share your Secret Insider tips and opinions with us throughout the competition. Best to you, too!

6. Liz says:

Is there any way you can expand this blog to a on-air segment? It’s so neat! Everyone I know who likes the show *LOVES* to read/see stuff like this!

I think if I got to ride in an elevator with Bobby Flay, I’d probably pass out.

Also, UNO and Shawshank Redemption? Did they take a time portal to the mid-90s?

7. Ruthchaya says:

I have been a big fan of the next food network star for the last 3 seasons. Last Friday, I thought I saw Bob Tuschman at Fish and Farm restaurant, my eyes popped. I do really enjoy the show!

8. Christina says:

Liz — I think that is a fabulous idea! I would totally watch a show like that. And make it a regular series or something, not just a once a year special.

9. Maria Hernandez says:

Sommer,
    LUV, LUV, LUV your blog!!!

10. I hope to be a contestant in the future!!! Cool advertisement!