Snowy Food Days

by in View All Posts, March 3rd, 2009

A frigid, snowy, blustery day means long lines for soup. Everyone in the office was craving a steamy bowl of one variety or another. I was personally drooling over and craving a cup of chili I tasted from the kitchen last week. I’m not sure if it was a product of the test kitchen or just one of the chefs playing around, but it was really delicious and a winner in my book. Normally I would go up to the kitchens and snoop around for leftovers, but things are pretty quiet this week.

I started roaming around the Chelsea Market to see what other cold-day comfort foods I could come with. Here is what I came up with: “farm made” lasagna, stuffed cabbage, or grilled cheese. I went with the lasagna accompanied with a rustic roll and EVOO – it delivered the coziness I was craving as I slipped away from TV Land for a half hour.

What are your favorite snowy-day meals?

Stay warm!!

Operation Foodie

10 Best Restaurants to Follow on Instagram

While the joke of photographing food has come and gone, what remains is beautifully lit pictures of truly delicious dishes. And if the hipsters starte...

1. Amber says:

Last night brought mac and cheese made with cheddar, chevre, and pepper jack, with some black pepper to taste.

Mmmmmmm. Comfort Food.

2. Robin Koury says:

My favorite snowy day comfort food is homemade chicken pot pie. Its a dish that takes almost all day to make and fills my home with delicious aromas! I have to ask what exactly is “farm made” lasagna? It sounds both intriguing and scrumptious!

3. elsie says:

Your new format needs a little tweaking. I usually look up the recipes after a show that I like and I am having trouble navigating. I get a video every time and I don't want a video. I get a calender and I can't click on the calender because it's under some ad. Recipes don't seem to be under the current date, etc. I really enjoy watching Food Channel but can't write down the recipes as I'm watching so I go to computer when I can only to struggle. Very discouraging…

4. Lori Koonce says:

I can’t help it. I’m just a big kid at heart, so my favorite cold day food is Tomato Soup and a decent grilled sammie.

I’m a bit more adult in pallet though, so put a little Basil in that soup, and please add a bit of either really sharp cheddar or perhaps a little goat cheese on the sammie Thank You!

5. Lana says:

Elsie, I feel your pain. I am becoming something of a foodnetwork.com pro (or if not pro, I have at least intermediate standing! lol); may I offer some advice? Try using your favorite search engine (google or otherwise), and type in the FN host’s name and as much of the recipe name as you can remember. I’ve found that the recipe I want is the first one returned by my search engine. Just a thought.

My favorite snowy day meal is soup! And just about anything soup will work for me – “All But the Kitchen Sink” soup is tasty AND clears out the fridge of leftovers. lol.

My kids’ favorite is spaghetti and meatballs. We usually make a big batch of meatballs every couple of weeks and freeze the leftovers. They nuke up easily enough, so all we need to do is boil the pasta and make a homemade sauce. Easy shmeezy!

6. Denise says:

My favorite cold weather meal is stew with either hot bread or biscuits. And, like Lana, “Clean Out the Fridge Stew” shows up every so often–it’s a winner.

7. Very nice style and wonderful content material , practically nothing else we require : D.