Sunny’s Viewing Party – “Cakes”

by in View All Posts, View Video Only, January 20th, 2009

Subbing for Bruce, Sunny Anderson gets the behind-the-scenes dish from the “Cakes” episode of Ultimate Recipe Showdown.

10 Best Restaurants to Follow on Instagram

While the joke of photographing food has come and gone, what remains is beautifully lit pictures of truly delicious dishes. And if the hipsters starte...

1. Lana says:

Yay! The vid played all the way thru to 37 seconds remaining without having to buffer! Kudos, Yipees, Yawhoo's and "Happy Dances" to the technical staff!

I missed this episode Sunday night (was driving across Nevada at the time) and will have to catch a rerun. But I was curious about how the contestants would do, baking in a foreign kitchen under a time constraint. Robin is so right! If something goes wrong, there's no "fixing" it.

I'll comment more after I see the rerun, k? In the mean time, happy inauguration week, everyone!

2. Walter says:

Great afterparty ladies! Good job Robin with you comment when your baking. Next party is it possible to see the " Happy Dance" from everyone?

3. BrianN says:

Who doesn’t like cupcakes! Another fun episode. Great analogy about the baker and the cook.

4. Gail says:

I wish I had a chocolate malt cupcake right now! How can a cupcake be to sweet? Another great discussion ladies!

5. G.Carter says:

The analogy between a baker and a chef was spot on.The ladies on this show have a tremendous chemistry. I have to agree with others,WHO DOESN’T LIKE CUPCAKES!! I am personally pumped about the hot and spicy episode next week.My only question,what do a few avid viewers have to do to get a “happy dance” out of everyone?

6. A.P. says:

I’m siding with Lana again — this time on the kudos for the tech crew. Instead of 10-30 minutes of spooling time, this episode I only had about 10-15 seconds. Thank you!!!!

Robin — great comment on the bakers and cooks. I’ve seen that so many times in real life, especially since I’m a cook at heart and I work with a ton of bakers. One woman I work with commented at a team event that the bakers were like the accountants of the food world while the cooks and chefs were the trapeze artists performing without a net. I’d personally call it more conservative vs. experimental, but…

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who was surprised by the negativity towards cupcakes relative to traditional cakes. It’s true I’m not a baker so my perspective may be off, but to me it’s the same ingredients, the same techniques, and the same flavors — it’s only the portions size (and yeah, the cooking time) that differs. Criticizing one vs. the other seems a lot like criticizing individual entrees vs. family style.

I’m really looking forward to seeing next week — spicy is one of my favorite places to go. I just wish we could see a bit more of you guys each week on the Dish. It seems so quick & short. :(

7. Lauren Wii says:

If she did the happy dance to the cupcakes, wonder what kind of dance there will be for next weeks Hot n Spicy! Great show, love the blog.

8. Sue Noll says:

Love the after show comments, what a great panel of ladies!!!

9. I genuinely enjoy studying on this internet site, it has fantastic articles. “A short saying oft contains much wisdom.” by Sophocles.