URS Viewing Party – “Comfort Food”

by in View All Posts, View Video Only, January 5th, 2009

Subbing for Bruce, Sunny Anderson hosts a viewing party for the first episode of Ultimate Recipe ShowdownComfort Food.

Los Angeles Cafe Creates Edible Coffee Cup

For millennia, mankind has gazed at the heavens and wondered why coffee cups were made from plaster and ceramic, rather than edible foodstuffs. After ...

1. Jean says:

Will they be replaying the first episode? I was at the taping for the finals but I would really like to watch the first episode

2. Lana says:

Jean, there are reruns Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Check http://www.foodnetwork.com/ultimate-recipe-showdown/index.html for times.

Well Robin and Sunny, my bosom blogista buddies, great viewing party and dish! And a big thanks to Katheryn for being there too, adding her invaluable insight. It took me almost 20 minutes to watch a 4 minute video – the thing spent more time “buffering” than playing. Bandwidth issue? *big sigh* but worth it.

I didn’t see URS-1, so can’t compare then to now. But the back stories were very interesting to the audience, developing a crucial drama component to the show and giving viewers an emotional investment into who wins. I’m glad they were included.

Emily won our hearts, and I had to chuckle at her *ahem* fear of Guy’s spiky hair. *toothy grin* Katheryn, you think you can be intimidating? I think Guy’s got ya beat. And yeah, good-lookin’ chefs at the judging table will keep me from switchin’ channels every time. Diana is spunky!. She was all ready to take over Guy’s job – Bob T., can you say NFNS? Michaela would intimidate me, if I had to cook against her. Wow, incredible talent.

But Rick was the clear winner of the day – no doubt. I’m ready to make that mac n cheese, like, today. With that pastrami sandwich on the side. Yeah, that’s it. I’m feelin’ comfort already.

I’m eager for more dish next week!

3. Ruth says:

Loved the 1/5/09 show but where are the recipes listed. Would love to try the Mac & Cheese

4. A.P. says:

I LOVED that polenta cutter. I’ve spent a lot of time and effort trying to find a good way to cut those logs but never thought of something like that. I’m guessing AB is probably kicking himself he didn’t do it first. :-)

I’ll have to second Lana’s comment about the buffering though — I never have problems that bad with online video, but this was tough to watch. Every couple words I’d have to wait for the buffering to catch up. It looks like bandwidth issues on the server side. I’m looking forward to the next episode, and the next Dish…

5. Lana says:

lol @ A.P. – Culinary Tool Guru Alton would only make that polenta cutter if it’s a multi-tasker. Heehee – make the slice widths adjustable? And poof – rolled dough cookie cutter, buche de noel cutter, etc. *smiles*

Note to web designers – I’m wishing the video players would have an option to completely load the video. I wouldn’t mind letting it load, while browsing elsewhere.

Anyone else a bit confused by the URS scoring system? What were all those points for again? And it just seemed a bit odd to me that a 30-minute dish could beat out a 90-minute signature dish. The competition appears to be four cooks making two dishes each – and the best of eight dishes wins?

It just makes me wonder, is this a ‘best home cook’ show or a ‘best recipe show?’ If the former, then fine, but perhaps the title of the show should be changed? If the latter, then why night eight cooks instead of four? Curious on the decision-making process there.

At the very least, an explanation of the scoring system (perhaps on the show’s webpage) would be illuminating.

6. Lana says:

Oops, type alert !!
    *… then why not eight cooks instead of four …

7. The FN Dish says:

Hi RUTH – Just letting you know that Rick’s cheese lovers recipe is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cheese-lovers-5-cheese-mac-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

You can find all the recipes on the show by going to the show’s site: http://www.foodnetwork.com/urs (scroll down to where it says, “Recipes from the Show”).

Let us know if you try one and how it turns out!

All the best,
    Rachael
    The FN Dish

8. Ashley says:

I like this show, it gives more perspective and insights on what happened in the show. I know that I didn’t catch everything the first time i watched it.

The Polenta cutter was/is a great idea…love it

9. Diana Davis says:

The Polenta Cutter is not a uni-tasker! I use it to slice the bananas for my husband’s cereal, as well as softened butter (the fancy Artisan stuff from Vermont) softened cream cheese, and such things. It also entertains my nephews when I play is like a lyre. I’m going to make a smaller one to try and slice hard boiled eggs for salad.

10. A.P. says:

I ended up watching a part of the rerun tonight and it really jumped out at me now negative the judges seemed to be about the ingredients before they even tasted the food. If someone is making up a recipe on the fly, I can see some of the concern. On the other hand, if it’s someone’s specialty, they’ve probably had enough times making it to work out most of the major kinks. Anyway, it kind of bugged me hearing that perspective. Of course I didn’t notice that the first time I saw it, so who knows…

P.S. put some lighter fibers in the hard boiled egg slicer and it can be a multi-flosser too… :-)