Sunny’s Viewing Party – “Cakes”

by in View All Posts, View Video Only, January 20th, 2009

Subbing for Bruce, Sunny Anderson gets the behind-the-scenes dish from the “Cakes” episode of Ultimate Recipe Showdown.

Surprising Ways to Eat Your Oats

There’s no doubt oats are a healthy food. After all, they’re packed with soluble fiber (the kind that helps lower your cholesterol and hel...

1. Lana says:

Yay! The vid played all the way thru to 37 seconds remaining without having to buffer! Kudos, Yipees, Yawhoo's and "Happy Dances" to the technical staff!

I missed this episode Sunday night (was driving across Nevada at the time) and will have to catch a rerun. But I was curious about how the contestants would do, baking in a foreign kitchen under a time constraint. Robin is so right! If something goes wrong, there's no "fixing" it.

I'll comment more after I see the rerun, k? In the mean time, happy inauguration week, everyone!

2. Walter says:

Great afterparty ladies! Good job Robin with you comment when your baking. Next party is it possible to see the " Happy Dance" from everyone?

3. BrianN says:

Who doesn’t like cupcakes! Another fun episode. Great analogy about the baker and the cook.

4. Gail says:

I wish I had a chocolate malt cupcake right now! How can a cupcake be to sweet? Another great discussion ladies!

5. G.Carter says:

The analogy between a baker and a chef was spot on.The ladies on this show have a tremendous chemistry. I have to agree with others,WHO DOESN’T LIKE CUPCAKES!! I am personally pumped about the hot and spicy episode next week.My only question,what do a few avid viewers have to do to get a “happy dance” out of everyone?

6. A.P. says:

I’m siding with Lana again — this time on the kudos for the tech crew. Instead of 10-30 minutes of spooling time, this episode I only had about 10-15 seconds. Thank you!!!!

Robin — great comment on the bakers and cooks. I’ve seen that so many times in real life, especially since I’m a cook at heart and I work with a ton of bakers. One woman I work with commented at a team event that the bakers were like the accountants of the food world while the cooks and chefs were the trapeze artists performing without a net. I’d personally call it more conservative vs. experimental, but…

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who was surprised by the negativity towards cupcakes relative to traditional cakes. It’s true I’m not a baker so my perspective may be off, but to me it’s the same ingredients, the same techniques, and the same flavors — it’s only the portions size (and yeah, the cooking time) that differs. Criticizing one vs. the other seems a lot like criticizing individual entrees vs. family style.

I’m really looking forward to seeing next week — spicy is one of my favorite places to go. I just wish we could see a bit more of you guys each week on the Dish. It seems so quick & short. :(

7. Lauren Wii says:

If she did the happy dance to the cupcakes, wonder what kind of dance there will be for next weeks Hot n Spicy! Great show, love the blog.

8. Sue Noll says:

Love the after show comments, what a great panel of ladies!!!

9. I genuinely enjoy studying on this internet site, it has fantastic articles. “A short saying oft contains much wisdom.” by Sophocles.